GT Loss

Raven_tiger

Brandon showed some glimpses of his potential. He stood in there and delivered passes with little or no pass protection. I hope that he does not become gun shy, the OL needs to improve (understatement of the year). We really didn't see any of the running game, credit GT for making BC the focal point of our offense. Our WR performed very well, however like I said all summer, someone has to get the ball to them. It's difficult for BC to pass the ball effectively while being hit or harrassed on every pass play and virtually no running game for the defense to respect. I was surprised to see that given our OL's experience (outside of the center position), that we were manhandled up front by GT.

Our defense was a dissappointment for most of the night. It looked like too many gimmics used to try to get the job done. GT managed to run the ball right down our throat sucessfully. Our defensive ends were undisiplined, often over-running a play or being caught out of position. Reggie Ball had forever to pass, the pass rush (w/o blitzing) was non-exsistent. If you give a good QB time he will pick apart most defensive backfields.

Do we have problems on special teams??? We let a punt hit the ground and lost good field position by doing so. Tubby did not attempt a FG, kicker issue? I don't know.

Several people on this board griped about a lack of respect, superior talent this year, and that we were 13-0 LAST YEAR. Well now we have been given a rather large dose of reality. Did I expect 13-0??? Absolutely not. Did I expect that we would beat GT. Absolutely.

Hopefully the coaches will correct the problems. It's a long season.

It's not the end of the world, imagine the people in The Gulf region who would like to be able to say that all they are concerned about is a football loss.

Let's get behind the coaches and support the relief effort in any way that you can.

War Eagle!

:au::cheer:

I am wondering if we are in fact depending too much on Defensive speed at the expense of some more size. We were having difficulity stuffing those runs between the tackles.

Also, I believe we are better off with bigger running backs and using Trey on flare passes or other plays where he is one on one with the defense. There is a reason Trey is starting, something we don't know yet but Irons and Stewart must be missing something.

This team gets better during the year and could be good later. (Anybody heard from SouthLink since Katrina?)

Not the end of the world, but probably the end of the season. Fans waited 9 months to see this team back in action. We believed, even if we didn't fully expect, to see this team fight to defend its SEC title.

We can put those thoughts away now. No such season awaits us this year. In time, it will become clear that, while this team has potential, it's a far cry from last years dream season. It's just a serious attitude shift some have to make. Expectations and all must be toned down.....a lot.

But Auburn football will continue to be Auburn football, and that's a very good thing. Even if it doesn't involve a perfect season.

Not the end of the world, but probably the end of the season. Fans waited 9 months to see this team back in action. We believed, even if we didn't fully expect, to see this team fight to defend its SEC title.

We can put those thoughts away now.

178318[/snapback]

Why GT is not a conference team and it was the first game of the season, ok no 13-0 this year but what about losing to GT means we cant defend our SEC crown.

178318[/snapback]

Why GT is not a conference team and it was the first game of the season, ok no 13-0 this year but what about losing to GT means we cant defend our SEC crown.

178592[/snapback]

Exactly. Just a hiccup, not a major setback. AU can still achieve it's conference goals, and also beat Bama...

:cheer:

178318[/snapback]

178592[/snapback]

In the strictest, technical sense, you're right. GT wasn't a conference game. Auburn is still eligible to win the SEC West and go defend its title. But it won't. It didn't when it started 0-2 in 2003, and it won't this year. GT exposed Auburn in several areas that other, far more talented teams will be have a field day with.

I had hoped for a 9-2 season before the GT game. Now Auburn will be lucky to win 8 games, but more realistic would be a 7-4 record.

178318[/snapback]

178592[/snapback]

In the strictest, technical sense, you're right. GT wasn't a conference game. Auburn is still eligible to win the SEC West and go defend its title. But it won't. It didn't when it started 0-2 in 2003, and it won't this year. GT exposed Auburn in several areas that other, far more talented teams will be have a field day with.

I had hoped for a 9-2 season before the GT game. Now Auburn will be lucky to win 8 games, but more realistic would be a 7-4 record.

178889[/snapback]

Exactly, you need to explain to these Fans on the board that its not gonna be too pretty this seaspn.

Exactly, you need to explain to these Fans on the board that its not gonna be too pretty this seaspn.

I think you just did.

I haven't posted on this board in a long time, but the loss to GT and some reactions of some have prompted me to do so. I am no Nostradomus, but if we can only muster 14 points against GT at HOME, in front of one of the most electric crowds at JH in recent memory, I don't expect us to fare well against other SEC teams this season. Granted, it was our first game and Cox's first start of his career, but in my opinion, I thought we looked pretty bad. For example, our offensive line is massive and experienced for the most part, and how many times was Cox hurried? How many rushing yards did we get? Of course you have to give credit to the GT defense, but come on, they completely owned us. The same goes for our defense. We didn't look anywhere close to where we were last year. I realize there are some change ups, but for the most part, this is the same defense. Once again, give credit to Ball for avoiding the blitz, but not too much, it looked like Daniel Cobb could have escaped our D Saturday night. Also, I know it was Cox's first start, and no doubt he would be rattled and nervous. But honestly, this kid is like 22 and has been around this offense for a while now. And he seems like a smart kid. I expected mistakes, but not that many. To say the least, I am nervous about Miss State. And it won't get any better from there. Kentucky even worries me now. Don't get me wrong, as an AU graduate, I love AU and will continue to support them with all my heart. But it just seems like before this game, people had their expectations way too high, and now they seem just as high, which doesn't make sense to me.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I think you just did.

178902[/snapback]

Then why don't you and your new found friend AWK scurry down to T Town and cheer for the Tide? They appreciate fair weather fans down there.

I used to respect your opinion, Raptor. No more.

I haven't posted on this board in a long time, but the loss to GT and some reactions of some have prompted me to do so. I am no Nostradomus, but if we can only muster 14 points against GT at HOME, in front of one of the most electric crowds at JH in recent memory, I don't expect us to fare well against other SEC teams this season. Granted, it was our first game and Cox's first start of his career, but in my opinion, I thought we looked pretty bad. For example, our offensive line is massive and experienced for the most part, and how many times was Cox hurried? How many rushing yards did we get? Of course you have to give credit to the GT defense, but come on, they completely owned us. The same goes for our defense. We didn't look anywhere close to where we were last year. I realize there are some change ups, but for the most part, this is the same defense. Once again, give credit to Ball for avoiding the blitz, but not too much, it looked like Daniel Cobb could have escaped our D Saturday night. Also, I know it was Cox's first start, and no doubt he would be rattled and nervous. But honestly, this kid is like 22 and has been around this offense for a while now. And he seems like a smart kid. I expected mistakes, but not that many. To say the least, I am nervous about Miss State. And it won't get any better from there. Kentucky even worries me now. Don't get me wrong, as an AU graduate, I love AU and will continue to support them with all my heart. But it just seems like before this game, people had their expectations way too high, and now they seem just as high, which doesn't make sense to me.

178909[/snapback]

I defiantly would not say the crowd was electric. It was good at best. It did not seem like the crowd was ever that really into it like the Georgia and LSU game last year.

Raptor, when did you turn into a fair weather fan? :blink:

As far as the crowd being electric both Espn and Rob made mention that the atmosphere was not the best they had seen, the only one I heard that was impressed was the play by play guy from espn who it was his first time even in JH.

OH well I am finished with fair weather people, if your not Raptor no disrespect was intended. But let the complain I have a team to support this weekend.

WDE :au:

I think you just did.

178902[/snapback]

Then why don't you and your new found friend AWK scurry down to T Town and cheer for the Tide? They appreciate fair weather fans down there.

I used to respect your opinion, Raptor. No more.

178925[/snapback]

Is it true that Tide gals get all friendly and accommodating when uat is winning ? If so, I might just take your advice. :poke:

Sorry folks, but I've been a fan since 1982, and tend to think I have a decent read on how the Tigers are gonna do. This loss was a kick in the teeth, and unless I'm shown to be woefully wrong, this won't be a pretty season. I wasn't delusional enough to think we'd run the table again, but I did think we'd challenge for the title. I don't see that happening now. Guess that makes me a Tide fan now, huh? :huh:

You may want to note, I've not called for CTT's job, or bashed a single player one bit. I'd like some answers, or at least explanations as to what happened last Sat night, but I think I saw it for my own self. I thought BC did a decent job, and has a bright future. I kinda wonder why Tre looked heavier/slower than I remember him, but it's been 2 years.

Anyway, the pain continues to wear off as Sat gets closer. Don't think I'll change my view on the rest of the season, but I'll gladly take recepies for Crow if I'm proven wrong.

Archived