Kiffin facts

LPTiger

8 hours ago, LPTiger said:

2012  USC.   This was Kiffin's 3rd year at USC.   He returned 18 starters from a 10 win team and 13 all conference players.   The Trojans were preseason #1.   But, for the first time since the 1964 Ole Miss Rebels, the preseason number 1 finished the year unranked.   Kiffin was 7-6, lost 5 of his last 6 and finished the year with 3 straight losses.   He was fired the following year.

2018 Florida Atlantic.    This was Kiffin's 2nd year at FA.  In 2017 he was undefeated in conference play and won 11 overall.   In 18, he was predicted to win his division.   He finished 5-7 overall and 5th in his division.   He lost 4 of his last 6.

2022 OM.   Following another 10 win season, Kiffin would drop 4 of his last 5 games, one by 25 points, and one by 15 after scoring 21 4th Q points after the game had been decided.   He was favored in 2 of the games and the 3rd was a pick-em.

Those are definitely 3 of the many facts about Lane Kiffin!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest MustardSeed

One of the most relevant LK facts left out…

In his 3 years as HC at OM, he has NEVER beaten an SEC team that finished over .500 in SEC play. He’s not done too bad at OM versus their typical baseline….but his better than average seasons have only come because the competition has been well below average. Heck, Harsin beat him in his first year by double digits and held him to 20 points in what was also Lanes high point year at OM….  But drool away…he’s an offensive genius 🤣

All coaches mentioned in this search have risk, but Kiffin is the most expensive risk we could take. Before anyone chimes in with "market rate" or "it's not your money." Yeah, I'm fully aware. The issue is that if we give Kiffin a huge, long guaranteed contract, you can't easily pivot if things go south (i.e. Jimbo at A&M). There are plenty of other risky coaches out there that command far less.

Kiffin's history shows he is fully capable of being merely average. I'm just not sure he's worth the money we seemingly have to pay him and I don't think we can be too upset when he settles in and becomes an 8-5 coach.

Paying Kiffin a ton of money won't make him elite. There is much better value for money elsewhere, but I'd support him if he is hired.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

You can put a spin on anything to make a point. You fail to point out how many star players left said team due to graduation or the NFL. Just because you havesaid amount of returning players doesn’t automatically equate to the same type of production by the previous team. Injuries and other factors can lead to a season where expectations are not met. Hell, and to go by what reporters predict is not something to hang your hat in prove a point. Tell me how many SEC teams have had 2 RBs go for over 200 yards in the same game? The only thing I worry about  with LK is the defense side of the ball. If he hires the righ DC then Auburn will be very, very good.

Are you really trying to make the argument that a team that was preseason #1 team had no talent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

One of the most relevant LK facts left out…

In his 3 years as HC at OM, he has NEVER beaten an SEC team that finished over .500 in SEC play. He’s not done too bad at OM versus their typical baseline….but his better than average seasons have only come because the competition has been well below average. Heck, Harsin beat him in his first year by double digits and held him to 20 points in what was also Lanes high point year at OM….  But drool away…he’s an offensive genius 🤣

This dude is absolutely correct.

image.png

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

The biggest question mark for me was his time at USC.  Pete Carroll had the program rolling and in LK's first year he won one less game that Carroll the year before.   No big deal.   Second year he improved a little.   In his 3rd year they had 13 ALL CONFERENCE players returning, 18 starters returning and a returning QB.   And, he loses 6 games.   I understand losing games in a rebuilding year, but this was year 3 and he nearly a1/3 of the conference's all conference players.   And, he tanked at the end of the year.   And, he was fired.  His SEC wining percentage at Ole Miss is .56 i.e. just above .500.   Take away 3 victories over Vanderbilt and he is exactly at 11-11 in the SEC.  He is 1-2 against us!!!!   What is his best SEC win -- a 2021 win over a 6-7 LSU team?

I believe the NCAA had levied a penalty of 30 reduced scholarships to USC during Lanes 3 years.( Punishment for the Pete Caroll years)  So yes he returned umpteen starters , but there were no quality subs on the sideline.   They were using Walk ons and whatever they could find.  Imagine how bad Auburn would be if 30 scholarships had been taken away.  We wouldn’t beat Tuskegee.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

It's pretty clear that aside from Prime, no one's going to make the whole fan base happy.

Sorry to burst that bubble.  I'm a no on Prime .. he may be a more mature Prime Time than he was in the 80s, but, he's still Prime Time.  😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovemytigerz said:

Sorry to burst that bubble.  I'm a no on Prime .. he may be a more mature Prime Time than he was in the 80s, but, he's still Prime Time.  😂

Well, proves my point even more! 😆

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

All coaches mentioned in this search have risk, but Kiffin is the most expensive risk we could take. Before anyone chimes in with "market rate" or "it's not your money." Yeah, I'm fully aware. The issue is that if we give Kiffin a huge, long guaranteed contract, you can't easily pivot if things go south (i.e. Jimbo at A&M). There are plenty of other risky coaches out there that command far less.

Kiffin's history shows he is fully capable of being merely average. I'm just not sure he's worth the money we seemingly have to pay him and I don't think we can be too upset when he settles in and becomes an 8-5 coach.

Paying Kiffin a ton of money won't make him elite. There is much better value for money elsewhere, but I'd support him if he is hired.

The Jimbo comparison is tired and simply stupid. Jimbo’s play calling ego can’t cash his earnings with contemporary college football schemes. Please stop using the Jimbo contract as comparison with LKs coaching abilities and winning potential! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

Agree!  He's not an elite coach, and IMO, he will not "evolve" into an elite coach.  Trapping Auburn in a $100M contract a la Jimbo Fisher is a bad idea with a coach whose historical career average per season is 8-4.  Auburn can do better, and the Auburn people deserve better!

13 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

The Jimbo comparison is tired and simply stupid. Jimbo’s play calling ego can’t cash his earnings with contemporary college football schemes. Please stop using the Jimbo contract as comparison with LKs coaching abilities and winning potential! 

Like it or not, Jimbo's contract is relevant for a couple of reasons 1) it seems to be being used as a benchmark for Kiffin's reported pay at Auburn and 2) Jimbo was a much more accomplished HC than Kiffin at the time his contract was signed.

Awarding Kiffin this type of money without the HC resume of the guy who set the bar makes no sense.

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
38 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Jimbo’s play calling ego can’t cash his earnings with contemporary college football schemes.

Kiffins continual failed analytics and abysmal decision making in key moments say 

“hold my beer!”

1 minute ago, MustardSeed said:

Kiffins continual failed analytics and abysmal decision making in key moments say 

“hold my beer!”

Who has had more talent to screw up with? Lane or Jimbo? 

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Are you really trying to make the argument that a team that was preseason #1 team had no talent?

Are you really still regurgitating the same nonsense? Never said they didn’t have talent. How many preseason # 1 teams ended the season at #1? That is a weak point to hang your hat on. Every one on this board knows how you feel about LK but you just keep with the same bullet points over and over and over and over. High probability LK will be Auburn’s HBC and I think people way more qualified to make that decision has inquired everything there is to know about all the candidates. Time to put that cow out to pasture 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AUwent said:

It's pretty clear that aside from Prime, no one's going to make the whole fan base happy.

Sanders will not make the whole fan base happy. I can personally attest to that. Sanders has a glitzy image and a short period of success at a minor league school.  He has zero credentials that would qualify him to be a head coach at a major college. There's a reason that the decision makers at Auburn haven't given Sanders serious consideration.

• Like 1