What was Shula thinking???????

SouthLink02

Up 31-3 with 9 minutes left...he could have punted or tried a FG....yet he tries a bomb pass and now losses their best player for the year....or at least it sure looks like it from the replays....

Tyrone Protho is unbelievable....great kid, great player today.

Why did Shula do that?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had turned it off...please tell me what happened.

is he for real out for the year EC? please say your'e joking. that kid is a joy to watch.

what was the final, btw?

That is going to sting their offense a little. I don't think it will severly hamper the offense however. I saw a couple of other WRs for bama that could get the job done. But, man, that Protho sure is exciting to watch.

They still have a good running game in Darby also, so I think the O for bama will be okay.

That is going to sting their offense a little. I don't think it will severly hamper the offense however. I saw a couple of other WRs for bama that could get the job done. But, man, that Protho sure is exciting to watch.

They still have a good running game in Darby also, so I think the O for bama will be okay.

185383[/snapback]

It's not going to hurt in the offense as bad as in the return game and on the sidelines. Pro is our leader in the wr department. This really hurts, but we get a week off to figure out how to "attempt" to replace him. My prayers are with Pro tonight. 99% chance he's done for the year, I just hope it doesn't stay with him the rest of his life. :(

Didn't see what happened.  Someone explain.

185386[/snapback]

Late in the game up 31-3, bama called a timeout and decided to go for it on 4th and 5. Maybe on the 35 yard line. Pro went up for the catch in the endzone and came down wrong on his ankle and broke it.

It wasn't his ankle, it was about 5 inches up from there. I didn't take anatomy so I'd just say is was just below the shin and it was broken clean. It was dangling after the play. :puke:

It wasn't his ankle, it was about 5 inches up from there.  I didn't take anatomy so I'd just say is was just below the shin and it was broken clean.  It was dangling after the play.  :puke:

185399[/snapback]

That's what I seen too, but all reports so far are saying broken ankle. Those reports have not been confirmed yet, so it may not be his angle. Just going by what was said.

Edit in- ESPN is reporting broken leg.

I get their idea that keeping the starters in to run down time is the smart move...but what was the bomb supposed to accomplish? Was Shula's intent to score more?

With the way Alabama's D was playing...punt the ball and pin them within their 20...or hell, go for the FG....

I just don't see why in heaven's name you would throw a bomb in that situation....

It was a completely stupid move that for the 2nd straight season will cost Alabama quite a bit...as I think Protho was making a case for SEC POY with his performance today.

Alabama with Protho was moving into easily my #1 team in the SEC. Great performance all around.

I get their idea that keeping the starters in to run down time is the smart move...but what was the bomb supposed to accomplish? Was Shula's intent to score more?

With the way Alabama's D was playing...punt the ball and pin them within their 20...or hell, go for the FG....

I just don't see why in heaven's name you would throw a bomb in that situation....

It was a completely stupid move that for the 2nd straight season will cost Alabama quite a bit...as I think Protho was making a case for SEC POY with his performance today.

Alabama with Protho was moving into easily my #1 team in the SEC. Great performance all around.

185405[/snapback]

The play was not intended for Pro in the endzone. If you watch the play again, Brodie was looking down the middle of the field. I'm guessing that's where the play was going. Once Brodie looked off his first two options and scrambled out of the pocket, he saw that Pro had beat his man and made the throw. If Pro comes down with the catch and doesn't get hurt, nothing is said of this play.

Secondly, there was a little over 9 minutes left in the game and we had only scored once in the second half, which was the opening drive. I don't see the problem with going for it. I would have preferred the punt, but like I said, it looked like the play was set up for a short pass over the middle.

The play was not intended for Pro in the endzone.  If you watch the play again, Brodie was looking down the middle of the field.  I'm guessing that's where the play was going.  Once Brodie looked off his first two options and scrambled out of the pocket, he saw that Pro had beat his man and made the throw.  If Pro comes down with the catch and doesn't get hurt, nothing is said of this play.

Of course, but he broke his leg and is out for the year.....a severe consequence for an incredibly stupid play, imo.

Secondly, there was a little over 9 minutes left in the game and we had only scored once in the second half, which was the opening drive.

Your defense was OWNING Leak and the WR's the entire game. Pinning them to the 20 or closer with 9 minutes was not going to put Bama remotely close to losing the game.

185405[/snapback]

The play was not intended for Pro in the endzone. If you watch the play again, Brodie was looking down the middle of the field. I'm guessing that's where the play was going. Once Brodie looked off his first two options and scrambled out of the pocket, he saw that Pro had beat his man and made the throw. If Pro comes down with the catch and doesn't get hurt, nothing is said of this play.

Secondly, there was a little over 9 minutes left in the game and we had only scored once in the second half, which was the opening drive. I don't see the problem with going for it. I would have preferred the punt, but like I said, it looked like the play was set up for a short pass over the middle.

185406[/snapback]

my thoughts exactly!! You know, they were saying the same thing on TV too. If he doesn't get hurt, all you hear is praise for his great play and for Schula putting it totally out of reach for UF. However, he leaves him in against the #5 team in the country, who could have feasibly come back to make it close, and all we hear are negative comments. However, how many times do you see WR pulled from games?? You see QB's get pulled, and RB's get pulled, but normally WR's stay in the game.

This is nothing like last year's game where Croyle got hurt!! That was prob a stupid move on Shula's part last year, seeing as to who our opponent was. However, this year, it was against a top five team, was an emotionally charged game as we were seeking our first big win ever in BDS, and, as Tide24 said above, the play wasn't intended for PROthro...

The way i've seen it over and over again is Croyle was looking for the slant route across the middle, but when the other two WR were covered, he threw it up to PROthro bc he'd beaten his man... That is a play i think any QB would make. You've got your biggest playmaker man on man and he's beaten the defender, you throw it to him. It's confidence in your WR's. Something we haven't had in a while... We were hitting on all cylinders, so he went for it.

Ya'll talk about it how you want, but i don't see it as a dumb decision. Maybe it's because i'm just "an ignorant redneck BAMMER boob" though. Nah, that's not it, it's because I've just seen Schula outcoach Meyer, and our team prove that we're back, at least for this year. NO negatives i can think of from the game (except for the injury of course). Now maybe the players get a lil respect they have earned.

MY PRAYERS ARE WITH PROTHRO, AND I WISH HIM A SPEEDY RECOVERY!!!!!!!!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

p.s. How you naysayers want your crow? Fried, grilled, or barbecued? What about your GATOR? ROLL TIDE

The play was not intended for Pro in the endzone.  If you watch the play again, Brodie was looking down the middle of the field.  I'm guessing that's where the play was going.  Once Brodie looked off his first two options and scrambled out of the pocket, he saw that Pro had beat his man and made the throw.  If Pro comes down with the catch and doesn't get hurt, nothing is said of this play.

Of course, but he broke his leg and is out for the year.....a severe consequence for an incredibly stupid play, imo.

Secondly, there was a little over 9 minutes left in the game and we had only scored once in the second half, which was the opening drive.

Your defense was OWNING Leak and the WR's the entire game. Pinning them to the 20 or closer with 9 minutes was not going to put Bama remotely close to losing the game.

185409[/snapback]

forget it, there is no use trying to talk to people like this... Naysayers will be naysayers... screw them... they're just looking for an excuse to bash Schula, and making a poor effort at it...

Damn, some people can't stand to see certain people do well for themselves!

Where am I bashing Shula? It was a stupid play. Mark Richt has made tons of them...

Are you just too insensitive to hear non-praise of Shula?

BTW, what "praise" would Shula have gotten for that play? The game was over....if Alabama scores....who "praises" Shula and for what? Running up the score?

People would have praised Shula for that type of play when up by 2 points...not up by 28 with 9 minutes left and a defense OWNING the other team.

Where am I bashing Shula? It was a stupid play. Mark Richt has made tons of them...

BTW, what "praise" would Shula have gotten for that play? The game was over....if Alabama scores....who "praises" Shula and for what? Running up the score?

People would have praised Shula for that type of play when up by 2 points...not up by 28 with 9 minutes left and a defense OWNING the other team.

185413[/snapback]

I've already gone on record as saying I would have liked the punt, but I'm not the coach. One thing I will point out is this. If Brodie doesn't fall while throwing and hits Pro in stride, we wouldn't be talking about this right now. AU was up 41-0, but left the first string in for one more touchdown. Does anyone care?? No. If a starter had been hurt while trying to make it 48-0, certain people would be calling out TT right now. Funny how that works, isn't it?

185413[/snapback]

I wasn't talking about praise for Schula, i was talking about praise for PROthro for making another great catch... and your title of this article lends to Schula bashing...

AU was up 41-0, but left the first string in for one more touchdown.  Does anyone care?? 

Are they throwing 40 yards passes on 4th down?

AU was up 41-0, but left the first string in for one more touchdown.  Does anyone care?? 

185418[/snapback]

are they playing the #5 team in the country??? a team with UF's talent? NO! they are playing an unranked team without a conference win so far...

By the way, that isn't meant to be negative at all about AU... i congratulate you on the thorough thrashing y'all are laying on USC... screw Spurrier... i am trying to make a point to 'Link only with that statement

185418[/snapback]

A player can get hurt on any down in any series. Not just 40 yard passes on 4th down. The fact is, AU was up by 41 points and starters were still in. If a player would have gotten hurt, the thread would be entitled, "What was TT thinking?". This is not a ps2 game and Shula wasn't hitting the "O" button to bomb it to Pro. Brodie made his checks(which were the middle of the field), saw Pro beat his man and made the pass. There are many many plays in which wrs run deep routes to pull the SS/FS out of the middle of the field.

Southlink, this isn't meant as a flame, but if you'd like to continue the discussion I'd be happy to do it on Rolltidebama.com. Not trying to gang up on you or nothing, but I'm not going to post anymore about this on an AU board.

The actually point of the thread wasn't to flame Shula. It was to understand why in god's name a coach would call a play like that...at that time. If everyone else agrees that it was smart, hell....tack that on as reason #4,304,404 I am not coaching football of any type.

As I sat watching the game today, I kept asking myself...."Why can't we (UGA) do that against UF?"

As I saw watching the game last weekend, I kept asking myself..."Why can't we (UGA) do that against USC?"

Kudos to Alabama and Shula, they are the best team right now in the SEC and Shula had a completely great win over a very good UF team.

But that play sucked.

The actually point of the thread wasn't to flame Shula. It was to understand why in god's name a coach would call a play like that...at that time. If everyone else agrees that it was smart, hell....tack that on as reason #4,304,404 I am not coaching football of any type.

As I sat watching the game today, I kept asking myself...."Why can't we (UGA) do that against UF?"

As I saw watching the game last weekend, I kept asking myself..."Why can't we (UGA) do that against USC?"

Kudos to Alabama and Shula, they are the best team right now in the SEC and Shula had a completely great win over a very good UF team.

But that play sucked.

185422[/snapback]

Thanks, and my responses weren't meant as a flame to you either B) . I just getting a lil short tempered, because even in a BIG win, Schula still getting slammed, and not just here... just once, just once, i'd like to see him get a lil credit...

also, i do KNOW this ain't the place to look for it, among AU fans... :poke::moon::big:

Archived