Freeze QB Rotation Changes

AU-24

Admittedly, I used to defend both Chiz and Gus when they were accused of coach speak. I would say things like: “do you expect him to give you the game plan for Saturday“

On the other hand, with Coach Freeze, this guy will look the press square in the eyes and tell them exactly how it is! 

A good example of this is in this article.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/hugh-freeze-wants-changes-to-qb-rotation-auburn-tigers-football-quarterback

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I'm not sold this offense needs 'Robby getting his touches'. It needs Thorne to gain confidence and rhythm. If we have a legitimate and consistent passing threat, we have a good enough run game to succeed. Forcing Robby into the game is hurting more than its helping.

I tend to agree with your assessment. Maybe it will be better if Thorne starts humming 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I tend to agree with your assessment. Maybe it will be better if Thorne starts humming 

Thorne had issues for sure Sat night but he’s only thrown 31 passes in 2 games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Thorne had issues for sure Sat night but he’s only thrown 31 passes in 2 games. 

As a quarterback that has only been on campus for three months, and only been through fall practice, they need to let him sling it to see what he has in a real game. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

The moment this team and fans realize RA is not a QB will be the moment we can finally move forward as an offense.

Not sure who “fans” are but if it’s ppl like us, our opinion should not matter here and if it does, gonna be more of the same.   Yes the team and coaches need to decide /realize what’s best. 

Edited by TigerPAC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Not sure who “fans” are but if it’s ppl like us, our opinion should t matter here and if it does, gonna be more of the same.   Yes the team and coaches need to decide /realize what’s best. 

The "Fans" are the imbeciles who keep begging him to play QB. Yes, I know what we say here doesn't matter. I just wanted to make a point to throw that out there.  And yes, if Freeze keeps up with this, he is also an imbecile. All that does is mess up rhythm and basically lose reps. This isn't mass anymore. Better players aren't falling for anything RA is doing.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

The moment this team and fans realize RA is not a QB will be the moment we can finally move forward as an offense.

We agree with you. It’s the coach you need to convince. Sounds like he is determined to get RA involved. It is a little disappointing but he is the best QB guru we have ever had on the plains, other than maybe Borges. 

It also sounds like he is very disappointed in Thorne already, and you could see it in the game the other night.

Thorne just need to make quicker decisions. 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

We agree with you. It’s the coach you need to convince. Sounds like he is determined to get RA involved. It is a little disappointing but he is the best QB guru we have ever had on the plains, other than maybe Borges. 

It also sounds like he is very disappointed in Thorne already, and you could see it in the game the other night.

Thorne just need to make quicker decisions. 

No not everyone does. You can literally read the game threads and people keep saying "RA needs a chance to actually throw." And it will happen this week again.  RA is NOT a QB. RA is not a supreme athlete either. I have heard that nonsense too around here.  He is a decent football player, MAYBE.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

Another thing I can't get either is what is HG doing where he can't move up the depth chart, nor get real PT? This is with Harsin and now Freeze. I would think he would be able to at least jump RA in the depth chart. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

I've been very pleased with CHF since he got here, he's done a remarkable job. But for the first time I find myself questioning a concept. Why should the guy who had 30% of the snaps and produced 8 yards of offense against a P5 opponent "continue to get his touches" ? The logic escapes me there. But, that is CHF's decision of course and he owns it, along with the consequences. I personally think this 2 QB system is a mistake.   

100%.  I hope we see PT get all the snaps in the 1st half against Stanford, sorry Samford....

• Like 3

If I read between the lines it doesn’t sound like Hugh was particularly happy with the offensive game plan and execution Saturday.  If I’m correct can you blame him?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

If I read between the lines it doesn’t sound like Hugh was particularly happy with the offensive game plan and execution Saturday.  If I’m correct can you blame him?  

He said he didn’t think play calling was the problem.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Another thing I can't get either is what is HG doing where he can't move up the depth chart, nor get real PT? This is with Harsin and now Freeze. I would think he would be able to at least jump RA in the depth chart. 

The talk from the beat guys has always been that he throws the prettiest ball but struggles when theres a live pass rush coming after him. After watching Thorne look totally rattled Sat I wonder if the coaches feel the same?

1 minute ago, CR said:

The talk from the beat guys has always been that he throws the prettiest ball but struggles when theres a live pass rush coming after him. After watching Thorne look totally rattled Sat I wonder if the coaches feel the same?

Maybe, but at this point I don't see how in the very least he don't get reps, when we have a back up who literally cannot complete a forward pass consistently (Pass rush or not).

• Like 1

Sooooo, we're really going to act like "not having a rhythm" is a valid excuse for why Thorne looks like garbage out there? I would think that, that would be pretty low on the totem pole of reasons why he played poorly on Saturday. 

Frankly, I just don't think he's that good, and the offense isn't talented enough to mask that. 

It could also be a possibility that Cal just has a top notch defense.... maybe it's a combination of the above. Who knows? Let's give him until after the A&M. 

At the end of the day it is obvious (because HF has said it about 7 times over the last week, including coming out of halftime Saturday) that HF is not happy so far with Thorne. He said he needs to play confident or he will not be playing much the second half. When they pulled Thorne in the 3rd the look on HF was not good. 
I know he is new at AU but he is a 2 year starter and HF has said he is making mistakes he should not make. He said it this past week. I don’t think this is what the coaches were expecting. Instead of a ready made QB who just has to learn the playbook, they are having to coach him up. 
And Robby… I wish he would switch positions like kodi for the good of the team. I remember hearing the Gatewood talk for years. He is at TE now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

I've been very pleased with CHF since he got here, he's done a remarkable job. But for the first time I find myself questioning a concept. Why should the guy who had 30% of the snaps and produced 8 yards of offense against a P5 opponent "continue to get his touches" ? The logic escapes me there. But, that is CHF's decision of course and he owns it, along with the consequences. I personally think this 2 QB system is a mistake.   

This. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

No not everyone does. You can literally read the game threads and people keep saying "RA needs a chance to actually throw." And it will happen this week again.  RA is NOT a QB. RA is not a supreme athlete either. I have heard that nonsense too around here.  He is a decent football player, MAYBE.

He definitely is not a QB.  It baffles me that he is not seeing the field as a WR, or RB safety valve.  He has the legs, so give him the ball in space he can work with.  Use him as someone that either draws defensive attention, or a decoy.

As a QB, everyone knows he is most likely not throwing the ball.  No one considers him QB2, and if he is playing QB, they consider it a good thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He said he didn’t think play calling was the problem.

He did say that, he was also calling the plays on the last drive. Thank God he was!

• Like 1