Who claims 2004 as a NC?

vatz22au

Do you claim a NC for 2004?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you claim a NC for 2004?

• Yes
    • No

Vatz, there's an old saying that goes, "There's no point arguing with an idiot, they'll only drag you to their level."

It's best to leave the bammers alone. They live in their own galaxy, and nothing you say to them or show them will change any of their minds.

168899[/snapback]

LOL Nice statement :lol:

Im not really digging deep though in anything, just wanted to show them that the whole fanbase doesnt claim it. But I guess your right:

"They live in their own galaxy, and nothing you say to them or show them will change any of their minds." :lol:

TIS, you missed the full quote on that saying:

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." :lol:

TIS, you missed the full quote on that saying:

"Don't argue with an idiot.  They'll just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."  :lol:

168903[/snapback]

I've always liked this one

"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not recognize which one is which."

:big:

How about this one:"Better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and erase all doubt." :D:poke:

How about this one:"Better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and erase all doubt." :D  :poke:

168906[/snapback]

And who is that directed to? <_<

I claim that we were the undefeated SEC and Sugar Bowl Champions. Nothing more and nothing less.

That and the fact that we beat more top 10 teams in 2004 than anyone else has in one season since people started tracking this stuff. I usually add to that we only trailed in the 2nd half of 2 games in 2004 and pretty much dominated 7 of 9 SEC opponents.

Those facts usually shut up whichever loser is trying to give me sh**.

I voted no because no one voted Auburn #1. However I feel Auburn was second to none last year. I could sit here a give type a bunch of crap about how they got screwed and how angry I've been but I'm afraid my fingers would fall off from all the typing. So I'll just say I'm very proud of the 2004 Tigers and I thank them for enjoyment they gave me last season. Now let's get ready for 2005. WAR EAGLE!

I probably could vote for Auburn as I don't accept any BCS champions as national champions.

You had FSU instead of Miami playing OU

You had Nebraska who didn't even win their conference division playing Miami

You had OU playing LSU after getting blown out by K State, LSU and USC's losses were at least close.

you get the point, majority of the time the championship game doesn't pit the best teams against each other.

OF COURSE!

The MNC in DIV 1A is not even recognized by the NCAA...so the "Fans Poll" which we won, as well as Golf Digest, are as legitimate as that trophy Southern Cal got!

Dang skippy I'm claiming it!!!

:au::homer:

How about this one:"Better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and erase all doubt." :D  :poke:

168906[/snapback]

And who is that directed to? <_<

168911[/snapback]

Well there's another old saying "if the shoe fits, wera it" :big::big:

:big::big::big:

OF COURSE!

The MNC in DIV 1A is not even recognized by the NCAA...so the "Fans Poll" which we won, as well as Golf Digest, are as legitimate as that trophy Southern Cal got!

:au:   :homer:

169131[/snapback]

*Cough* <_<

This poll is cute at best and soap box material at worst, but any student of the game knows in 140+ years of college football (at any level), only Auburn of '04 went 13-0 and did not get at least a SHARE of the MNC. Now THAT's the definition of srewed. Especially considering AU '04 defeated teams in the top 10 four times in '04, twice on the road. What REALLY makes this bitter to a lot of us is seeing LSU recently have a loss and still be MNCs, or worse yet, Southern Cal recently claiming (and having most media agree) they SHARED the MNC because AP voted them #1 in a year when every NCAA school (including USC) agreed before the season that the AP vote was about 25% of the final poll that mattered, the BCS. Then you have those historic anomalies that are salt in the wound, like 1990 Colorado sharing the MNC while failing to win TWO of its games and getting 5 downs to beat Misourri (MISOURRI). Incidentally CO shared the MNC w/ our first opponents in '05, GT. GT in '90 needed a last second field goal to TIE a N. Carolina team that won just a couple games that year.

Etc., etc.,

OF COURSE!

:au:   :homer:

169131[/snapback]

*Cough* <_<

169134[/snapback]

Better get that looked at! :big:

Hey guys...we were "jobbed" in '83, and we were jobbed again last year...and frankly, I'm pretty sick of it....

This poll is cute at best and soap box material at worst, but any student of the game knows in 140+ years of college football (at any level), only Auburn of '04 went 13-0 and did not get at least a SHARE of the MNC. Now THAT's the definition of srewed. Especially considering AU '04 defeated teams in the top 10 four times in '04, twice on the road. What REALLY makes this bitter to a lot of us is seeing LSU recently have a loss and still be MNCs, or worse yet, Southern Cal  recently claiming (and having most media agree) they SHARED the MNC because AP voted them #1 in a year when every NCAA school (including USC) agreed before the season that the AP vote was about 25% of the final poll that mattered, the BCS. Then you have those historic anomalies that are salt in the wound, like 1990 Colorado sharing the MNC while failing to win TWO of its games and getting 5 downs to beat Misourri (MISOURRI). Incidentally CO shared the MNC w/ our first opponents in '05, GT. GT in '90 needed a last second field goal to TIE a N. Carolina team that won just a couple games that year.

Etc., etc.,

170225[/snapback]

Aucanucktiger,

You took the words right out of my mouth. The information you provided us is clear and convincing evidence that the college football apparatus of determining national champions is a complete and utter failure. I'll go one step further here.

Colorado on 5th down!!!!!??? Excuse me while I go to my bathroom and regurgitate the chicken I consumed for lunch. A 5th down team winning the national championship!!?? And I thought that today was going to be a good day. Thanks for reminding me that Ward Churchill University won it all on 5th down!

At least the BCS is more legitimite than the way championships used to be determined. Okay, that statement may be somewhat of a stretch but the BCS does put #1 against #2, which is a lot more than I can say for the previous system. Before, a team was declared national champions before the team played in their bowl game. Sometimes, the team that was declared national champions lost in their bowl game. I think that UAT won a few national championchips this way. Yes, I will admit that Auburn 1957 benefited under this system but that doesn't mean that the system wasn't hopelessly flawed.

Auburn fans like to refer to 1983 as a "screw job." While I agree that Auburn got screwed in '83, I'm of the opinion that Auburn got screwed after the fact. The team that got really screwed before the fact was Texas, who was #2 in America that year, undefeated, beat Auburn pretty convincingly at Jordan-Hare, and yet, had to watch a #5 team get a shot at #1 Nebraska. Although Texas should have taken care of business at the Cotton Bowl and beat UGA, the fact still remains that they were #2 in America and didn't get their shot. Auburn got screwed because we won our bowl game, #1 and #2 lost, and the media sees fit to keep us at #3 and catapult a #5 team to the national championship slot.

The media still controls college football today, as sad as that is for me to say that. The Paul Gattis's of the world determine preseason and pre-bowl season rankings. Auburn finished #3 after going 12-0 and winning the SEC Championship, and the only reason why is because JOURNALISTS, FREEKING JOURNALISTS, saw fit to put USC and OU #1 and #2 respectively. People who have never played the game saw fit to control the fate of those who do.

The solution, obviously, is one coaches poll that comes out 5 weeks after the start of the college football season. This poll will be used as a template to determine the 8 college football teams who are deemed worthy by their peers and coaches to play in an 8 team playoff for the national championship. The coaches who vote in this poll, of course, should have their votes promulgated for the general public.

Take away the computers and more importantly, TAKE AWAY THE MEDIA from college football. The media's only responsibility in college football is to write and report on games, not have a stinking vote that will determine a champion. Why computers were ever involved with college football is beyond me.

Maybe we didn't win a national championship in the polls that matter to most people. There aren't many people in this world who purchase Golf Digest for the sole purpose of reading about college football. I doubt that only Auburn fans, and bitter UAT fans, are familiar with the Eufala Tribune. This past year, we did not win a national championship under the current system.

However, the current system is a failure and everyone knows it. There's no need to rehash the arguments as to why the BCS has failed college football. More importantly, there's no need for us as Auburn fans to claim a title from the Eufala Tribune.

A national championship team is a team from the best conference in America, who went 13-0, won the SEC Championship, and won the Sugar Bowl. The two teams in front of us cannot claim as much. Therefore, the national championship I claim is that Auburn was the best team in America, period. No poll or computer can measure this. We were the best team in 2004 and that's all that really matters to me.

Alex

...you all won the SEC which is quite an accomplishment

170285[/snapback]

Thats just it Slink. Which is why I say Yes, you win the SEC and go undefeated doing it, what more can you do. I mean with these idots in the media that keep saying before each and every one of your big games well if they do this they will earn a shot and when you do as they ask they say your still not worthy. What do you want :au: people and players to do wait on ESPN to say oh you guys are worthy? Screw them we ARE the CHAMPS!

If the Sugar was a blowout more people would give the Tigers props! NOPE Al and TUbby shut the offense down and it turned out to be a squeker! :blink:

169016[/snapback]

Good point!

If the Sugar was a blowout more people would give the Tigers props! NOPE Al and TUbby shut the offense down and it turned out to be a squeker! :blink:

169016[/snapback]

Good point!

170307[/snapback]

NOPE! The media would not have given us props, NO MATTER WHAT!

The whole poll was a setup for USC from the gitgo!

169016[/snapback]

Good point!

170307[/snapback]

NOPE! The media would not have given us props, NO MATTER WHAT!

The whole poll was a setup for USC from the gitgo!

170339[/snapback]

USC and Oklahoma were the media darlings all of last year. USC much more than Oklahoma. USC barley got by Stanford(4-7) and UCLA (6-6). Auburn beats bama by only 8 and the media is all over them. USC Squeakes by UCLA and the media says " but it's a rivalry game). What the heck is the Iron Bowl? Another thing was the SEC Championship game. AU beats the SEC Eastern Division champs by 10 and it wasn't enough. Tennessee were 10-3 last season (0-2 vs. Auburn) it's not as if they are a freakin cupcake. All the ESPN crew that supported Auburn all year suddenly jumped ship. That really ticked me off. They all can rot for all I'm concerned. It would not have mattered if Auburn whipped the crap out of Tennessee and Virginia Tech. The media would have found some excuse to keep them from going to Miami.

Why do you think the media had the BCS "tweaked" after the 2003 season? Why do you think the media had the BCS restructured to where the AP poll carried more weight with the BCS than in previous years?

Yes sir, you guessed right. The media has a god complex with no checks or balances on their monopoly, no criticism of their columns, and no criticism of their votes. They wanted to be the final arbiters with the BCS and they got their wish. That's the power of lobbying in this country.

Had the 2003 BCS format been in existence in 2004, Auburn would have played USC or OU for the national championship. Do you think that the 2003 BCS computers would have missed the fact that USC's national schedule ranking was 32nd, OU's 27th, while Auburn's was 9th? Take the margin of victory against teams like UGA and Tennessee, remember USC or OU never beat a top ten team convincingly, and Auburn would have been one of those teams in the Orange Bowl.

Oh well, what's done is done. We got screwed. Life goes on. I won't mention what happened last year again on this forum. Auburn will win a national championship someday. As long as we are persistent as fans, our program is persistent with winning, our players are persistent with winning, and our University has the monetary facilities to support the football program, then we will win the national championship someday.

Who knows, we could finally break through this year and get another shot at USC in the Rose Bowl. That my friends, would be the ultimate day of Auburn reckoning.

Alex

I don't mind claiming this past year's MNC! Just look at how some MNC's in the past were selected. Some were picked YEARS AFTER the season was actually played!! (UAT)

I posted some background info on this topic under "UAT MNC's."

I don't mind claiming this past year's MNC! Just look at how some MNC's in the past were selected. Some were picked YEARS AFTER the season was actually played!! (UAT)

I posted some background info on this topic under "UAT MNC's."

170383[/snapback]

FWIW, Bama was awarded the 1966 MNC by: ARGH Power Ratings, Cliff Morgan, Clyde Berryman, Earl Jessen, the National Championship Foundation & Soren Sorensen retroactively but the Universtiy does not recognize it.

cfb data warehouse

Archived