Social Justice Has Changed – I Haven't

AUFAN78

I came of age with the ‘60s and the awakening concern for social justice. By 1963, I was dabbling my feet in the Reflecting Pool while MLK called for an American future beyond race. Several months later, I was in jail in North Carolina as part of what we called the Freedom Movement.

The Boston Globe called me “the state’s lightning rod for the stormy protests against the racial imbalance law and the plans for Boston and Springfield schools,” and Anthony Lucas, in Common Ground, described me as having “a passionate zeal on racial issues.”

Now, fifty years later, I’m considered a conservative in education policy circles. I support parental choice in its many forms: charter schools, vouchers, homeschooling, etc. I served as an expert witness in a number of cases challenging the restriction of public funding for faith-based schools. I’m also very critical of much that is done or proposed in the name of racial justice and of the current obsession with racial and other identities.

What happened? 

https://glennloury.substack.com/p/social-justice-has-changed-i-havent

“If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago and a racist today.”

• Like 5