Frank Orgel, former Auburn assistant loses his battle with ALS

om

Frank Orgel, former Auburn assistant under Pat Dye, loses his battle with ALS at 86

Published: Mar. 27, 2024, 9:33 a.m.

~4 minutes

Auburn head football coach Pat Dye, left, and defensive coordinator Frank Orgel are shown on the sideline in 1984. (Birmingham News file photo by Ed Jones)The Birmingham News

After a long, 20-year battle with ALS, former Auburn assistant coach and defensive coordinator Frank Orgel died at his Auburn home Friday. Orgel was 86 years old.

Orgel joined former Auburn head coach Pat Dye’s inaugural staff in 1981 — reuniting with his former college roommate and teammate as Orgel and Dye both played football at the University of Georgia in the late 1950s.

In a story written in 2015, Orgel recalled getting the call from Dye immediately after he was hired.

“He got the job on Saturday, I guess,” Orgel recalled. “And he picked me up Sunday morning. We went recruiting.”

Orgel remained alongside Dye at Auburn through the 1986 season, meaning he played a pivotal role in Auburn’s dominant run through the 1980s. In 1982, Orgel was on the sideline to watch Auburn snap its nine-game losing streak to Alabama. The following season, Dye and Orgel returned home to the place they met and beat the Georgia Bulldogs in Athens to clinch the SEC title.

Orgel eventually left Auburn for a gig at South Carolina after having been a finalist for Tulane’s head coaching vacancy. Instead, the Green Wave went on to hire current North Carolina head coach Mack Brown.

After three seasons at South Carolina, he returned to his alma mater, working under Ray Goff. There at Georgia, where he spent eight seasons, Orgel watched names like Will Muschamp and Kirby Smart pass through the program.

By the time his 40-year coaching career had ended, Orgel had made stops to Warner Robbins High School, Florence State College (University of North Alabama), East Carolina, Clemson, Auburn, South Carolina, and the University of Georgia.

After hanging up the headset, Orgel went on to serve as the Athletic Director for the Dougherty County School System back in his hometown of Albany, Georgia from 1995-2001.

Following his ALS diagnosis, Orgel retired and moved back to Auburn.

“Frank quickly renewed his friendship with the Auburn community and was embraced by the Auburn University Lettermen’s Club and surrounded by fellow coaches and players,” Orgel’s obituary reads. “Even though Coach fought his biggest opponent outside the stadium, it was not unusual for him to be seen in his powerchair at football practice and games, even in recent months.”

Orgel is survived by his wife of 50 years, Sarah, their daughter Leigh Ann Orgel Mathis, son-in-law Cary Mathis and grandson Weston “Buddy” Mathis. He was preceded in death by his parents, Samuel and Sara Orgel, and his brother, David Orgel.

Orgel’s Celebration of Life is set to be held on March 28 from 5-7 p.m. at the Auburn University Club Pavilion with Chette Williams, Auburn football’s team chaplain, presiding.

According to Orgel’s obituary, the family requests, in lieu of flowers, donations be made in memory of Frank Orgel to the ALS Association at 300 Cahaba Park Circle, Suite 209, Birmingham, AL 35242.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Sad 1

i know i do dailies but i felt like this deserves it's own thread.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i know i do dailies but i felt like this deserves it's own thread.

I lost a great friend to this absolutely devastating and cruel disease. Even his ex wife got on board with fund raisers at the end. He wasn't perfect, but neither is anyone else. God bless the family, cause we have no idea what they went through. 

I got to know Frank personally over the last 5 years and can honestly say he was a good man. He genuinely cared for each person he coached and knew. I'll miss him for sure, but if I could change the title of this thread a bit I'd have to change it to "Frank Orgel, former Auburn defensive coordinator, passes away after giving ALS hell for 20 years". 

Not only did he live for 20 years after the diagnosis (which is a crazy long time), but he never let it beat him, change who he was, or change how he treated others. Coach was a tough dude.

• Thanks 1