Terrible Foul Calls for 2 Games in a Row Now!

BHDAU1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Spot on. Last two games were atrocious. The one on Jabari Smith against FL where he gave up trying to block the fast break shot…was almost as bad as 2001 Vandy…

I don't think anything can ever top this for "bad" officiating. Obviously intentional. Perfect example of why we needed replay.

1 minute ago, boisnumber1 said:

The question is how do YOU NOT remember! Lol I will never ever forget that crap. Ever.

I had to go check the 2001 schedule online just to make sure we won the game.   Maybe by that point in the night the Maker's was making an impact.

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Viper how in the heck did you recall that play?   Even seeing it now I don't remember it.   Has to be top 10 all time worst calls...

Because I recorded it on PPV then. 

• Haha 1

Just now, LPTiger said:

I had to go check the 2001 schedule online just to make sure we won the game.   Maybe by that point in the night the Maker's was making an impact.

There was definitely something at play. Of course we will never know.

9 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I don't think anything can ever top this for "bad" officiating. Obviously intentional. Perfect example of why we needed replay.

Worst I’ve ever seen. Nothing else comes close. 

• Like 2

OrangePearls, I am not normally someone who buys into conspiracy theories but even I have to admit any time we play in Tuscaloosa the refs seem to always call the game in favor of Alabama.  And it's been that way since before I was a student at Auburn in the late 90's and early 2000's and remains that way today.  It really doesn't even matter what sport is being played, and it seems to be particularly bad when Auburn is considered the better team or ranked higher.  Honestly, after watching that clown show of officiating how could you not feel like you are getting screwed on purpose?

• Like 1

Check out yahoo sports "Takeaways from Auburn Basketball vs. Alabama".  Its a nice quick read.  The first line in the article is "Auburn defeated Alabama.... It was not easy, and it was due in part to the officiating.  The SEC needs to fix it."  The first "takeaway"  is that "Alabama had everything called their way and still lost".  We are not the only ones noticing just how bad the officiating has been against Auburn, even the sports writers are making mention of it nationally.   

18 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

OrangePearls, I am not normally someone who buys into conspiracy theories but even I have to admit any time we play in Tuscaloosa the refs seem to always call the game in favor of Alabama.  And it's been that way since before I was a student at Auburn in the late 90's and early 2000's and remains that way today.  It really doesn't even matter what sport is being played, and it seems to be particularly bad when Auburn is considered the better team or ranked higher.  Honestly, after watching that clown show of officiating how could you not feel like you are getting screwed on purpose?

Exactly.  Everybody was on Bo Nix for what he said leading up to the Iron Bowl, but I was happy to hear it myself.  And guess what?  The officials called the game pretty evenly...maybe even a little in Auburn's favor until the end anyway.

• Like 1

If we keep winning, do you think the calls will start going more our way?  

That seems to happen in football.

Edited by triangletiger

The bright spot is that in the NCAA Tournament calls typically become more neutral. 

26 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

If we keep winning, do you think the calls will start going more our way?  

That seems to happen in football.

I think it depends on who we play and where we play.  If Auburn keeps winning we are almost assured an at-large bid to the NCAA Tourney regardless of whether we win the SEC outright or SEC Tournament.  If the officiating does not improve then the argument could be made that the powers-that-be in the SEC want to get as many teams in the NCAA tournament as possible for added revenue and prestige, and that happens only if the teams that are middle of the pack start beating the highly-ranked teams in the league to improve their resumes and overall records.  The other arguments to be made for unfair officiating come from potential home-cookin' at certain schools and the promotion of the schools with the largest fan bases and national "appeal".  UK, Florida, and Alabama are probably the top 3 largest fan bases, followed by UGA, LSU, and Texas A&M, then Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St., and Mizzou, and finally Vandy at the bottom with the smallest fan base.  It will not surprise me if the worst-called games of the season all come against the top 3 teams in my list (2 of the 3 have already proven true, we have yet to play UK).

• Like 2

Watched it again tonight to take the emotion out of it.  I thought Kessler's 2nd foul was the only one that was really a no brainer bad call.  The other 4 were fouls but a couple of them had very little contact.  Refs were very inconsistent.  Would let them play for a few and then call it real tight for a few.  Overall I credit bama for getting back in the game by hitting some big shots when they had to have them.  Going forward Kessler needs to stay a little more disciplined on the defensive end and hope the refs will let them play and stop getting in the way of a good game.   

The free throw line was Bama’s biggest offensive weapon. 

I coach youth basketball and teach the kids that the officials don’t control the outcome of the game. Not saying I believe that, but I try to practice that same mantra.  As quick as bama got into the bonus that second half and disparity in number of fouls called when they got there (in the bonus) was almost laughable. I did feel that the crowd did affect some of the calls last night. No way Kessler get that charge call against him in any other arena. Flanagan had pretty my same call against him. By the time bama tied it up. I was no longer worried about the outcome. I knew we were a much better team, and neutral sight game would show that. Home game we may even be getting those calls. 

What really should be commended is this team and coaching staff. Hats off to this team for keeping their composure threw that adversity!!  Could of easily let those calls get the best of them. Then the biggest take away is the next man up mentality that we are establishing!!  Kessler was basically taken out of his game, and Cardwell steps up and has his biggest game as a Tiger!!  We are witnessing something special here boys and girls. Enjoy the ride!!!

We will see all of this in the tournament. If I had a dollar for the amount of tournament games in which foul trouble became the starring role. I would be a rich man!! 

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1