Carlson tried to use Hunter Biden to get his son into Georgetown

Tucker Carlson tried to use Hunter Biden to get his son into Georgetown

Martin Pengelly
4-5 minutes

<span>Photograph: Andrew Harnik/AP</span>

Photograph: Andrew Harnik/AP

As Tucker Carlson asked Hunter Biden for help getting his son into an elite Washington university in 2014, the Fox News host’s wife, Susie, reportedly wrote in an email: “Tucker and I have the greatest respect and admiration for you. Always!”

Since the 2020 election, however, Carlson has fueled rightwing attacks on Joe Biden’s son, particularly over business affairs in which he allegedly benefited from his father’s position.

The existence of emails about getting Buckley Carlson into Georgetown has been known for some time, thanks to a laptop once owned by Hunter Biden that was obtained by Donald Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and pushed to media in 2020.

On Thursday the Washington Post revealed new emails and said analysis by security experts confirmed their authenticity.

The emails, the Post said, “reveal the extent to which Carlson was willing to turn on a former associate as he thrives in a hyper-partisan media world in which conservatives have made Biden a prime target for attack.”

“They also show how Carlson once sought to benefit from the elite political circles in Washington that he now regularly rails against as the ‘ruling class’.”

Carlson told the Post that in 2014, when Joe Biden was vice-president, “Hunter Biden was my neighbor. Our wives were friends. I knew him well.

“I talked to him many times about addiction, something I know a lot about. And I’ve said that. I think that Hunter Biden is an addict and that’s why his life is falling apart, and I feel bad for him. I’ve said that many times, and I mean it.

He also said he would not comment on the emails, as they “were described by our [intelligence] community as Russian disinformation. So why would I? And I read that in the Washington Post”.

The Post said Carlson was “speaking with apparent irony”. He and others on the right charge that mainstream media willfully overlooked the Biden laptop in 2020, amid reports it could contain disinformation planted by Russia or other malign actors.

The Post also said emails showed Carlson helping Biden in 2015, amid reports about the state of Biden’s marriage. Carlson has confirmed doing so.

But the Post focused on Carlson’s apparent hypocrisy.

Quoting Carlson accusing Hunter Biden of getting “lucrative jobs … because he had an important father”, the Post said the Fox News host did so without “disclosing that he had once enlisted Biden to help get his son into a prestigious private university”.

On the same January 2020 show, Carlson said: “In America today, there’s nothing illegal about paying de facto bribes by handing fake jobs to the unqualified family members of powerful people. And since it is perfectly legal, naturally, Hunter Biden isn’t the only one shamelessly cashing in on his family name.”

In another email reported by the Post, Susie Carlson wrote: “Tucker and I would be so grateful if you could write a letter or speak to someone in the Georgetown Admission’s [sic] Office about Buckley.”

Biden reportedly agreed to write to the university president and said: “I will do anything you would like me to do.”

According to the Post, Tucker Carlson wrote: “I can’t thank you enough for writing that letter to Georgetown on Bucky’s behalf. So nice of you. I know it’ll help. Hope you’re great and we can all get dinner soon.”

Buckley Carlson went to the University of Virginia. Now communications director for Jim Banks, a House Republican from Indiana, he did not comment on the Post report.

Amid reaction online, the author Radley Balko wrote: “The story here is that Tucker Carlson is the living embodiment of the unearned, privileged elitism that Tucker Carlson derides on his show every night. The Hunter Biden part is just gravy.”

Rightwing accounts pointed to an NBC report which said Biden’s laptop and other sources showed that between 2013 and 2018, he and his company brought in about $11m from work linked to Ukraine and China.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Two of a kind.

I was just about to post "birds of a feather."  ;D

I have often been amused by the irony of Tucker Carlson - the epitome of entitled wealthy elite by birth - pandering to working-class angst as his stock-in-trade.

Of course, an even more blatant example is Trump himself.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

@TommyPigott
Joe Biden in 2020 insisted Hunter “has not made money” from China.

Hunter actually made millions, starting when Joe was VP. Joe Biden lied.

@Tom_Winter
NBC News: Analysis of Hunter Biden's hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018 -- including from foreign backed sources -- and he spent it fast.

NBC: Analysis of Hunter Biden's hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fast

“Biden made $5.8 million, more than half his total earnings from 2013 to 2018, from two deals with Chinese business interests.”

The documents and the analysis, which don’t show what he did to earn millions from his Chinese partners, raise questions about national security, business ethics and potential legal exposure. In 2020, he acknowledged he was the subject of a federal investigation into his taxes.

@KenDilanianNBC
Frank Figliuzzi, the FBI’s former assistant director for counterintelligence, describes the national security risk. “If you can compromise someone with both access and influence, even better. Better still if that target has already compromised himself.”

If we would get money out of politics, these people would not have anything to sell.  And, that is probably to smallest benefit to the vast majority of Americans.

Our country currently exists for no other reason than the continued dominance of a few.  Greed has become the driving principle.  All other principles are meaningless or, perverted.

We have been divided so that we will give up our true principles and, our true virtues are surely following.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keywest said:

@TommyPigott
Joe Biden in 2020 insisted Hunter “has not made money” from China.

Hunter actually made millions, starting when Joe was VP. Joe Biden lied.

@Tom_Winter
NBC News: Analysis of Hunter Biden's hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018 -- including from foreign backed sources -- and he spent it fast.

NBC: Analysis of Hunter Biden's hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fast

“Biden made $5.8 million, more than half his total earnings from 2013 to 2018, from two deals with Chinese business interests.”

The documents and the analysis, which don’t show what he did to earn millions from his Chinese partners, raise questions about national security, business ethics and potential legal exposure. In 2020, he acknowledged he was the subject of a federal investigation into his taxes.

@KenDilanianNBC
Frank Figliuzzi, the FBI’s former assistant director for counterintelligence, describes the national security risk. “If you can compromise someone with both access and influence, even better. Better still if that target has already compromised himself.”

This would seem to be the story, not the one Radley Balko gleaned from all that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

This would seem to be the story, not the one Radley Balko gleaned from all that. 

Biden can lie to himself.  The worst kind of liar.