Give Bo and the WR’s their props

Swamp Eagle

here is how we are doing groupings on receivers at arkie for anyone interested. stolen by yours truly at the rant.

All info courtesy of Stat Tiger of 247

Personnel Groupings against Arkansas:

2-TE ……… 22
3-WR ……... 13
3 TE ………. 11
Empty …….. 8
4-WR ……... 4 (Includes TE’s split out)
2-RB ……… 2
4 TE ………. 1

TE’s have been targeted 47 times this season, 29 times during the last three games. With Auburn’s struggles in the running game, I believe we will continue to see more 2 TE formations to assist the OL. The key is making sure Auburn utilizes them in the passing game too, which they have. Auburn’s TE’s have accounted for 33 receptions for 401-yards, a solid 12.1 YPR. I believe Landen King can become the vertical threat out of the TE grouping to begin making plays in the intermediate passing game. John Samuel Shenker already recorded a couple of intermediate receptions this season and Tyler Fromm is certainly cable of doing it too.

• Thanks 1

I don’t understand the reaction of “I told you it was the drops not Bo” crowd, so I wanted to take a few posts to show where Bo did exactly what many of us wanted him to do all along. 

So here we go. First drive, after we have picked up a first down Bo drops back to pass. The left DE rushes straight up field and looks like they may be able to turn the corner:image.png

Instead of fleeing and rolling out right before his receivers make their breaks, Bo slides  slightly and stays in the pocket, allowing his line to maintain the pocket:

image.png

Notice how Bo has stepped up across the 40 yard line into the pocket and delivers a strike to the TE who has just completed his route (ball just released).

• Like 2

Here’s my favorite from the game. 3rd quarter and we call deep route down the field. Bo drops back as our RB releases out of the back field to the right (top of screen). RB elects to release and does not block a blitzing LB who has a straight unblocked run at Bo, coming straight at him:(The unblocked LB in the image is right beside the releasing RB).

image.pngHere is two steps later: LB bearing down on Bo, and he sees the receiver coming open so he stands in the pocket knowing he is going to get hit: (LB unblocked is two yards away and closing as Bo begins to step into his throw)

image.png

He releases the ball just before he is hit and its is a nice pass to the WR for a touchdown:

image.pngThis is exactly what I pointed out last week, with the difference that Bo stayed and scored, rather than abandoned the pocket. 

A lot of responses indicated he didn’t have time, or protection, or whatever, but this is how you step up and make a play. This downfield passing is necessary to beat good teams. 

Well done Bo. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Here’s my favorite from the game.  

Here is two steps later: LB bearing down on Bo, and he sees the receiver coming open so he stands in the pocket knowing he is going to get hit: (LB unblocked is two yards away and closing as Bo begins to step into his throw)

image.png

He releases the ball just before he is hit and its is a nice pass to the WR for a touchdown:

Yep my favorite too. Bo couldn't completely step into the throw because the LB was closing so fast. He was about to get waxed but he stood in there and still made a good throw. Robertson did a nice job too. One of the best plays we've seen this year.

Edited by IronMan70

On 10/19/2021 at 2:22 PM, JwgreDeux said:

I don’t understand the reaction of “I told you it was the drops not Bo” crowd, so I wanted to take a few posts to show where Bo did exactly what many of us wanted him to do all along. 

So here we go. First drive, after we have picked up a first down Bo drops back to pass. The left DE rushes straight up field and looks like they may be able to turn the corner:image.png

Instead of fleeing and rolling out right before his receivers make their breaks, Bo slides  slightly and stays in the pocket, allowing his line to maintain the pocket:

image.png

Notice how Bo has stepped up across the 40 yard line into the pocket and delivers a strike to the TE who has just completed his route (ball just released).

Nice pocket awareness by Bo there, moved up and found a check down for 6 or 7 yards.  

It's really nit picky here, but there is a WR that is breaking open towards the sideline for a longer gain and 1st down.  Tougher throw over a DB, but probably there.