Extremist Right drives away AL library book event

AURex

40 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Did you seriously think I was directing that at you personally??   I thought my entire post was clearly rhetorical - "tongue in cheek". :dunno:

I mean, did you really think I was dead serious about response to how kids should learn about sex?

One of us is totally out of calibration when it comes to judging the other. 

Sorry if I mistook your post - the thing that made me feel that way is it was tied to a quote.  But don’t sweat it - I don’t take this stuff personally.  It’s all good.  If we all agreed this forum would be really boring.  

• Like 2

Just now, GoAU said:

I trust school professionals when it comes to education on academic issues.  For things related to faith and values, that’s a parenting issue.  

Except Common Core - whoever invented that crap needs to be removed from education totally…..

First, not all kids have parents, much less responsible ones.

Second, sex and sexuality are part of biology.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

First, not all kids have parents, much less responsible ones.

Second, sex and sexuality are part of biology.

Wait a minute - I thought sex / gender WASN’T a biology thing……

I agree that there are some parents out there that leave a lot to be desired, but that doesn’t give the government the right to assume parenting duties for everyone.

51 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Wait a minute - I thought sex / gender WASN’T a biology thing……

I agree that there are some parents out there that leave a lot to be desired, but that doesn’t give the government the right to assume parenting duties for everyone.

Well, you thought wrongly. All human functions are ultimately related to biology, which is the "science of life", by definition.

Don't know what you are referring to by "giving the government the right to assume parenting duties".  Do you oppose public schools?  

Edited by homersapien

21 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, you thought wrongly. All human functions are ultimately related to biology, which is the "science of life", by definition.

Don't know what you are referring to by "giving the government the right to assume parenting duties".  Do you oppose public schools?  

Ok, so I think we’re getting somewhere now.  I completely agree with biology- XX / XY this should pretty much settle things, right?

Nope - don’t oppose public schools at all.  As a matter of fact, all of my kids have attended public school although,  especially recently, there have been times I’ve questioned my decision.  I’ve been adamant about public school because I think a big part of school is teaching kids to get along and respect other kids from very different backgrounds.   The temptation has been there to send them to private schools, but I haven’t.   

What I meant by “giving the government the right to assume parenting duties” is when a school exceeds the bounds of academic education and proceeds to indoctrinate values or morals.   Public schools had to quit teaching Christian values (which I agree with per the Constitution) so I don’t see why pushing other agendas is any more appropriate.  Keep to the syllabus and teach the topics that are academic and NOT the personal beliefs of teachers - that is the role of the parent(s).  

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 8/15/2023 at 1:17 PM, GoAU said:

Ok, so I think we’re getting somewhere now.  I completely agree with biology- XX / XY this should pretty much settle things, right?

Nope - don’t oppose public schools at all.  As a matter of fact, all of my kids have attended public school although,  especially recently, there have been times I’ve questioned my decision.  I’ve been adamant about public school because I think a big part of school is teaching kids to get along and respect other kids from very different backgrounds.   The temptation has been there to send them to private schools, but I haven’t.   

What I meant by “giving the government the right to assume parenting duties” is when a school exceeds the bounds of academic education and proceeds to indoctrinate values or morals.   Public schools had to quit teaching Christian values (which I agree with per the Constitution) so I don’t see why pushing other agendas is any more appropriate.  Keep to the syllabus and teach the topics that are academic and NOT the personal beliefs of teachers - that is the role of the parent(s).  

We both know why pushing “other” agendas is ok. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:17 PM, GoAU said:

There can be a lot more to to any given aspect of biology than you assume.  For example, chromosomes are not necessarily the sole determiner of sexuality.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sex-redefined-the-idea-of-2-sexes-is-overly-simplistic1/

But it's still biology.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:17 PM, GoAU said:

Do you consider teaching children the reality of and tolerance for alternative sexualities and marriages/families an "agenda" or is it simply introducing them to modern realities?

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

There can be a lot more to to any given aspect of biology than you assume.  For example, chromosomes are not necessarily the sole determiner of sexuality.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sex-redefined-the-idea-of-2-sexes-is-overly-simplistic1/

But it's still biology.

There are 2 sexes - that’s the biology, not counting some very rare outliers.  

I can certainly understand biological males that may be more masculine or more effeminate - but that doesn’t make them a female.  I truly don’t care how someone dresses, that’s their business, but expecting them to compete against girls in sports, or putting them in a locker room with girls affects more than just them.  

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Do you consider teaching children the reality of and tolerance for alternative sexualities and marriages/families an "agenda" or is it simply introducing them to modern realities?

Your “question” is wrong / biased as I don’t believe it is a “reality” at all.  Should a school enforce treating all students with respect - absolutely.   And this includes being respectful of girls that don’t want to share locker rooms or play sports against biological males.  

And, yes, there is a lot of “agenda teaching” going on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

Your “question” is wrong / biased as I don’t believe it is a “reality” at all.  Should a school enforce treating all students with respect - absolutely.   And this includes being respectful of girls that don’t want to share locker rooms or play sports against biological males.  

And, yes, there is a lot of “agenda teaching” going on. 

It’s sickening. Agenda/brainwashing is at an all time high. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1