Voter ID

Tigermike

Jenny recently started a thread “Photo ID Required to Vote, What is wrong with that?”

LINK

It seems that on the whole in general, that across the nation Republicans generally support Photo ID requirements and Democrats oppose them. For that reason I found it somewhat short sighted and hypocritical for the most honorable Senator from California, Dianne Feinstein, to require purchasers to show (photo) identification and to sign for cold medication. LINK

While I do recognize and agree that methamphetamines are a huge problem across the nation, is it a larger problem than voter fraud?

Here are several Feinstein votes of interest.

Voted NO on require photo ID (not just signature) for voter registration.

LINK

National ID Card Is Now Federal Law

LINK

The legislation being voted on had to do with first-time voters who mail in registrations, not presenting an ID card at the voting location. She voted no on this amendment because Democrats offered one that allowed photo ID's as well as other means of ID.

Senator Schumer:

"In fact, we have a system in New York that has been extremely successful at deterring voter fraud without creating new barriers for voters. So do many other States. That is why secretaries of state around the country are scratching their heads and wondering: Why won't we include signature and attestation as a way to allow voters to show they are the voter? We use signatures everywhere else.

In New York, our system of signature has been more successful, I would argue, than most other systems in preventing fraud. Here is how it works. Every voter in New York--not just first-time voters--is required to go through the following identification procedure--as my colleagues know, the bill only deals with first-time voters: When you register in New York, you must sign the registration materials. They are then scanned into a computer. The digitalized signature is then pasted into the poll roster.

On election day, each voter is required to sign the poll roster next to, but without seeing, the digitalized signature. Poll workers then compare the signatures, and if there is any question about the signature, the poll worker is authorized to challenge the signature. Poll workers do it all the time, and as a result, we have been able to prevent voter fraud without preventing eligible voters from exercising their rights.

New York is not alone. According to the GAO, 19 States and the District of Columbia use a signature verification or attestation procedure for verifying the eligibility of voters. An additional 22 States--that is 41 all together and the District--use a signature system in conjunction with something else.

This amendment serves a simple purpose. It allows those States to continue to use the signature procedures that they are effectively using now."

I know I'm asked to show I.D. every time I vote. Same w/ everyone else in line. No one considers it excessive in the least. It's just common sense.

I know I'm asked to show I.D. every time I vote. Same w/ everyone else in line.  No one considers it excessive in the least. It's just common sense.

158064[/snapback]

It must be a county thing or something because I've actually offered to show mine and they say there's no need.

Well, with me voting in slapout.. they knew who I was to begin with.

Heck, I knew over half the people in the voting place, heck half of half was related to me.

But I still showed my id

I know I'm asked to show I.D. every time I vote. Same w/ everyone else in line.  No one considers it excessive in the least. It's just common sense.

158064[/snapback]

It must be a county thing or something because I've actually offered to show mine and they say there's no need.

158065[/snapback]

Or it could just be a Georgia thing. Happened in conservative majority 7th district and liberal majority 4th and 5th districts.

Never attempt to use comon sense when dealing with a liberal. They lack the capacity and/or the desire to comprehend.

You're so much fun, Tim. I happen to agree with ya on this issue, and it looks like Al goes with the basic concept at least, and here you are goin' nyah-nyah-you're-so-stupid, as usual.

And silly me, here I thought it was the liberals who were supposed to do that, y'know, dismissing us as a buncha brain-dead rednecks while they fly over our states.

Better be careful--it's hard to keep your fingers in your ears when you want to point them at other people.

Guest Tigrinum Major

158064[/snapback]

158065[/snapback]

I have to show mine at my polling place and I thought it was state law. There are posters all around that show the different types of proper ID and then procedures if you don't have them.

Al, have you been showing up at those places that the Republicans set up to lure Democratic voters into in lieu of legitimate voting places so that the Dems votes won't count? :poke:

Al, have you been showing up at those places that the Republicans set up to lure Democratic voters into in lieu of legitimate voting places so that the Dems votes won't count?

I live in Alabama...those places aren't needed here!!!

Guest Tigrinum Major
Al, have you been showing up at those places that the Republicans set up to lure Democratic voters into in lieu of legitimate voting places so that the Dems votes won't count?

158218[/snapback]

Are you sure? Maybe they are just very effective in the deep South!

158218[/snapback]

Are you sure? Maybe they are just very effective in the deep South!

158220[/snapback]

I'm sure. There aren't nearly enough Democrats here for them to even bother with! Go look on a "Red State/Blue State" map. That little blue speck you see north of Montgomery...that's me!!! :big:

Archived