Softball vs Villanova (Fri) and Sat games

Garcia with a floater over the pitcher but in the infield still.  Lol.  Single. 

Hard single up middle.  Winning run now on 3rd with no outs. 

SLOW roller to 3rd and throw not in time!! AUBURN WINS 8-0

2 RUN RULE WINS. WAR EAGLE

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates.  I was confused by the play with McCondichie at bat with Peralta on 2d.  She bunted a 2-footer, beat it out (I think) and Peralta took third.  Then the umps called Carlee back to the plate, and sent Peralta back to second.  Video showed that Carlee stepped on the line of the batter's box.  So why wasn't McCondichie called out?  I don't remember the count, but McCondichie popped out on the next pitch.  My guess is that there were fewer than 2 strikes, the bunt was called foul, and the ump didn't see the line violation.  Ironically, in the next half inning, a Villnova batter was called out for a line violation.  Did anyone see and understand this?

Kasey was saying on air evidently there is a choice that the opposing team gets to decide whether an out or a foul there. Not exactly sure but it seems like choices were made on obstruction calls. 

10 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Thanks for the updates.  I was confused by the play with McCondichie at bat with Peralta on 2d.  She bunted a 2-footer, beat it out (I think) and Peralta took third.  Then the umps called Carlee back to the plate, and sent Peralta back to second.  Video showed that Carlee stepped on the line of the batter's box.  So why wasn't McCondichie called out?  I don't remember the count, but McCondichie popped out on the next pitch.  My guess is that there were fewer than 2 strikes, the bunt was called foul, and the ump didn't see the line violation.  Ironically, in the next half inning, a Villnova batter was called out for a line violation.  Did anyone see and understand this?

I believe rule was changed late last year:

"11.2.5 Legal Position in the Batter’s Box: At the moment of bat-ball contact, the batter may not contact the pitch when any part of her body is touching the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.

EFFECT – Delayed dead ball is signaled. The coach of the defensive team shall choose either the result of the play or the standard effect for illegal contact, which is a strike on the batter and all base runners must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If it is the third strike, the batter is declared out.

I believe this happened in one of our earlier games with McCondichie and she was safe at 1st but had stepped on the batter box line and was called back to plate with a strike.  I like this better than the severity of the older rule.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yes.  Thanks for the rule explanation Slot.  I like the new rule much better as well.  Penta was her usual dominating self.  Her changeup mixed with her power pitching is wicked.  Lowe looks even better than she did 2 years ago IMO.  I don't recall her using a rise ball that much and she is using it quite effectively now.  I don't count last year, but it seems like she depended on her curve and off speed her freshman year.  She looks stronger and has more zip on her pitches.  Good to have her back.  Not sure about Widra's pitching yet and whether she's ready for SEC competition.  Need to see more of her pitching, but her bat has got to be in the lineup somewhere.

• Like 2

I'll just continue here with the 2nd game vs Villanova.  Tresik and Garcia with long balls so far.  Auburn leads 7-2 in 3rd

Blaine aggressiveness reminds me of what Carosone used to do.  Very advantageous base running. 

Strikeout and throw to first on the dropped pitch. 2 outs

Lowe Struckout side. Then Auburn gets an RBI double in 4th. Now Penta in the circle in 5th.

And another.  She's as unhittable as Paige Parker was right now. 

Haha the look of the Villanova hitter trying to bat off Penta is priceless. 2 Fast balls, then 2 straight nasty changeups that got just a piece of.  Then burned with a fastball again.  Just filthy. 

Leadoff walk then Garcia almost housed it lol warning track shot for out 1