Basketball Goal this year, administration made it possible.

Grumps

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/10/auburn-bruce-pearl-fbi-ncaa-sanctions-chuck-person

This is from the NCAA’s infractions ruling: “The panel classified Auburn's case as Level I-Aggravated. The range of postseason ban(s) for Level I-Aggravated cases is one to five years. Considering the severe violations in this case, the panel considered whether an additional postseason ban was warranted. In past cases, the COI has considered the timing and circumstances around when institutions decide to self-impose a postseason ban to ensure that the self-imposed penalty is a meaningful penalty. Here, Auburn self-imposed the postseason ban prior to the 2020-21 men's basketball season. In doing so, the penalty was significant and not in response to a poor record. Auburn's decision to self-impose a postseason ban prior to the season reflects the actions of an institution intentionally taking responsibility for severe Level I conduct in its men's basketball program. Although a second year of postseason ban is an appropriate penalty in that it falls within the available ranges for Level I-Aggravated cases, the panel declines to do so largely in response to the timing and circumstances around Auburn's decision to self-impose the ban.”

If you read the entire article, SI thinks we barely got punished. I disagree wholeheartedly, but what really matters is that if Auburn had not gone almost overboard to comply with the NCAA and seemingly over-punish ourselves, then we would not have the opportunity to play in the post-season this year. Almost certainly, we were REALLY close to a post-season ban THIS year. That would have been almost unbearable. Props to the AU basketball administration and compliance department (I have a hard time saying good things about them.) for getting this behind us and preserving AU's opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament this year!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

To me, this whole thing is unfair. Auburn University got no competitive advantage from Chuck Person's personal decisions or the decisions of the two players involved. We got no recruiting advantage. Person is, or should be going to jail. That's enough. Auburn had nothing to do with this, got no advantage from it and if the NCAA were fair, AU should never have been brought into this case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

To me, this whole thing is unfair. Auburn University got no competitive advantage from Chuck Person's personal decisions or the decisions of the two players involved. We got no recruiting advantage. Person is, or should be going to jail. That's enough. Auburn had nothing to do with this, got no advantage from it and if the NCAA were fair, AU should never have been brought into this case.

I agree completely, but if you read the SI article, you can see that MANY don't agree with our punishment. As unfair as it seems, it could have been WAY worse!

• Like 1

Just now, Grumps said:

I agree completely, but if you read the SI article, you can see that MANY don't agree with our punishment. As unfair as it seems, it could have been WAY worse!

I did read it. It's written by Pat Forde, who has hated Auburn ever since he got dirt smeared on his face when his claim of academic irregularities in the football program was proven false those several years ago.

Forde told one lie in his article, Person's payments to the two players had nothing to do with recruiting. It was for locking in shoe agreements after they finished with college ball. That happened long after those two were already at Auburn.

In my opinion, anybody who thinks our punishment is inadequate hasn't gone to the trouble to look at and understand exactly what happened.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

A lot of these people are just anti-Pearl to the point that it's strange. If you call them out, and just flat out ask them what Pearl has done that is so terrible, they run and hide, or they just talk in generalizations because they are predisposed to hate him. It's really odd to me. They really act as if Pearl has committed some violent crime or something. They can't see their own ugliness, but can create someone else's it seems.

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Basketball Goal this year, administration made it possible.
6 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

However, LSU just keeps on like there’s nothing to worry about.

It is maddening!!! I can only hope that their time is coming. I can't wait for that little punk Will Wade to get HAMMERED!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

It is maddening!!! I can only hope that their time is coming. I can't wait for that little punk Will Wade to get HAMMERED!!!

It won't happen as long as Emmert is still head of the NC2A

48 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

It won't happen as long as Emmert is still head of the NC2A

As crooked as I believe the NCAA to be, I still don't see how they can avoid blasting Will Wade and LSU. I sure hope you are wrong or that Emmert goes soon!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

SI should self impose severe sanctions for continuing to publish Pat Forde's crayon gibberish.

Right. He also claimed that texts protesting Auburn's punishment were coming in from "disillusioned basketball coaches and administrators". That's another obvious lie, though I can't prove that one. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that those texts exist only in Forde's imagination.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:15 AM, Grumps said:

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/10/auburn-bruce-pearl-fbi-ncaa-sanctions-chuck-person

This is from the NCAA’s infractions ruling: “The panel classified Auburn's case as Level I-Aggravated. The range of postseason ban(s) for Level I-Aggravated cases is one to five years. Considering the severe violations in this case, the panel considered whether an additional postseason ban was warranted. In past cases, the COI has considered the timing and circumstances around when institutions decide to self-impose a postseason ban to ensure that the self-imposed penalty is a meaningful penalty. Here, Auburn self-imposed the postseason ban prior to the 2020-21 men's basketball season. In doing so, the penalty was significant and not in response to a poor record. Auburn's decision to self-impose a postseason ban prior to the season reflects the actions of an institution intentionally taking responsibility for severe Level I conduct in its men's basketball program. Although a second year of postseason ban is an appropriate penalty in that it falls within the available ranges for Level I-Aggravated cases, the panel declines to do so largely in response to the timing and circumstances around Auburn's decision to self-impose the ban.”

If you read the entire article, SI thinks we barely got punished. I disagree wholeheartedly, but what really matters is that if Auburn had not gone almost overboard to comply with the NCAA and seemingly over-punish ourselves, then we would not have the opportunity to play in the post-season this year. Almost certainly, we were REALLY close to a post-season ban THIS year. That would have been almost unbearable. Props to the AU basketball administration and compliance department (I have a hard time saying good things about them.) for getting this behind us and preserving AU's opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament this year!

THis is what McGlynn was smart to do. He is so experienced and knows the NCAA, that by rolling the dice and self imposing the year ban on our team, BEFORE we knew what kind of actual team we would have, was a bold but smart decision.

I know we criticize our compliance and administrators for being more helpful to the NCAA than a lot of teams do, and we think we get punished more bc of it. 

But in this case based on this article, we ended up being tn the best possible position for a smaller punishment rendering.

And those yahoos like Forde, and those basketball people who simply don't like Pearl, simply were going to make it know they thought we escaped the death sentence. 

And now this year all the good things that are happened to Pearl's program just HAS to be killing those media nuts who still hold a grudge against Pearl.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

THis is what McGlynn was smart to do. He is so experienced and knows the NCAA, that by rolling the dice and self imposing the year ban on our team, BEFORE we knew what kind of actual team we would have, was a bold but smart decision.

I know we criticize our compliance and administrators for being more helpful to the NCAA than a lot of teams do, and we think we get punished more bc of it. 

But in this case based on this article, we ended up being tn the best possible position for a smaller punishment rendering.

And those yahoos like Forde, and those basketball people who simply don't like Pearl, simply were going to make it know they thought we escaped the death sentence. 

And now this year all the good things that are happened to Pearl's program just HAS to be killing those media nuts who still hold a grudge against Pearl.

That is exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it much better! There is a very good chance that we would have had NO post-season THIS YEAR if not for the way we handled the investigation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

That is exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it much better! There is a very good chance that we would have had NO post-season THIS YEAR if not for the way we handled the investigation.

No, I thank you for showing that article. That is written proof our reasoning this time it worked for us and we are on this super positive trek, and now we have the most solid program going forward in basketball of all sports.

• Like 1