Auburn vs. Cal Game Contract

Son of A Tiger

We need one thread for the gazillion different ones that are started with this game.

What prompted these two schools to schedule? Unclear. The only mutual connection between these schools appears to be their apparel sponsor: Under Armour. Auburn is currently in search of a new apparel deal, and is free to negotiate with any company, including Under Armour.

AL.com contacted Under Armour to inquire if the company has had a role in organizing games between teams in its apparel network including this Auburn-Cal series or any other in-network matchup. Under Armour did not respond to multiple requests for interviews.

Auburn currently has a home-and-home series set up with UCLA in 2027 and 2028. UCLA was sponsored by Under Armour when that series was agreed upon but is now a Jordan brand team.

I'm guessing Under Armor was incentivizing UA sponsored teams from different conferences to schedule games against each other.....

I don't really care what the incentive was. I like Auburn playing Power5 teams from around the country. It raises the visibility of Auburn.

Cal will be going to the ACC in the future. Then we have a home-and-home with UCLA. By the time those games are played, UCLA will be a member of the B1G.

As a fan, I like these Power5 non-conference games. Not only to watch. But also because playing big-name teams from across the U.S. is great for recruiting. You not only get to play the best of the SEC, you also get to play on nationwide TV against big name Power5 schools around the country.

Auburn needs to continue scheduling games against good Power5 teams around the U.S. Yep, the Penn State home-and-home was a disaster because of .... welp ... Auburn ain't a tater school. But I loved playing Oregon and Kansas State. Can we get UNC or Miami or Washington?

Edited by AURex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it’s on the schedule but who knows if Cal will even play Auburn next year or UCLA down the road. Moving conferences could have other consequences.  

If Cal plays Wake, Pitt, SMU, and Duke on the road next year it’s quite possible they nix the trip to Auburn to save money/travel.