O & B Baseball Scrimmages

1 hour ago, warbiscuit said:

Speaking of which, Williams has apparently seen time again there to maintain roster flexibility due to the current situation.

Would open up some PT for the guys like Brown, Hall, and Pierce. Don’t mind that move. Positionally, I think Williams could have a better future there anyway. 

46 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Would open up some PT for the guys like Brown, Hall, and Pierce. Don’t mind that move. Positionally, I think Williams could have a better future there anyway. 

With how most teams treat bat first catchers now by moving them away, I doubt Williams will be a catcher long term unless he really makes strides defensively and/or finds a team willing to do that. Plus Williams is athletic enough to be an OF/1B in the minors. This is more for a situation like in the 2019 SEC championship against Vandy where the starting catcher is hurt and he's the emergency catcher. Except now if worst comes to worst this season with injuries/testing, he can be the 4th option at C and not be completely in the dark. It'd usually be a luxury, but not for this year. I'd assume either Schorr or Sybrandt are redshirting this year.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:27 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Scrimmage Game 1

Greenhill on the mound for blue in the first. Gives up a home run off the bat of newcomer Bryson Ware over the wall in left, but that’s all. 

Fitts on the hill for Orange in B1.

1-0 Orange B1

Appreciate the reports! Thanks.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:26 PM, warbiscuit said:

Speaking of which, Williams has apparently seen time again there to maintain roster flexibility due to the current situation.

I think it's a smart decision. It sounds like LaRue and Dyal are really the only two of the four most ready to play. And with Dyal still coming back from injury and COVID, we could get into a tight spot really quickly if LaRue or Dyal miss any time. We've been extremely fortunate/lucky/whatever you want to call it the last few years that we haven't really had to dip into the catcher depth out of necessity. I'm just happy we have multiple on the roster now.

On 2/11/2021 at 12:15 AM, WarEagle2423 said:

No disrespect to either him, or you, but Steven Williams would be less aesthetically pleasing than Evan Gattis behind an MLB dish....just doesn't recieve well enough and that is something that is very difficult to teach this late.  I am a HUGE fan of Williams, but he just isn't wired with the take charge mentality to be defensively great back there.  His swing is as pretty as anything to ever grace Plainsman Park, if he makes a big league roster it will be for that and that alone.  Every bit as beautiful as Will Clark.  

1 hour ago, TigerCatcher said:

No disrespect to either him, or you, but Steven Williams would be less aesthetically pleasing than Evan Gattis behind an MLB dish....just doesn't recieve well enough and that is something that is very difficult to teach this late.  I am a HUGE fan of Williams, but he just isn't wired with the take charge mentality to be defensively great back there.  His swing is as pretty as anything to ever grace Plainsman Park, if he makes a big league roster it will be for that and that alone.  Every bit as beautiful as Will Clark.  

I mainly just made that statement based off the fact that I don’t think he’s a great outfielder more so than off of my knowledge of his catching skills. If he has a position at the next level, I could see him giving 1st a shot. But I 100% agree about his swing. A thing of pure beauty. Can absolutely rake. 

7 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I mainly just made that statement based off the fact that I don’t think he’s a great outfielder more so than off of my knowledge of his catching skills. If he has a position at the next level, I could see him giving 1st a shot. But I 100% agree about his swing. A thing of pure beauty. Can absolutely rake. 

I think he's greatly improved his abilities as an OF over the last couple years. Now, I won't claim that he's a great OF  now, but he's made big strides in the last 2-3 seasons. Until he got to Auburn, he'd never played that position, and making that switch was a big change for him.

34 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I think he's greatly improved his abilities as an OF over the last couple years. Now, I won't claim that he's a great OF  now, but he's made big strides in the last 2-3 seasons. Until he got to Auburn, he'd never played that position, and making that switch was a big change for him.

Definitely. I agree with that! Here’s to hoping he shows out this year. I’m sure he’s been working hard at it. Regardless of where he plays, that bat is going to be vital for us this year. 

Archived