O & B Baseball Scrimmages

Scrimmage Game 1

Greenhill on the mound for blue in the first. Gives up a home run off the bat of newcomer Bryson Ware over the wall in left, but that’s all. 

Fitts on the hill for Orange in B1.

1-0 Orange B1

B1

Leadoff double for Judd Ward in the RC gap. Bliss to the plate. 

Ward steals third.

Bliss TRIPLES into RC gap on 3-2 pitch.... 1-0 Blue

Ward and Bliss at the top is gonna be dangerous. Steven Williams up. 

Williams RBI G4. 2-0 Blue

Woley G5. VERY nice sliding play by Bryson Ware. Kid’s gonna play. 

Tyler Miller K’s to end the first 

2-0 Blue.

Skipper settles down but gave up some rockets from the first 3-4 guys. 

T2

Glavine back out there against basically a 5 star freshman SS in Cole Foster to lead off for orange. 

Foster G5. Nice pick on a chopper by Miller at third. Looks like we’ll have plenty of options there.

LaRue BB

Glavine tries a pickoff that goes wide. Had LaRue stealing, but throws it past Woley at first. LaRue to second. 

Freshman Bobby Pierce K’s

Brayton Brown up. Glavine catches LaRue stealing again. This time throws to Miller at third, and gets LaRue in a rundown. Throw back to second had Bliss off the bag some and it looked from the deck like LaRue was never tagged. Hope that rundown is run better in game time as LaRue was already past Bliss when he caught Miller’s throw back to second, as Bliss was about halfway down the line.

Glavine sitting around 87/88 MPH

B2

Skipper back out there for orange. 

Kason Howell flies to center.

Freshman Cam Hill walks on a full count pitch that didn’t miss by much.

Freshman Ryan Dyal (big recruit) grounds to second for a Taylor made DP but Foster nibbles and has only one play to first. 

Brody Moore G4. Nice inning by Skipper.

Skipper sitting 89-91 MPH

2-0 Blue

T3

New pitcher for Blue is highly touted Freshman Joseph Gonzalez from Puerto Rico. Believe he had a chance to sign with some pro teams but decided to come play college ball. Excited to see him throw. 

Brayton Brown G6

Ceccoli F8

Freshman catcher Peyton Sybrandt L8

nice inning by Gonzalez. Looks like he tops out about 91/92 MPH and can go as low as 75/76 on breaker.

B3

Sidearmer Will Morrison in to pitch for orange. He’ll face the top of the order.

Ward lines one back up off of Morrison. Goes right to Foster at second who picks up and throws to first. G4. Two hard hit balls for Judd Ward today.

Bliss with a screaming line drive foul. Eventually pops out to Farquhar at SS.

Williams F8.

Good inning on the stat sheet by Morrison but some pretty hard hit balls by the first 3 batters.

Morrison sitting around 85 on his fastball but he’s more of an arm slot guy anyways. Lots of movement on his pitches. Still, top 3 guys barreled it up pretty good. 

T4 

Gonzalez back in the bump for Blue.

Speedster Josh Hall lines to right for out 1. Hard hit ball at 100 off the bat. If you told me AU would have an inside the park home run this year, I think Josh Hall is a prime candidate. Kid is lightning fast. 

Farquhar with a laser to left and he’s aboard. 101 off the bat. Fellas are putting some lumber on the balls. 

Farquhar steals second on Ryan Dyal (Dyal had TJ surgery, but throw looked ok). Think the pitch was a breaker. 

Quickly becoming my favorite guy to watch Bryson Ware up now. BB

Gonzalez has a quick pick off move. Couldn’t quite get Farquhar at second but close.

John Samuel Shenker with an RBI single to center. And orange is in business. Love seeing the fullback on the diamond. First and third 1 out, 2-1 Blue.

Squeeze attempt by Foster with Ware at third but he can’t get it down. Works a walk though.

Butch, however calls em in, likely to save some daylight, and Blue gets bailed out. 

2-1 Blue

B4

Woley will lead it off against Morrison. 
4 pitch walk.

Tyler Miller doubles off the wall in left. Blue in bidness on 2nd and 3rd with nobody down. 

ATTENTION: We have a home run from Kason Howell! I have never seen this before, I kid you not, Kason Howell just hit a home run to the deepest part of the ballpark. Howell lines it over the canyon with an exit velo of 102! Blue opens it up 5-1. 
Young man has been in the WEIGHT ROOM! That ball was demolished. If Auburn can get power production from Kason Howell, I don’t believe there will be one guy in the lineup that does NOT have the potential to go deep at any moment 

Cam Hill grounds to short.

Blue continues to pour it on with a double by Ryan Dyal.

Moore G5. Low throw by Ware but dug out by Shenker. 2 down. 

Ward G4.

Butch calls em in and that’ll do it.

Final 5-1 Blue

Thoughts:

Auburn has some dudes at the plate. 

I am expecting Auburn to do some things this year on offense that we haven’t seen in a while. I saw more hard hit balls than bloopers or swing and misses. That Kason Howell bomb went a long long way.

In terms of pitching, Auburn will have great starters and what I believe will be great closers. What I am curious to see is the production AU will get from its middle relievers. There’s some experience there but really no one who has proven themselves at a high level other than the starters and maybe 1 or 2 closing pitchers. 

Finally, I think you’ll see Auburn begin to do what a lot of championship caliber teams have done in the last few years, which is essentially having much greater depth. Once upon a time Auburn Baseball’s first 9 or 10 guys were pretty good, but there was quite a drop off in talent between starters and bench. I don’t think that’s the case this year.

There are about 4 guys that are interchangeable at those middle infield spots and I think all of them could start on an SEC team (Bliss, Moore, Farquhar, Foster). Auburn has plenty of guys to try out at third and first and it is apparent that most of them can play either one (Woley, Miller, Ware, Shenker). 

HUGE amount of depth in the outfield. Ward, Howell, and Williams will most certainly start and play most innings, but Josh Hall HAS  to be put on the field at some point in most games as his speed and range is too good to keep on the pine. We saw Brayton Brown go deep a couple times last season as well. Pierce is a freshman that has gotten some at bats the last few days and it seems like he’s being trusted to play a backup role. We’ll see how he fares.

At catcher, Auburn has 2 or 3 competing and both LaRue and Dyal were dynamic hitters in high school and big time recruits. I expect them both to play at points. 

Expected lineup opening day:

LF - Ward

SS - Bliss

RF - Williams 

3B - Woley

DH - Ware

1B - Miller

C - LaRue

CF - Howell

2B - Moore

Kind of strange even with the extension year how unbelievably young we are behind the plate.  S. Williams with more starts there in his career than the four listed on the roster.  Gonna' have to grow up in a hurry back there.

• ellitor changed the title to O & B Baseball Scrimmages
On 2/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, TigerCatcher said:

Kind of strange even with the extension year how unbelievably young we are behind the plate.  S. Williams with more starts there in his career than the four listed on the roster.  Gonna' have to grow up in a hurry back there.

Both guys that should get most of the starts, LaRue and Dyal are already MLB draft picks. LaRue was a 25th rounder as a HS catcher which is tough to do, and Dyal was likely affected by the 5 round draft last season (I still don't get that). Lots of talent and potential back there. They'll have to grow up fast, sure, but I don't expect us to have a whole heap of trouble with them. 

On 2/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, TigerCatcher said:

Speaking of which, Williams has apparently seen time again there to maintain roster flexibility due to the current situation.

Archived