Softball vs Villanova (Fri) and Sat games

9 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Penta actually had two plate appearances.  She walked in the 5th, and scored on Blaine's triple.

First 2 of her career.  Funny, she was using Godwin's helmet.  Wonder whose bat she used.  I will say this.  She executed a perfect sac bunt and it really seemed to spark the team.

Observations from Saturday games.  Rolfe is not ready for the SEC.  Her control is non-existent.  Her pitches were all over the place and several were not close.  She has to work on that to be a useful member of the team.  My concerns with Widra continue.  I know the strike zone was the size of a postage stamp and she was frustrated, but as a pitcher, you have to adjust.  Also, if she is going to pitch and hit, it raises the question of how to replace her in the order when she is taken out?  Big dilemma as it weakens the order.  Replacing her bat with Penta?  I don't think anyone wants Penta or Lowe running the bases very much.  Too much risk.  Oh, and the Bri Bomb was a no doubter.  Maybe that will take some pressure off and she can pop some more.

Edited by saminbama

4 hours ago, saminbama said:

First 2 of her career.  Funny, she was using Godwin's helmet.  Wonder whose bat she used.  I will say this.  She executed a perfect sac bunt and it really seemed to spark the team.

Observations from Saturday games.  Rolfe is not ready for the SEC.  Her control is non-existent.  Her pitches were all over the place and several were not close.  She has to work on that to be a useful member of the team.  My concerns with Widra continue.  I know the strike zone was the size of a postage stamp and she was frustrated, but as a pitcher, you have to adjust.  Also, if she is going to pitch and hit, it raises the question of how to replace her in the order when she is taken out?  Big dilemma as it weakens the order.  Replacing her bat with Penta?  I don't think anyone wants Penta or Lowe running the bases very much.  Too much risk.  Oh, and the Bri Bomb was a no doubter.  Maybe that will take some pressure off and she can pop some more.

Widra is able to be in the batting order in many ways; when she pitches, playing infield, as DP or even as sub.  I would say our main options as DP have been Blaine, Goodwin and Widra.  You could have all three in the game for hitting with Widra (P), Goodwin (C) and Blaine (DP).  Also, we have had fielding issues at 3rd base (Bryant and Roach have been snake bit).  Cox has better fielding numbers but less of a hitter than Widra who can also play 3rd.  I feel Widra will help us in the circle but we know who the #1 and # 2 are at this point.

• Like 1

Good talk.  We have an abundance of talent.  Blaine came through big-time today, Ellis and Tresvik with the other RBIs.  Widra saved the game for Penta, who apparently had an off day.  Garcia had the slammer yesterday, struck out twice today.  I'm not sure what my point is, except maybe that we have enough that somebody will be able to come through when others are off.

Penta was not sharp at all.  She scuffled the whole time she was in.  I think fatigue was a factor.  She had 93 pitches in 4  innings.  Her rise ball wasn't sharp at all and she gave up some hard hit balls.  The good news is Widra moved from 3rd to relieve Penta and looked pretty good.  The AP pitcher kept us off balance most of the game and the zone started getting smaller later in the game.  I thought the scoring on the home run was generous.  I believe it should have been ruled a 4 base error.  The RF was parked at the fence and the ball came off her glove.  I know the sun was tough out there, but...    Blaine never slowed down and scored easily.  Looks like Tresvik's bat has won her the CF postion.  She's got some pop with another dinger today.  Late in the game she moved to LF and Packer came in.  We won these games we should win, which is a positive, but today was a liitle too close after we run-ruled them Friday.

Agree with your comment about Blaine's "homer".  I finally got to watch the replay tonight.  I had somehow thought that Penta gave up 4 hits in the first inning.  Found out it was only two, but even that is a breakdown for Penta.  The game started badly when the first batter hit a pop fly down the line in left that Cox couldn't quite get to.  A little quicker outfielder would have caught it.  Then the same batter hit a slow roller down to Ellis, who let it go between her legs.  That batter scored AP's only run.  They did have some threats, though.  Widra gave up a leadoff single in top 5.  Next batter hit into a 6-4-3 double play.  Peralta made several nice plays at the 6 hole; her fielding looks better than last year, and I hope that continues.  In top 7, AP had two on and one out, but solid fielding saved us.  The last batter and their best player, the 3d baseman, hit a long shot to the track in center field.  Packer gathered it in with no trouble, but another 10 feet would have made it a 5-4 game.

Oklahoma lost to Baylor today, and I've realized that both Sam and my comments should have been in the Austin Peay thread.