Refs in the SEC this year...

BHDAU1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Arky game was pretty bad.....guys on this board cry about stupid stuff though. We aren't a disciplined defensive team, we make up for it by effort and we are a good defensive team but not disciplined. Being stupid is why we didn't win a title last year. It ALWAYS come back to bite you in the end

I think that's the first time I have ever seen you says refs were bad. :D

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

I think that's the first time I have ever seen you says refs were bad. :D

I have said they were bad alot, it just have to be real calls.....alot of people would go directly to stats and say stuff like they went to the line 16 times to our 6 and not think about the style of play we play....We shoot a bunch of threes and don't pass......Yeah the other team are going to have more free throws.....we play full court defense 80% of the game....Yeah we're going to get beat more and foul more!

But I will admit i will never buy the everybody is against Auburn conspiracy...We're not even good enough yet to even feel that people would have to think that's an option

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

I have said they were bad alot, it just have to be real calls.....alot of people would go directly to stats and say stuff like they went to the line 16 times to our 6 and not think about the style of play we play....We shoot a bunch of threes and don't pass......Yeah the other team are going to have more free throws.....we play full court defense 80% of the game....Yeah we're going to get beat more and foul more!

But I will admit i will never buy the everybody is against Auburn conspiracy...We're not even good enough yet to even feel that people would have to think that's an option

You’re right that the “everybody is against Auburn folks” are nuts. But our style play actually sends us to the line a ton. We’ve attempted more free throws than our opponents in all but two of our games (Bama and Georgia). In many games we’ve had 10+ or even 20+ more free throws than our opponent.

I think the issue a lot of our fans are struggling with is that our style of play is much more physical on both sides this year than last year’s. This means that the refs have to make a whole lot more judgement calls which naturally creates more opportunities for mistakes. In the Kentucky game, the two teams combined for 68 free throws, and at one point Jay Bills still complained that the refs weren’t calling enough fouls. In a game with that much contact, it simply unrealistic to expect the refs to get everything right. I think a lot of folks on this board are gonna have to come to terms with those sorts of games being the norm for us this year.

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

.We're not even good enough yet to even feel that people would have to think that's an option

I am very much afraid that we are as good as we will be this year, due to the guard play. They are probably playing as well as they can, but a tourney team is only as good as its guards. It looks like we are at our ceiling due to the talent level being what it is. Effort will carry them for a good while though, because they do play as  hard as they can and will, barring injury or other calamities, win more games than I thought they would. I predicted 22 regular season wins and they will beat that. No way anyone should be disappointed with this group

10 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Hat tip to the SEC officials today.

I thought they called the best game all year.

I thought the same. They were consistent and didn't seemed to be concerned where the tv cameras were placed. Rare for that ilk

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Hat tip to the SEC officials today.

I thought they called the best game all year.

They aren’t SEC officials, but yes, they are really good today at AU. TV Teddy at the Duke/UNC game... yikes. 

I've been here at Snowshoe West Virginia on a ski trip with the wife and kids since Thursday and didnt have an opportunity to watch the Lsu game yet. It took all I had to not stay in the room to watch it, but I would have been in a lot of trouble with the wifey! It's good to hear that the game was called well. It's even BETTER to hear Auburn pulled out the win!  Cant wait to watch it when we get home tomorrow afternoon.  

On 2/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, cole256 said:

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy theory to say bad reffing at a bad time cost us the big show last year. Final 4, 8 secs in game, Va guard dribbles ball off his heel, grabs ball with both hands and starts to dribble again. Textbook double dribble the whole world saw except the unscreened ref 4 feet away. Auburn's ball, end of game, no foul on 3 point shooter 4 seconds later, we play in title game vs team Va went on to punk. Crying about reffing can be lazy but THAT non-call in THAT game WAS the difference.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy theory to say bad reffing at a bad time cost us the big show last year. Final 4, 8 secs in game, Va guard dribbles ball off his heel, grabs ball with both hands and starts to dribble again. Textbook double dribble the whole world saw except the unscreened ref 4 feet away. Auburn's ball, end of game, no foul on 3 point shooter 4 seconds later, we play in title game vs team Va went on to punk. Crying about reffing can be lazy but THAT non-call in THAT game WAS the difference.

I don’t think cole or anyone else was disputing that call. But the constant whining in the game threads about refs (and our players) is more than a little grating. 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:52 AM, tgrogan21 said:

Was expecting that video to be around 10 minutes. With all of the shiz that he does during games, it could be way longer. Have we had a game with him as the ref this year? I don't recall seeing him in one ... which I'm very happy for. Wish the SEC wouldn't renew his contract.

Davidson, and there were a lot of fouls called. 

Truthfully, dislike Doug Shows and his crew just as much, if not more. 

And I see the idea of conference refs being a thing in college basketball is still common. It's not a thing. Refs are not tied to conferences like basketball. 

6 hours ago, AUDub said:

Davidson, and there were a lot of fouls called. 

Truthfully, dislike Doug Shows and his crew just as much, if not more. 

And I see the idea of conference refs being a thing in college basketball is still common. It's not a thing. Refs are not tied to conferences like basketball. 

Never said it was a thing. Just that I wish the SEC would do what the Big Ten did and not offer him a contract to call games.

15 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I don't know what you are replying to but I don't think anybody said that wasn't a bad miss on a call......so that's just an argument you are having with yourself.....We were still stupid on the foul though.

13 hours ago, AuburnArch13 said:

I don’t think cole or anyone else was disputing that call. But the constant whining in the game threads about refs (and our players) is more than a little grating. 

Thanks, I was hoping I wasn't crazy as far as it's pretty clear what we were talking about and what I was saying

Archived