How bad is the Kool-Aid on Bamamag?

DKW 86

Without comment, read for yourself.

perrybama

(9/22/05 8:36:34 am )

Re: Who's the next coach at Bama? Jimmy Barnes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rush will be to old when we start to look for a new head coach. personally I think Jimmy Barnes will be a good candidate for the next head coach. By that time he probably will have finished a twelve year pro coaching career and five years as Offensive coordinator at Alabama under then aging coach Mike Shula. Coach Shula will retire after his fifth NC, not wanting to break the record of CPB, out of respect for the history of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this bold prediction comes to pass, I will set up a dining room table in front of the Denny chimes complete with a table cloth, candle (ambiance), and chair. I will sit down at said table dressed like one of those Scottsboro boys and proceed to eat every piece of :au: merchandise I own while humming, "Yea Alabama".

You :ua: fans have my word. You can stand around and ensure I consume every thread.

Bo, it was the prediction of Shula's 5th NC that was the kicker. Whowould even try and predict anything like that.

From the CrimsonWhite

The littlest dynasty

Pluck and Grit

By Matt Scalici

September 23, 2005

Link to Story

Eight months.

That's exactly how long the "Auburn Dynasty" lasted. After three straight years of beating Alabama and building a program worthy of being declared "The People's National Champions," the Auburn Tigers are right back where they started: playing second fiddle to the Crimson Tide.

How is it possible to lose such an enormous amount of national respect and clout in such a short period of time? If anyone knows how to do it, it's Auburn.

In 1957, Auburn won its first (and only) national title. The Tigers were on top of the football world in a time when the sport was becoming America's new national pastime.

So did Auburn capitalize on this opportunity and turn into the next big thing in Southern football? Not exactly. It would be 26 years before Auburn would even win its conference again.

Let's check out the next banner in the Auburn hall of fame, the 1993 season. Terry Bowden led the Tigers in his first year as head coach to a perfect 11-0 record and was triumphantly carried off the field after beating Alabama for the first time ever at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn's time had finally come. Except for one thing: The Tigers were on probation and had no chance to compete for a conference or national title.

And of course, we all know about 2004, Cadillac "The School That I Had Chose" Williams and the last-second touchdown by Spencer Pennington that might have kept the Tigers out of the national championship game.

So how do these three instances, the three greatest moments in Auburn football history, explain how far the Tigers have fallen in just one summer?

In Terry Bowden's words, it's all about "AttitUde." There are programs that know how to act when they're on top - places like Notre Dame, Michigan, USC and, not so long ago, Alabama.

Auburn is not one of those schools. Whenever the Tigers have been given a chance at success, an opportunity to finally eclipse the mighty Crimson Tide in the way of national prominence and respect, the results are always the same: They inevitably blow it.

Alabama has been down and out for half a decade. The Tide has been forced to deal with an embarrassing 2000 season, devastating NCAA sanctions, a gutless betrayal by a head coach, a trashy scandal by his replacement and finally the utter humiliation of losing for three straight years to Auburn.

Auburn had the crown of Dixie handed to it on a silver platter coming into the 2005 season. Three games in, it appears that Auburn has missed the chance for coronation once again.

The Tide outranks Auburn in both major polls and is two weeks away from what is being hyped as one of the biggest games of the year against Florida. Meanwhile, Auburn's name won't be uttered again until the middle of October when the team plays its next real opponent (sorry Tigers, Western Kentucky High School for the Blind probably won't attract the GameDay crew).

Such is life in the Loveliest Village on the Plains, where fans chant, "We're No. 2," where it's tough to be seen in the shadow of Alabama and where losing is just a way of life.

kool-aid.jpg

If they are this deluded after beating Mighty Middle Tennessee, A great Southern Mississippi and perennial power South Carolina, (now assigned major signature win status) how will they act/think if they ever beat Tennessee, LSU, Florida or AUBURN?

Mr. Scalici obviously hasn't seen the facts about the two schools in recent times. The only people of the opinion that AU lives in the shadows of UAT are the mullet-heads from Tuscaloosa.

This is a perfect place for a link to the Classics Forum with special thanks to Titan:

Auburn v. UAT - modern era of football

That is really amazing. You can actually HEAR the Redman "juice" dripping from his lips as he types. (Or, as he has someone translate his "words" and type them for him.) uaters are the most pathetic bunch of bandwagon "hasbeens" around.

I do dearly love the comedy relief. :big:

I can't wait until that FIRST loss of the many that will come their way this season. They will go from proclaiming flipper as the second coming to calling for his head and naming the long list of "candidates" that can't wait to be the next in a long line of sacrificial lambs to run through the loserville grist mill. B)

Great fun! :lol:

Let's check out the next banner in the Auburn hall of fame, the 1993 season. Terry Bowden led the Tigers in his first year as head coach to a perfect 11-0 record and was triumphantly carried off the field after beating Alabama for the first time ever at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

kool-aid.jpg

183298[/snapback]

I believe he got this wrong.... It was Dye's team in '89 that beat Bammer the

" first time ever" at JHS. The guy don't even know his facts.... LOL :lol:

Is Scalici a journalist? Auburn didn't first beat Alabama in '93 at JH...they did it first in '89 when we first played them. But then again, why in the world would I not expect him to get his facts straight...Half the time Bama lives and feeds off of opinions and their own personal perceptions of themselves anyway...I hate Alabama homers.

Bo, it was the prediction of Shula's 5th NC that was the kicker. Whowould even try and predict anything like that.

kool-aid.jpg

183298[/snapback]

I knew that's what you were talking about. That's why I only argued with the who would replace Shula part. ;)

Frankly, I hope their team reads all of that and buys into every word. Let them get as over confident as they want. It'll just be that much more painful when the Gators, the Volunteers, the faux-Tigers of Red Stick, and the real Tigers of Auburn bring them harshly back to reality.

along with ARKY.

183399[/snapback]

I had a notoriously accurate prognosticator say the same thing.

Anyone remember the 01 :ua: @ :au: game? They gave up 560 yds passing to LSU the week before and then slaughtered us. Could the same happen to :arky: @ :ua: ?

Archived