2023 Softball vs Alabama

#21 Auburn (33-13 overall, 9-6 SEC conference) plays a 3-game series Fri/Sat/Sun - vs -

#13 Alabama (33-13 overall, 9-6 SEC conference) in Tuscaloosa.

Game 1:  Friday, Apr 21 @ 8:00 pm CST will be broadcast on SEC network  ***RAINED OUT***

Game 1:  Saturday, Apr 22 @ 11:30 am CST will be streamed on SEC+

Game 2:  Saturday, Apr 22 @ 3:00 pm CST will be broadcast on SEC network

Game 3:  Sunday, Apr 23 @ 11:30 am CST will be broadcast on ESPN

Statistically, 2 evenly-matched teams.  A great opportunity for Auburn to win an away series.  War Eagle!

(rankings are by ESPN/USA Softball based on games thru Apr 16)

Edited by Golden Eagle
Game 1 rescheduled due to weather

Thank you for this.  I was getting furious my roku wasn't showing it lol. Starting so late are they going to even try to play it? 

Game 1:  About as expected...Auburn 1 - Alabama 6

Auburn had 1 run on 3 hits with 1 error. 

Shelby Lowe pitched the first 4.1 innings; threw 58 pitches, gave up 2 runs on 4 hits, walked 0, and struck out 3

Annabelle Widra pitched the final 1.2 innings; threw 26 pitches, gave up 4 runs on 5 hits, walked 0, and struck out 1.

Alabama had 6 runs on 9 hits with 0 errors. 

Montana Fouts pitched 7 innings; threw 96 pitches, gave up 1 run on 3 hits, walked 2, and struck out 7.

Edited by Golden Eagle
Update score

Auburn up 4-1 so far in bottom 2nd. Denver Bryant 3 run bomb (and bat flip) in first inning.  Now a sacrifice fly in 2nd

• Like 1

#BriBomb!!!!!! Oppo HR gives 5-1 lead in top 6th

Auburn is 11-0 this season when Brianna Ellis homers. 

Also made this play before that HR. She's got excellent defensive skill. Made several plays at first this year. 

Was trying to post DB HR from earlier but no video that I've seen. 

• Love 1

Dean holding off on Maddie in game1 is looking better now that we won.  Fouts wins her game, Penta won hers.  Now they face off tomorrow. So glad Denver Bryant back in the lineup healthy.  Her bat has been a nice addition lately, along with her swagger. 

• Like 1

Game 2:  This one (fortunately) went as expected as well.  Auburn 5 - Alabama 1

Auburn had 5 runs on 6 hits with 3 errors.

Maddie Penta pitched all 7 innings;  threw 114 pitches, gave up 1 run on 3 hits, walked 1, and struck out 7.

Alabama had 1 run on 3 hits with 3 errors.

Alex Salter pitched the first 4 innings; threw 67 pitches, gave up  4 runs on 4 hits, walked 1, and struck out 3. 

Jaala Torrence pitched the final 3 innings; threw 47 pitches, gave up 1 run on 2 hits, walked 1, and struck out 2.

Edited by Golden Eagle
Fixed spacing

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Dean holding off on Maddie in game1 is looking better now that we won.  Fouts wins her game, Penta won hers.  Now they face off tomorrow. So glad Denver Bryant back in the lineup healthy.  Her bat has been a nice addition lately, along with her swagger. 

I feel sure that was CMD's intent...to maximize chance Penta would win her game so didn't pit her against Fouts in the first game.  Tomorrow will be interesting.  Auburn batters were pretty awful in game 1 against Fouts - swung at a lot of balls out of the strike zone, didn't make much contact.  Bama batters were better against Penta in terms of discipline and making contact...just couldn't string together hits (fortunately).

24 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

I feel sure that was CMD's intent...to maximize chance Penta would win her game so didn't pit her against Fouts in the first game.  Tomorrow will be interesting.  Auburn batters were pretty awful in game 1 against Fouts - swung at a lot of balls out of the strike zone, didn't make much contact.  Bama batters were better against Penta in terms of discipline and making contact...just couldn't string together hits (fortunately).

I also don't think Penta had the drop working as well.  If she has it going, could actually be better against them.  Also may up her game with the cross dugout matchup. Encouraged a bit.  This win would be huge.  We've started getting noticed picking off these mid top 25 series.  A win @ Bama who started at #2 I believe would be huge. 

17 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I also don't think Penta had the drop working as well.  If she has it going, could actually be better against them.  Also may up her game with the cross dugout matchup. Encouraged a bit.  This win would be huge.  We've started getting noticed picking off these mid top 25 series.  A win @ Bama who started at #2 I believe would be huge. 

Agree Penta didn't look her best today (but still easily good enough to beat Bama).  I wondered if they deliberately held some pitches for tomorrow?  I liked the stat that Auburn hasn't lost a game when Brie hits a bomb...let's hope she does that early tomorrow.

• Like 2

Game 3 pitchers duel so far ... then McCondiche knocks it over!!!! HR to right field on a scoop! 1-0. That's her first hit in 12 at bats.  2nd HR of year.  Awesome. 

Garcia strikes out for out 3 but Maddie has a lead now.  All 3 outs were Ks. Going bottom 3 with Aub 1-0 lead. 

Penta is matching Fouts. She looks great.  3 up and down

Bama manufactured a run to tie at 1 going to 5th

Bama threatened but Maddie strikes out the batter for 3rd out.  Top 6. Tied 1-1

Woohoo.  Bri with a hit into center drops in front of CF plates a run.  

Bryant with a gapper and plates another!!! 3-1 Tigers on Fouts.

Slow base running though. Would have been out at plate if cutoff was clean.  But we'll take it.