Independence Day menu

AURex

What is on your menu for this 4th of July holiday?

And what will be your entertainment selection -- a movie? some music? A crowd drinking?

As for my home, well, I do most of the cooking here, but I do allow wifey to contribute her specialty. This year brunch is "depression" drop biscuits with hot sausage patties, bacon, cheese, eggs, butter, sausage gravy and various jams/marmalades. For dinner it is charcoal grilled chicken, corn on the cob and zucchini, macaroni salad, sour cream slaw, and Southern seasoned pinto beans.

Music -- I detest the 1812 Overture which is Russian music commemorating a Russian war. So wifey and I selected a bunch of music, both classical and popular. As for popular, Summertime (from Porgy & Bess), American Pie, American Garage (Pat Metheny), R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A., Rockin’ in the Free World, America (Simon & Garfunkel), The Times They Are a Changin, This Land Is Your Land, I Shall Be Released.

Mixed in with -- Rhapsody in Blue, Fanfare for the Common Man, Fanfare for the Common Woman, America (from Bernstein's West Side Story), Short Ride in a Fast Machine, Appalachian Spring, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Gould's American Salute.

The movie choice is "An American In Paris."

• Like 2

Morning will be a breakfast casserole, fruit mix, biscuits and honey.

Dinner is grilled chicken, 7 layer salad, fried green tomatoes, grilled corn, and Shoneys copycat strawberry pie.

• Like 1