Who claims 2004 as a NC?

vatz22au

Do you claim a NC for 2004?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you claim a NC for 2004?

• Yes
    • No

If you voted yes or no, just please state why. My vote was HELL YES....Call me a kool-aid drinker but we have just as much of a legitimate case as USC...We won every single damn game!!!! No one defeated the mighty Auburn tigers in 2004!

So an official poll didnt vote for us...But hell, how official are these things anyways these days?

MNC= Mythical National Championship

We played in a system that PREVENTED us in playing in the NC game...plain and simple.

Guest Tigrinum Major

It is a complicated question. Would I ever say that we were second to anyone? No. Would we have beaten USC? I don't know and no one else does either. I think we would have, but that is my opinion and nothing more. Do I claim a MNC that means nothing? No.

Just my opinion and nothing more.

Of course! Why shouldn't we? Did anyone beat us? Did we beat more top 10 teams than anyone in the nation even played? The college football system for determining a NC is a joke, and there never has, and never will be a true NC until there is a play-off system. So until that time, anyone's opinion is just as important as the polls.

Of course! Why shouldn't we? Did anyone beat us? Did we beat more top 10 teams than anyone in the nation even played? The college football system for determining a NC is a joke, and there never has, and never will be a true NC until there is a play-off system. So until that time, anyone's opinion is just as important as the polls.

168817[/snapback]

Amen to that!

I voted, NO.

I think we had a better team than Oklahoma but I'm not as sure when it comes to USC. I don't fault anyone who recognizes our 04 squad as the best in the country because one could make a valid claim based on the numbers. IMO, we did not win it under the current system and as much as I believe the system stinks, it's the only system we have for now.

I may not claim a MNC but I believe the coaches and players from the 2004 team were CHAMPIONS and I will never forget what they accomplished on and off the field.

Why bring this back up again? How much more are we going to beat this dead horse? A new season is about to start and I really don't want to keep griping about the 2004 BCS. Until there is a playoff system, technically no team can claim a NCAA national championship.

I voted yes simply because I think we had the best season of any team in the country and did it against top competition. I believe last years team was a team of destiny and would have pulled out a win against USC or anyone else. So yes, in my mind we are defending national champions this year.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Why bring this back up again?

168826[/snapback]

Because Vatz is in a peeing contest with some guys over at Crimson Tusks.

168826[/snapback]

168829[/snapback]

Then my answer would be that Bama fans are about the last people on earth to be calling other people's MNC claims into question. "Hello, Pot? This is the Kettle. You're black."

168826[/snapback]

168829[/snapback]

:big:

God I'm glad you said that and not me! :big::roflol:

I honestly think AU has as much claim to a share of the NC as much as USC did in 2003. Now, with that said I recognize LSU as the NC for 2003. They won what is supposed to be the "championship game" but, I think USC was as good as LSU

I also think that AU was as good as USC this past year, but since USC won the "Championship Game" They are the NC holders.

BTW vatz, I didn't vote in your poll above since I didn't fit your criteria

168826[/snapback]

168829[/snapback]

Then my answer would be that Bama fans are about the last people on earth to be calling other people's MNC claims into question. "Hello, Pot? This is the Kettle. You're black."

168830[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol: Again, I go back to the point that there is no and never has been an NCAA Division 1 football champion. There will not be until the NCAA finally gets smart and sanctions a Div-1 playoff system. I doubt it will happen anytime soon and every year somebody is going to get screwed. I loved what happened last year and I wish we could make a run like that this year. However, I refuse to let the stupidity of the NCAA cause me to have sour grapes and ruin my thoughts of last year and let it carry over into this year. I love college football for what it is and I am not going to let a bunch of old farts at the NCAA ruin that for me!!! Instead of debating with the bammers or anybody else, just tell them that nobody has ever one a Div-1 championship. Then cherish last year and get ready to pull hard this year, because it is not going to be perfect like last year. We got alot young players and new starters that are going to need the :au: Nation behind them this year. WDE!!!!

168826[/snapback]

168829[/snapback]

168830[/snapback]

Isnt it funny, Titan...that all these years you guys dogged us for claiming NCs that we shouldnt have...yet when AU fans are faced with the SAME scenario...they are split down the middle. Some claim it, some dont. Quite similar to the bama situation.

Yet you see a difference between the two. Oh well...i guess thats a right given to all auburn fans, that us bama fans dont get to enjoy.

BG, don't mistake my thoughts as thinking I believe we should not lay claim to a MNC. I do think we were the best team in college football in 2004 and if there would have been a playoff system, we would have proved that. The thing is, with the setup from last year, even if we would have gotten to play USC and beaten them, there would still be debate because Utah would have a claim also. That is why I don't get caught up and that because there is no playoff. The system is flawed and as a fan it does no good to gripe about last year when this year is just around the corner. Last year is done, over, finished! I say focus on this year. Your options as a fan are as follows: (1) You quit watching college football until a playoff system is incorporated (hope you don't hold your breath) or (2)You accept it the way it is and do your griping for a couple of months after the season and then when the next season rolls around, you forget about how you were screwed from the previous season by focusing on the upcoming season. Notice how I said that griping is okay a couple of months after the season. That is because that is when it is heard the loudest by the NCAA and the media. Outside the :au: nation, how many people do you think are really as upset now about the BCS as they were right after the season last year? Not very many, so complaining about it with less then 2 months to go before the new season is very fruitless. What good is claiming we are the defending MNC going to do for our boys this year? Nothing. They are going to go out there and play just as hard regardless if they were 13-0 or 7-6 last year.

I voted, NO.

I think we had a better team than Oklahoma but I'm not as sure when it comes to USC. I don't fault anyone who recognizes our 04 squad as the best in the country because one could make a valid claim based on the numbers. IMO, we did not win it under the current system and as much as I believe the system stinks, it's the only system we have for now.

I may not claim a MNC but I believe the coaches and players from the 2004 team were CHAMPIONS and I will never forget what they accomplished on and off the field.

168822[/snapback]

I voted no for the same reason.

I voted, NO.

168822[/snapback]

Well said Stat.

:au:

My view is this.

I nor the University should claim a title. I didn't do **** to deserve it and the system is flawed. USC "won" the national championship.

I believe we were the best team last year, but since I don't have a vote, my opinion means nothing. Therefore, we didn't win a championship.

However, I DARE one person who sits in the stands (Jordan-Hare OR Bryant-Denny) or sits behind a sports desk to tell ANY of the 2004 players that they didn't earn it on the field. THEY can claim it as a national title ALL THEY WANT!! They earned it.

Fans.....don't claim the title.

Players, coaches......claim it until the day you die.

ESPN, AP, BCS......eat it.

The AUBURN TIGERS are DEFENDING SEC CHAMPIONS-SUGAR BOWL CHAMPIONS

and UNDEFEATED CHAMPIONS. THAT is ENOUGH for me. :au:

i voted 'no'... simply because i quickly realized back in october/november that worrying about such things was taking away from my enjoyment of the season that was.

it is totally enough for me to know that we were the best team that took the field each and every time we suited up. we are the defending SEC champions. not even USC can say that.

ask yourself this: which would you rather have: the SEC football championship or the PAC-10 football championship? both those are objective, won-on-the-field championships.

the national championships are opinions....as others have said. that others think USC > auburn last year is also just an opinion...and that's fine. they had a great season, too.

i'll also add that the situations that have arisen over the past 2 years have done more to discredit the current system of naming a 'M'NC than any other that i can remember.

war eagle!

ct

It amazes me how grown men and women talk about the 2004 MNC day after day when nothing will change. Seven months after the Orange Bowl and the final polls, and the posts about it are the same old stuff. Give it a rest :blink:

Isnt it funny, Titan...that all these years you guys dogged us for claiming NCs that we shouldnt have...yet when AU fans are faced with the SAME scenario...they are split down the middle. Some claim it, some dont. Quite similar to the bama situation.

Yet you see a difference between the two. Oh well...i guess thats a right given to all auburn fans, that us bama fans dont get to enjoy.

168833[/snapback]

All I'm saying is that any school that claims a national title when they went 9-2, didn't win their conference, finished #20 in the AP...all in a year where there were four undefeated teams and three who were undefeated and untied, has no grounds to question anyone else claiming anything with regard to MNCs. Here you have a handful of Auburn fans debating whether or not we should claim an NC. Your school lists the aforementioned year (1941) as one of it's national championships. It's in the media guide. Half your fans would argue that it could be anywhere from 17-22 NCs if you claimed them all.

So, forgive me if I fail to take seriously the concerns of said group when it comes to whether AU fans should or shouldn't claim an NC in a year they went 13-0. We could claim 2004 and we still wouldn't hold a candle to some of the hubris coming from you guys on this subject.

Hey guys, first time poster...The reason I claim 2004 as a NC is simply because of the dominance we showed over all other competition. In 13 games, we were only down to Alabama and LSU how is that NOT a National champion?

Not only that but we destoryed UT (34-10) and UGA (24-6) both of whom were Top 10 teams at that point. Just seems to me like we had the characteristics of a NC we just didn't get the respect.

Some people are already getting confused on the issue, in an argument with a friend the other day (a USC fan) she replied with "Well seems AU just got beat by a bigger and better team." :blink: I dunno...Just seems like if we don't say we were NC then eventually people forget how special this team was.

168826[/snapback]

168829[/snapback]

I guess you could call it that, but this poll was set up for a more valid reason. I just wanted to show the folks over there that not the whole auburn fan base claims the title. Theres a sterotype over there that every single Auburn fan claims it, which isnt true.....

Some of the people here need to chill :big: Why bring it back up again?? Because I never really got a good feel on who does and who doesnt claim it. Now I do :)

Vatz, there's an old saying that goes, "There's no point arguing with an idiot, they'll only drag you to their level."

It's best to leave the bammers alone. They live in their own galaxy, and nothing you say to them or show them will change any of their minds.

Archived