Dave Chappelle on his dear friend Daphne Dorman....

DKW 86

Maher is going thru his feelings on those that have bought into "The One True Opinion." His Guest  John McWhorter has a new book: Woke Racism: How a New Religion Has Betrayed Black America  that touches on the idea that there is OTO and that anything that disagrees with that must be (1:20-1:45) "They must be defenestrated." 

***What does it mean to defenestrate someone?
1 : a throwing of a person or thing out of a window  ASSASINATION BY DEFENSTRATION. 2 : a usually swift dismissal or expulsion (as from a political party or office) the defenestration of political leaders the mass defenestration of middle management— Jane Bryant Quinn.

Andrew Yang & John McWhorter on Dave Chappelle and "Transphobia" 

I think the ragebaiting on Dave's part is intentional to make a point. Dave has found a group that can't take a joke and is doubling down.

He's, well, not 100% wrong. 

I thought this was an extremely measured take on the matter.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/dave-chappelle-the-closer/620364/

Yeah, it very much is "punching down" to go after marginalized groups, but you can't help but consider the response. How truly marginalized is this group when this is the result? I wouldn't be surprised if the special is off Netflix in the near future. 

He's made crass jokes for decades. White people, women, black people, Asian people, etc etc ad nauseam. But here he's made jokes about people that apparently have cultural veto power (i.e. the Heckler's veto) on a scale that probably bothers the hell out of him, seeing as he's a black man himself. 

Dave isn't stupid. He's making a point, and the point is hypocrisy

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 3

I think Dave Chappelle and Daphne are exactly as they appear. Two people having a human experience.

You know, watching some of the true fools around here do their dime a dozen woke-takes is just gettin old. You know what they are going to say before they even say it because I am no longer sure they even hear themselves talk anymore.

His first line out of the gate started with, “this is going to be my last special for a long time”. He knew the blowback he was going to receive and took a risk. He got me to watch his special, when in all reality, I’m not the biggest fan Chappelle’s standup.

I watched it with my wife, and on more than one occasion he’d start the set up of a joke and we’d say, “alright here we go…that’s it?”

My wife is a staunch Liberal, pro-LGTBQ+, etc. And even she was struggling to find what was so offensive. We both agreed that some takes could be offensive, but not to the degree people are making it out to be. Idk, I’m not trans, nor am I one to say what another can or cannot be offended by; but this seems rather mundane compared to some of the other stuff out there. 

I also don’t believe in “canceling” comedians. It’s their job to write jokes to make you uneasy at times and push the boundaries of what may make you uncomfortable and making you laugh whilst doing so. Unless they have a full blown meltdown i.e Michael Richards, I think comedians should be hands off. 

I’m rambling. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

I watched it and I came away from it scratching my head a bit too.

It was far from his best work. Had its moments but I'm pretty ambivalent on it overall.

Think the article I posted above put it fairly. Dave came off as frustrated. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

His first line out of the gate started with, “this is going to be my last special for a long time”. He knew the blowback he was going to receive and took a risk. He got me to watch his special, when in all reality, I’m not the biggest fan Chappelle’s standup.

I watched it with my wife, and on more than one occasion he’d start the set up of a joke and we’d say, “alright here we go…that’s it?”

My wife is a staunch Liberal, pro-LGTBQ+, etc. And even she was struggling to find what was so offensive. We both agreed that some takes could be offensive, but not to the degree people are making it out to be. Idk, I’m not trans, nor am I one to say what another can or cannot be offended by; but this seems rather mundane compared to some of the other stuff out there. 

I also don’t believe in “canceling” comedians. It’s their job to write jokes to make you uneasy at times and push the boundaries of what may make you uncomfortable and making you laugh whilst doing so. Unless they have a full blown meltdown i.e Michael Richards, I think comedians should be hands off. 

I’m rambling. 

No Sir, that was pretty good to read.

6 hours ago, AUDub said:

I watched it and I came away from it scratching my head a bit too.

It was far from his best work. Had its moments but I'm pretty ambivalent on it overall.

Think the article I posted above put it fairly. Dave came off as frustrated. 

Arent you frustrated? I know I am frustrated.

I am close to two trans women at the moment, one, a former marine and retired after 25-30 game warden. If i make it threw a conversation without blowing the pronouns, i consider it a good day. Love her to death, BUT, when I am talking to her, I am talking to the Marine Side of her. BTW, she is post-op.

The other, I have known for 45 years....and I will just honor her and call her Robyn with every breath. We chased girls together for years. We double dated, we have had some of the best conversations of my life with her. Seriously, Mz MSNBC was likely 90% the reason that I have morphed over the years. She intellectually challenged me AND challenged me as a 4 decades old friend. Love her to death to. I do not understand how anyone could go thru the process and take this serious as a heart attack.

I like Mr Happy. He makes me feel real good and we like hanging out together, ALOT. I just cant see Mr Happy leaving my life etc. We have been such good friends over the years. He has gotten me into a bunch of crap in my younger years but we are still best pals. :big: 

Edited by DKW 86

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Arent you frustrated? I know I am frustrated.

I'm often frustrated with my tribe, yeah.