2023 Softball vs Alabama

We don't lose in orange! Haven't lost in the orange jersey all year. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

We don't lose in orange! Haven't lost in the orange jersey all year. 

I love that beautiful Orange!!🦅🐅

Game 3:  Auburn 3 - Alabama 1

Auburn WINS the game and takes the series 2 games to 1.    It's Great To Be An Auburn Tiger!!!

Auburn had 3 runs on 7 hits with 0 errors. 

Maddie Penta pitched 7 innings; threw 114 pitches, gave up 1 run on 6 hits, walked 1,   and struck out 8.

Alabama had 1 run on 6 hits with 0 errors. 

Montana Fouts pitched 7 innings; threw 123 pitches, gave up 3 runs on 7 hits, walked 1, and struck out 11  (she also Intentionally Walked Peralta in the top of the 7th).

***************************************************************************************

No question Montana Fouts has been a very effective pitcher for Bama these past 5 years, but how about Maddie Penta?  After today's game, here's how the two compare for the 2023 season.  Penta > Fouts.

Penta:  21 wins/5 losses/2 saves.  177 IP    /  31 R  /  26 ER  /  1.03 ERA  /  96 H  /  32 BB  /   250 SO

Fouts:  18 wins/8 losses/4 saves.  179.1 IP /  50 R  /  41 ER  /  1.60 ERA  / 106 H  /  34 BB  /      273 SO

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

somebody posted the bath at the end.  The interview was great.  She knew it was coming and kept a side eye on it.  They kept the interview going until the headset removal for the bath.  Great seeing the emotion from Penta also.  Said she never cried before in softball but shed a single tear when hugging Bri after final out.  Great Great day for Auburn softball and a possible catalyst for the postseason push. 

• Like 2

Great day for softball AND baseball!  Auburn baseball just walked it off in the bottom of the 9th, beating Mississippi State 12-11 after being down 7-0 after 4 innings.  They won the series 2 games to 1...AND WERE ALSO WEARING ORANGE JERSEYS!  Both teams' equipment managers should be ordering up a big supply of orange jerseys.

• Like 2

When was the last time we won a series in Tuscaloosa?   I know some have been down on Dean (I wish he would wear some hat other than the Crocodile Dundee one he wears), but this team fights like heck.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

When was the last time we won a series in Tuscaloosa?   I know some have been down on Dean (I wish he would wear some hat other than the Crocodile Dundee one he wears), but this team fights like heck.

Last win at Tusc was 2017. We also won 2018 series in Auburn

• Like 2

Just now, LPTiger said:

I have been critical of the the team's approach at the plate (against great pitchers) over Dean's tenure - and wondered how much was coaching vs Dean/Lenti instructions during at bats vs player talent.  This is reflected in the lack of success those teams had against really good teams and in the post season.  They swung away - at balls out of the zone - at the plate like they were trying to win the game with one swing.  Didn't seem to adjust to a pitcher the 2nd or 3rd time through the batting order.  Didn't always hustle to first base if they thought they were going to be thrown out.  Made some head-scratching base-running errors.  I have never doubted CMD's knowledge of the game - he played it himself and had great success in previous coaching positions.  But something wasn't working at Auburn.  I still believe that.

But I have also commented beginning in this year's Florida series game thread they seem (to me) to be improving.  Making pitchers throw more pitches, being more selective of what they swing at, aggressively fouling off close balls when they get down 2 strikes.  Yesterday they swung at a lot of Fouts's pitches that were up in the zone even though CMD said he had reminded them not to go there.  Today they did better even though they still struck out 11 times.  Success breeds success and I am hopeful that this series road win - on top of the LSU home series win - will boost their confidence and reinforce 'best practices' at the plate.  I'm a fan of this team and am rooting for their success.

• Like 5

I was able to go. There's nothing sweeter than winning in T-town! Atmosphere was great, but it never got to our girls, especially Maddie. Bama is known to get quiet when someone else hits them in the mouth, and this weekend was no different in the softball series. 

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 6

Maddie not only is a great pitcher who changes speeds and eye levels, but dang she seems to have that "it factor" cockiness to her game.  GEagle mentioned confidence above. and Maddie sure seems to have it.   Out pitching Fouts in Tuscaloosa is something very few have done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

That seems like a lifetime ago even though it is just a short 5 years.   I'm happy for these girls tonight.   Today was a great day to be a Tiger.

• Like 1

Absolutely great!  I had thought we were better than bama, and had a chance to win this series.  I've been on the road a lot lately due to a family illness, and haven't had much chance to comment.  The sequence in the first inning of Game 2 was priceless.   So happy for Penta that she could get this win.  We're now tied for third in the conference, I think, and in line for a 1st round bye in the SEC tournament.  We're also sneaking up on regional host territory.  South Carolina will be tough at their place; they've had some good wins recently.  Another road series win would have us hosting, I think, unless we mess it up vs. MSU.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, slot canyon said:

After that game I feel like I need a vacation.........DRAINED!

Who In the AU batting order would you guess would be least likely to hit a HR?

That was the best and most exciting game of the year. So proud of our ladies. War Eagle. 

• Like 1

Fouts is a great pitcher and having the team make adjustments and find a way to beat her after she had dominated the hitters the day before gives me hope for post season.  We have a chance to win any game in post season when Penta is pitching. We are a solid middle of the pack Post Season team we have some power a great starting pitcher, solid defense who if we get hot we might make some noise in the NCAA tournament. This is type of team in NCAA could play a little over their head and go a long ways in the tournament or with a bad break or two go down easliy. The way we played against bama makes me think we have a chance to make some noise.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 6

On 4/23/2023 at 5:36 PM, AUBwins said:

May not seem like it, but we have won 3 of the last 4 series against Alabama, including the last two in Tuscaloosa.  We were scheduled to play them there in 2020, but Covid cancelled the season.  They then swept us in 2021 in Auburn.  I'm wondering if the league changed the way the schedule is set up around 2014-15;  by today's sequencing, we should have played them there in 2014 but didn't, according to the results I found.  Anyone know?

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

May not seem like it, but we have won 3 of the last 4 series against Alabama, including the last two in Tuscaloosa.  We were scheduled to play them there in 2020, but Covid cancelled the season.  They then swept us in 2021 in Auburn.  I'm wondering if the league changed the way the schedule is set up around 2014-15;  by today's sequencing, we should have played them there in 2014 but didn't, according to the results I found.  Anyone know?

The league began the current format when A&M and Mizzou joined the league (which was spring of '13 for softball). For whatever reason, the league didn't settle on the current rotation until 2015, even though they followed the format in 2013 and 2014. 

So you are correct, we should've played in Tuscaloosa in 2014 according to the current rotation but instead played there in 2013. The current 3-year rotation has not changed since 2015 but I'm sure it will in 2025 when Texas and OU join the league. 

• Thanks 1

About that batter's interference call: Watching on TV and getting to look at the play over and over, the interference was very obvious. From the outfield camera you couldn't even see the catcher, the batter was over the plate and had the catcher's entire body blocked from view. If they didn't call that one, they should never again call batter's interference in the future of softball.

• Like 4

Perfect! These are pretty close to how it should be IMO.

image.thumb.png.bc2004c0cd38ec8374919d4b678ddff2.png

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

About that batter's interference call: Watching on TV and getting to look at the play over and over, the interference was very obvious. From the outfield camera you couldn't even see the catcher, the batter was over the plate and had the catcher's entire body blocked from view. If they didn't call that one, they should never again call batter's interference in the future of softball.

Not that it makes and difference but I don't think it was intentional.  The same batter did the same thing reaching for an outside pitch in her previous at bat with no "steal" in progress.  Agree with above, wonder why not called without the need for a challenge or prompt by Lisenby.

• Like 1

Just incredible awareness by Lisenby to push for that in that particular scenario to get out of a threatening inning.  Might have saved the game.

34 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Just incredible awareness by Lisenby to push for that in that particular scenario to get out of a threatening inning.  Might have saved the game.

Well, her ability to make a successful throw was blocked. I think from her perspective it was a no-brainer as she couldn't make the needed throw. I do wonder why it had to be challenged. The ump should have made that call immediately.

Maybe since it was a crucial call the ump decided to let B'ham catch the heat?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

when it happened I was wondering how many times Bama has done that and actually gotten away with it.  Umpire should have call that all day!  

• Like 1