30 hour debate on judges

channonc

I was just curious what everyone thought.

I personally feel this is a complete waste of time. I have no problem with the debate in principle, just the timing of the debate. We are 3 approps bills away from being done with the people's business. Instead, Frist decides that it would be a better idea to debate 4 judges that are being fillibustered. Oh by the way, the Dems have already approved 168 judges that Bush has nominated. If this was so important, this debate should have been launched when the filibusters started, not when we are trying to get things done for the 2004 budget.

Also, all this does is punish staff on both sides who don't have a vote.

If these judges were mainstream conservatives then I'd probably be upset with the Democrats for not just confirming them. However, that's not the case and I think that fillibustering was the only tool available to the Dems to keep these nominees from being pushed through. I e-mailed Sessions and Shelby and told them that if they supported Pryor then they'd lose my vote!!! :D

Some of them even had roll away beds brought in. Whats the point in staying up for 30 hours for a debate if your going to go to bed?????

They were going in shifts.

I e-mailed Sessions and Shelby and told them that if they supported Pryor then they'd lose my vote!!! :D

Just out of curiosity, did they ever HAVE your vote to begin with?

I e-mailed Sessions and Shelby and told them that if they supported Pryor then they'd lose my vote!!!  :D

Just out of curiosity, did they ever HAVE your vote to begin with?

That's the funny part...I voted for Shelby the last time!!! So, yes, and they lost it!!! :D:D:D:D:D

I disagree - there is not one instance in our history where EITHER party conducted a filibuster in the Senate to PREVENT a vote on a judicial confirmation where that judge had already been approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee and where there were a majority of votes on the Senate floor to confirm.

The obstruction of any Clinton appointees must have been in committee - which meant they probably would not have had the votes to win passage in the full Senate either.

The other thing I am going to throw out there, is if these guys are so horrible then they shouldn't have been passed out of committee in the first place.

That being said, I think both parties are wasting time on this one. The debate isn't going to change any minds. On top of that, it is only wasting time that needs to be spent on debating the energy bill, appropriations bills, etc. that have to be passed before the session ends. Both parties are wasting time and money. This debate should have happened months ago when the fillibuster started. Instead we do it, instead of the people's business. No wonder some people have no respect for these guys, on both sides!!

The other thing I am going to throw out there, is if these guys are so horrible then they shouldn't have been passed out of committee in the first place...

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Archived