Herberholz excited for another opportunity to pitch at Auburn

247sports.com

Herberholz excited for another opportunity to pitch at Auburn

Jason Caldwell
3–4 minutes

A junior college transfer that became one of Auburn’s most reliable starters on the mound a season ago, Christian Herberholz finished with a record of just 1-3 in 2023, but had an ERA of 4.18 and finished with his best outings of the season. Leaving his start against Ole Miss on the next-to-last weekend with arm discomfort, Herberholz allowed just two earned runs in his last 16 innings.

Getting some attention from professional teams during and after last week’s MLB Amateur Draft, Herberholz had the opportunity to live out a dream of playing on the next level, but decided there was unfinished business at Auburn. That means taking care of business both academically and financially.

“It got down to the third day and I got some calls,” Herberholz tells Auburnundercover. “I just told my mom that I really didn’t know what I wanted to do. I had been worrying about not getting my degree because of how old I am. If I had decided to play pro ball, I think it would have been really hard for me to come back and get it.

“I wanted to come back and get my degree. The offers they gave me weren’t something I wanted to take because of the NIL opportunities at Auburn. I decided that would be my best option to come back and finish my degrees and get some NIL money.”

With Joseph Gonzalez coming back for another season and a pitching staff that should be set up for success in 2024, Herberholz said he’s excited to run it back for another season with the Tigers.

“I’m really excited to try to come back and be even better than I was last year,” he said. “I’m also excited that I’ll get to see Joe pitch a full season instead of just watching him on TV. Him coming back too has made it a lot easier.

“I think we’re getting back all of our innings except for Chase Isbell and Tommy Vail. I think Joe is going to step into Vail’s spot and take over those innings. I think our pitching staff is going to be amazing. It could be the opposite of last year. I think our pitching staff might have to carry us a little bit, but I think we’re very capable.”

Making a strong run in the second half of the SEC season last year and hosting a regional at Auburn for the second consecutive season, the Tigers feel like there’s some unfinished business to take care of in 2024. Herberholz said he likes the roster they’re going to be working with next season.

“I think we should go even deeper this upcoming year,” Herberholz said. “All of the teams in Omaha had strong starting pitching, all of their pitchers were really good. It all starts with pitching. If we can have a strong start on the mound then I think it will continue to grow.”

Herberholz joins Gonzalez and senior outfielder Bobby Peirce as players that are returning for another season after having the opportunity to play pro ball.

• Love 1