Similarities to 2003 USC squad

auferg

I think that this Auburn team resembles the 2003 USC team. Both teams finished the prior year with a victory in a major bowl game (sugar and orange, respectively). Both teams lost first round QB's (Campbell and Palmer). Both teams have highly touted, unproven southpaws QBs(I forget, has that USC QB done well the last 2 years?). Both teams lost their senior RB's (Caddy and Ronnie; Fargas, McCollough and MacKenzie). Both teams came in the season underrated despite having depth at almost every position (USC was 8th, and 10th in the two polls).

People didn't realize that Carroll had brought the program up to a point where they simply reloaded. I truly believe the same thing has happened at Auburn. I hope everyone is as excited about Sept. 3rd as I am. I'll see y'all at Jordan Hare a week from saturday. WAR EAGLE!!

:au:

difference is :sc: didnt change coordinators that year, of any kind.

same cannot be said for this year tho.

i dont care if they return 18 of 22 players.

they lost continuity with their coaches and are starting a new system.

Peter Caroll rebuilt the SC program in 2 years, Tubby took 6 years. :blink:

Caroll: 42-9 (.823); 2 NCs

Tubby: 43-34 (.558); 1 SECC, 2 SEC Western division co-championships...

Tubby is not up to Petey standards... Give credit where credit is due.

I like Borges but he is not Norm Chow. Maybe the comparison should be 2005 SC team vs. 2003 AU team. Let's see how well they perform with new assistant coaches. :big:

USC doesn' play in the SEC either. I'll take the meat of the Pac-10 OR better yet the Big-12 anyday. They did not play anybody the caliber of UT, LSU or UGA last year. I think their coaching is a little over-rated. Look at Petey's performance at other stops. Less than stellar. Good but not great.

Peter Caroll rebuilt the SC program in 2 years, Tubby took 6 years.  :blink:

Caroll:  42-9  (.823); 2 NCs

Tubby:  43-34 (.558); 1 SECC, 2 SEC Western division co-championships...

I like Borges but he is not Norm Chow. Maybe the comparison should be 2005 SC team vs. 2003 AU team. Let's see how well they perform with new assistant coaches. :big:

176027[/snapback]

He coaches in the Pac10....nuff said.

It would be fun to swap schedules with usc. I would love to see how they fare in the SEC. Auburn could probably go ahead and make plans for the Rose. :D

176027[/snapback]

176106[/snapback]

SC beat us 2 straight years, one time embarrassing us at home (shutout to boot). Why talk smack now??? :blink:

176027[/snapback]

176106[/snapback]

SC beat us 2 straight years, one time embarrassing us at home (shutout to boot). Why talk smack now??? :blink:

176146[/snapback]

Because we can.....duh!!!!

Quit being so down on our team and get ready for what we have to do this year so we can prove to the nation, and ourselves, that we can beat the "almighty" Trojans or anyone elses, for that matter!!!

Hey Raven, Tubby's record is 51-24 in six years and it is two outright SEC Western divsion championships. Pete did build USC up in a short time but they weren't nowhere near that bad shape Auburn was in when TT tookeover. I think USC could very well lose a game this year but that doesn't mean they won't still be the media's darling :puke: . People gloss over the fact that several important coaches have left and that will cause some disruption.

Hey Raven, Tubby's record is 51-24 in six years and it is two outright SEC Western divsion championships. Pete did build USC up in a short time but they weren't nowhere near that bad shape Auburn was in when TT tookeover. I think USC could very well lose a game this year but that doesn't mean they won't still be the media's darling :puke: . People gloss over the fact that several important coaches have left and that will cause some disruption.

176234[/snapback]

Actually I think we a re both wrong Tubby's records is 68-3968-39. Just grabbed the SEC totals and added 13 wins, not the correct overall totals thru 2003. SC's program was in the tank when Pete took the program over, that's why it was all the more remarkable that he turned it around so quickly (2 years).

Tubby will go down college football history as the only coach to ever inherit a team devoid of talent and milk that for 5 years. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that the 2003 AU team is really a better comparision to the 2005 SC team. Let's see how Pete evaluates coaching talent and how the asst. coaches respond to the challenge. We saw how our OC and HC responded in 2003. :blink:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Tubby will go down college football history as the only coach to ever inherit a team devoid of talent and milk that for 5 years. :rolleyes:  

176244[/snapback]

Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

176244[/snapback]

Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

176257[/snapback]

:big:

Regardless Pete has the ability to recruit players in California that play high school ball on a national tv basis regularly. The talent in cities like L.A., San Fransico, San Diego, etc is just overwhelming in numbers to...lets say, Mobile, Birmingham, etc. Its basically like picking your favorite fruit out of a fruit basket.

I believe Tubby has done alot with the talent he came in with, and the talent he has brought in to the program.

Archived