2.26.24 Football Articles

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn spring football: Notes and quotes on the tight end room ahead of spring camp

Published: Feb. 26, 2024, 6:30 a.m.

4–5 minutes

Auburn tight end Rivaldo Fairweather dodges Samford cornerback Kourtlan Marsh (1) during the first half Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023, in Auburn, Alabama. (Julie Bennett | preps@al.com)Julie Bennett | preps@al.com

The second spring camp of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn is just around the corner as it’s set to get underway Tuesday.

The Tigers will then proceed to hold 13 spring practices in preparation of Auburn’s spring game — also known as A-Day — which is set to be played on April 6 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Before spring practices get underway, AL.com will take a position-by-position look at the Tigers’ roster. Today’s look? Auburn’s tight end room.

Who did the Tigers lose in the tight end room?

Auburn’s tight end room didn’t take much of a hit between the end of the 2023 season the start of spring camp.

The only face from the 2023 season that’ll be missing from the tight end room come the start of spring practice will be Tyler Fromm, who made the decision to enter the transfer portal on Dec. 6.

Fromm went on to land at Georgia Southern for his final year of eligibility.

While Fromm appeared in 12 of the Tigers’ 13 games last fall, he only contributed three receptions for 21 yards.

Who are the Tigers returning in the tight end room?

After Fromm’s departure, Auburn was left with five tight ends in its locker room — all of whom are set to return in 2024.

In returning fifth-year senior Rivaldo Fairweather to the tight end room, the Tigers won’t be going without their leading receiver from last fall. In his first season at Auburn, Fairweather, who had transferred in from Florida International, led the Tigers’ receiving efforts with 38 catches for 394 yards and six touchdowns.

“I proved that I could do it in the SEC. Even coming from Conference USA, I proved... I could play in this league and I proved that I’m one of the best tight ends in this league,” Fairweather said following Auburn’s loss in the Music City Bowl. “Coming next season, I’m coming back 10 times harder to be the best tight end in the nation and that’s my mindset going in this offseason.”

Joining Fairweather for another season on The Plains is sixth-year senior Luke Deal, who announced he’d be returning to Auburn for his final season in late November. Deal, who served as a team captain last season, didn’t log a reception in 2023.

However, Deal’s return shouldn’t be overlooked considering the leadership be brings back to the locker room.

“Luke is a big part of this team and he’s great leader. He leads all of us in the right direction and just keeps the team steady-headed and his leadership is big for this team,” Fairweather said of Deal. “I know he’s been here and he’s played in these big games before so he kind of tells us sometimes how it’s going to be and we’ll be prepared for it. Luke, he’s a great player. We need him on this team.”

Brandon Frazier, another fifth-year senior, and sophomore Micah Riley are set to round out the Tigers’ group of returning tight ends.

Frazier’s return comes after a 2023 season that saw him tally seven receptions for 73 yards and two touchdowns, while Riley logged two catches for 40 yards and a touchdown.

Who did the Tigers add to the tight end room?

Auburn’s lone addition to its tight end room came in a transfer announcement on Jan. 8 as sophomore Maryland transfer Rico Walker announced that he’d be coming to Auburn, following in his father’s footsteps.

Walker’s father, Ricardo Walker, played along the Tigers’ defensive line in the 1990s.

During his freshman season with the Terrapins, Walker appeared in four games and collected four passes for 27 yards.

A member of the 2023 recruiting class, Walker was rated a 4-star prospect by 247 Sports and was listed as the seventh-best recruit out of the state of North Carolina.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

tigerland keeps letting me down lately. i wonder if someone new is running it?

On 2/26/2024 at 8:52 AM, aubiefifty said:

tigerland keeps letting me down lately. i wonder if someone new is running it?

It’s probably just this time of year fiddy.   Not much to talk about until Spring Practice starts