Why delaying SS retirement is a bad idea

I’ll probably save the government and the tax payer a lot of money and tap out before it’s time to draw it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I’ll probably save the government and the tax payer a lot of money and tap out before it’s time to draw it. 

True. But countering that, people are living longer (I think).

On 4/27/2024 at 11:52 PM, TexasTiger said:

A lot of folks aren’t able to just stay in their jobs longer.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/retirement-age-65-most-workers-retire-at-62/

I think the entire landscape will change in the next 15 years or so.  I know a lot older Americans that are now benefiting from pension plans and the ability to assign benefits from those plans.  Few companies now offer the type of retirement plans that are that generous and designed to allow an individual to retire based strictly on years of service.  I know one lady that is 70.  She receives her Social Security, her teacher pension from Georgia and a retirement from Alabama.  In addition to that, she is receiving her late husband's pension.  She is doing quite well. 

22 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I think the entire landscape will change in the next 15 years or so.  I know a lot older Americans that are now benefiting from pension plans and the ability to assign benefits from those plans.  Few companies now offer the type of retirement plans that are that generous and designed to allow an individual to retire based strictly on years of service.  I know one lady that is 70.  She receives her Social Security, her teacher pension from Georgia and a retirement from Alabama.  In addition to that, she is receiving her late husband's pension.  She is doing quite well. 

Many are. But most folks don’t have state pensions.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

True. But countering that, people are living longer (I think).

I don’t think my body will hold out that long. Drinks on me.