Is it just me?

Oysterman

I know this has been talked about already in various forms and fashion but what the heck is going on? I know we are never favorites which fine with me but where did they get UT, LSU, and Fl. in the top ten?

UT has half of their team on probation, house arrest, in the pokey, etc. and btw we spanked them twice last year.

LSU has a new coach and coming from a so- so football school Oklahoma State, I do not think he knows what he is in for. First he has to put up with crazy, drunk corn dogs and he has a QB dilema and some major injuries....

Florida, is this Chris Leaks year? every season we always here how good he is going to be, well lets see it, oh and they have a new coach as well. Yes Urban Meyere has been at ND and he was been at Utah where they had a first round draft pick lead the team, aren' they in the mighty Mountain West conference.....

Anyway, I am just upset that the media is so jaded, I can't wait until we step on the field and show the country AGAIN, that we do not deserve to be ranked 20th.....

WAR EAGLE!

All preseason polls are nuts. Since LSU, Tenn., and Fla. play each other, there is no way all three will end up in the top 10.

The media should report the news, not distort the news like they did last year with the whole BCS mess. The media blamed the BCS for the whole contraversy last year, but it was their poll that carried more weight with the BCS than strength of schedule, point victories, top ten teams beaten, etc.

In my opinion, the AP should not have a college football rankings poll, ever. If they do, then it should be disgarded by the NCAA and those affiliated with the sport. We need one comprehensive coaches poll, where coaches votes are made known to the public. No, this isn't a perfect solution but as long as we have this disease known as the BCS, then I would prefer that the fate of my team be in the hands of those who have played and coached the game as opposed to Paul Gattis and a bunch of journalists who couldn't make it through one lap around the track in their 10th grade P.E class.

In regards to preseason rankings, the AP goes by the numbers. The more all Conference and All American players you lose to graduation and the NFL draft, the lower your team will be ranked the following preseason. Just look at UT 1998. The Vols had finished in the top ten the four previous seasons but came into the 98 campaign ranked 13th in America preseason. Why? Well, they lost three all Americans from the previous season, including Peyton Manning.

None of these rankings matter. Nothing matters until the first ball is caught and the first hit made.

Alex :au::sec:

None of these rankings matter. Nothing matters until the first ball is caught and the first hit made.

175430[/snapback]

It did last year :(

It did last year :(

175453[/snapback]

It doesn't matter to me. We were "The Champions" last year. The AP is irrelevant to me and always will be.

I go by the nubmers, not the journalists. We were 13-0 last year and that's all that matters to me.

Alex :au::sec:

LSU has one of the most talented teams in the nation. It doesn't matter if they have a new coach or not. I think that UF is better than UT but a lot of writers think that UT will have a great year for some reason or another.

I think all three of them have the potential to be great, but like someone said they all play eachother, and all of their schedule's are pretty tough. There's no way they'll all end in the top ten. That's why the AP is no good. The continously don't look at the play on the field and focus on the sheet of paper in front of them, but what do you expect their journalists, not players!

Let's show them on Septmeber 3rd that Auburn has the players to contend with anyone in the nation.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

LSU has one of the most talented teams in the nation. It doesn't matter if they have a new coach or not. I think that UF is better than UT but a lot of writers think that UT will have a great year for some reason or another.

175483[/snapback]

yeah its going to be funny to see how the media reacts when UT starts out (1-2).

Guest Tigrinum Major

175483[/snapback]

yeah its going to be funny to see how the media reacts when UT starts out (1-2).

175501[/snapback]

Come on, scott, don't just recycle your tigerforum posts, give us something new. Cut and paste is too easy!

175483[/snapback]

175501[/snapback]

Come on, scott, don't just recycle your tigerforum posts, give us something new. Cut and paste is too easy!

175504[/snapback]

but it just fit perfectly.....hey, give me some credit....I re-typed it (didn't cut and paste) :D:D

175483[/snapback]

175501[/snapback]

Geaux, I could actually see that. :ut: has a weird schedule where they play UAB, off, @ :uf: , then @ :lsu: . If they look past UAB, they could end up 0-3. Hackney would love to take them out and Watson Brown needs another trademark win.

I guess you remember where he got his first...... :big:

In regards to preseason rankings, the AP goes by the numbers. The more all Conference and All American players you lose to graduation and the NFL draft, the lower your team will be ranked the following preseason. Just look at UT 1998. The Vols had finished in the top ten the four previous seasons but came into the 98 campaign ranked 13th in America preseason. Why? Well, they lost three all Americans from the previous season, including Peyton Manning.

Alex :au:   :sec:

175430[/snapback]

This is partly true, Alex, but look at Choklahoma this year, preseason AP #7. They lost like 17 or 18, one of which was the 2003 Heisman winner!!!! A lot of these guys are playing in the NFL this year. Some of it numbers some of it is popularity. A lot of the AP voters don't know their head from ......you fill in the blank. They don't watch football from 9a to 11p on Saturdays every Saturday, like some of us :D What erks me is all the hyp around the Pac 10 only b/c of USC!! Look at this:

There are 5 SEC teams in the top 25, 3 in the top 10

Pac 10 has 3 in top 25, one in top 10

Big 12 has 4, 2 in top 10

Big 10 has 4, 2 in the top 10

Big East has 2 in top 25

ACC has 5 in top 25, 2 in top 10

Louisville could beat every team in the Pac 10. I agree with others that UF will probably be better than UT and UGA, b/c of experience at QB. I think the offensive system Meyer is bringing in to UF will work with the athletes he has there. Only reason UT is hyped so much is b/c of good recruiting classes and returning starters. Still unproven starting QB!! I still love the way our D frazzled pretty boy Ainge last year in Knoxvegas!!! That was classic in and of itself. Forcing him into checking off to passes their first 3 offensive plays. UGA will have a strong running game, critical in the SEC, but you still can't be one dimensional, if Shockley can learn to set back and read and throw and the young WR corps grows up quick they could be a force. LSU will have it's strength in D and running game also, but unproven QB also. If it's not Russell, then it will be an inexperienced Freshman. ?? Head coaching change I don't think affects much with Jimbo still around. Do they have the same Defensive Coordintor?? or did he leave with Saban? Bama is a team to watch out for, but depth is going to hurt them, mainly on the OL. Their D will/should be stellar. best 3 defenses in the country will likely be in SEC West - AU, LSU, Bama. We'll see how their lack of depth plays out this year down the stretch.

I know this has been talked about already in various forms and fashion but what the heck is going on?  I know we are never favorites which fine with me but where did they get UT, LSU, and Fl. in the top ten?

UT has half of their team on probation, house arrest, in the pokey, etc. and btw we spanked them twice last year.

LSU has a new coach and coming from a so- so football school Oklahoma State, I do not think he knows what he is in for.  First he has to put up with crazy, drunk corn dogs and he has a QB dilema and some major injuries....

Florida, is this Chris Leaks year?  every season we always here how good he is going to be, well lets see it, oh and they have a new coach as well.  Yes Urban Meyere has been at ND and he was been at Utah where they had a first round draft pick lead the team, aren' they in the mighty Mountain West conference.....

Anyway, I am just upset that the media is so jaded, I can't wait until we step on the field and show the country AGAIN, that we do not deserve to be ranked 20th.....

WAR EAGLE!

175416[/snapback]

I agree with that whole statement. Im not really sure why UF and LSU are ranked as high as they are. As for AU, they should be much higher. I dont know, preseason polls are never a good way to judge the season.

Archived