Brandon Cox Improving

DKW 86

It's great to again not have to deal w/ a QB battle like we did for several consecutive years before '04. LMAO @ Tubs quote re: some teammates making Brandon look better than he is. Keep 'em humble Tubs!

Ummm. With exception to last yr. I wouldn't say that it was a QB battle the last 4 yrs. I would say that between Campbell and the 2nd string it came down to who was slightly better than AWFUL... Campbell was so bad at times we had to put someone else in to give the team a lift... Remember the 'ol deer in headlights...

Cox Looking For Comfort Zone at Quarterback

Brandon Cox By Mark Murphy Inside the Auburn Tigers

Date: Aug 10, 2005

Brandon Cox and Tommy Tuberville comment on Auburn's number one quarterback.

Auburn, Ala.--Quarterback Brandon Cox says he is making strides as he prepares for the season opener and his first collegiate start.

“I am continuing to get better,” says Cox, who adds that the overall offense is improving. “Since day one we have made strides and we are looking good out here.

“Everybody knows what they are doing on the first offense,” Cox adds. “With the second team, some of the guys are still learning what they are doing. We have about 95 percent of our installs in so we are able to run different things against the defense and we are looking better.”

AU’s first offense works against the number one defense in practice. That has been a challenge for the quarterback and his teammates on the offensive side of the football. “They are probably the quickest defense we will see all year,” Cox says. “They are going to make us better and hopefully we will make them better.”

Cox says that reading defenses is becoming less daunting as he heads into his redshirt sophomore season. “The first time I would go against the defense, I would see about 22 guys out there,” he says. “Now it is about down to 11 now so it is getting a lot easier.”

Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville says he likes what he is seeing from the man who has the assignment of taking over for SEC Player of the Year Jason Campbell.

“Brandon is doing fine,” Tuberville says. “He is starting to take charge and be in control. That is the main thing for him. Brandon has got the ability. He obviously needs experience.

“He is going to need to learn from mistakes, but he needs to build his confidence, too,” Tuberville adds. “The guys around him know he can get the job done and that is a big plus.”

Cox notes that there is a difference in being the backup and the starter. “You have got a little more attention on you and everybody is looking for you to get the job done,” he says. “You have to step up and be a leader.”

Cox (12) has been busy the past week as the Tigers install their offense.

With Auburn in its second week of preseason drills, Cox says his focus is working on the timing with the new receivers on the team and “studying the playbook.” He notes that he has also been studying the Georgia Tech defense. “It is going to be a great game and we are looking forward to it,” he says.

Tuberville says he will be watching Cox closely in the 11 on 11 work prior to the Sept. 3rd opener vs. Georgia Tech. “The biggest thing for him in the next week will be his presence in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage, even before the ball is snapped,” the coach says. “If he can win that battle everything else is going to come easy for him because he is a natural quarterback, he has good ability and he has guys who are going to make him look better sometimes than he actually may be.”

Ummm. With exception to last yr.  I wouldn't say that it was a QB battle the last 4 yrs. I would say that between Campbell and the 2nd string it came down to who was slightly better than AWFUL... Campbell was so bad at times we had to put someone else in to give the team a lift... Remember the 'ol deer in headlights...

173509[/snapback]

Yeah, Jennifer Wilbanks...cause I know you're not still bashing JC.... :lol:

:au::homer:

Archived