What was Shula thinking???????

SouthLink02

Guest Tigrinum Major

Though I might be the lone dissenting voice from the AU side of this thing, I'll put my two cents in. The argument about keeping the Alabama starters and the Auburn starters in the game and who should have and who shouldn't have is moot. Two different circumstances. Cox had missed the previous game and we have a week off. He needed work, even against a team weaker than Western Kentucky.

The only problem I had with going for it on 4th down was the shakiness of the Tide's field goal kicker and his ability to make a 44-45 yarder. I would rather find out now than when the game was on the line if he was capable of making one from that distance. Other than that, I think that it was Shula's decision to make concerning having the starters in. There was 12 minutes to go when that drive started. There was 9 when it ended. In a high school game on Friday night, I saw 29 points scored in about 6 minutes, so I know Florida is capable of doing the same thing.

Personally, I wish that Prothro hadn't gotten hurt (prayers to a full recovery and a long career in the NFL for that young man) and had caught the ball so we could talk about how little class that Shula had for running up the score. :poke:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where am I bashing Shula? It was a stupid play. Mark Richt has made tons of them...

Are you just too insensitive to hear non-praise of Shula?

BTW, what "praise" would Shula have gotten for that play? The game was over....if Alabama scores....who "praises" Shula and for what? Running up the score?

People would have praised Shula for that type of play when up by 2 points...not up by 28 with 9 minutes left and a defense OWNING the other team.

185413[/snapback]

I wasn't talking about praise for Schula , i was talking about praise for PROthro for making another great catch... and your title of this article lends to Schula bashing...

185417[/snapback]

At least we can spell our head coaches name right!!!!!!!! :roflol:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Because there was 9 mins left in the game and we blew a 21 pt 4th Q lead against Arkansas not long ago.

Just saw Quentin Groves and Stanley in on a play up 48-0 in the 4th. Nice!

185597[/snapback]

Stanley had played one play in two weeks. He needed work. The defense as a whole wanted a shutout. There were plenty of subs in the game.

This kind of argument is senseless is you don't consider all the circumstances.

By the way, McClover is a backup.

Thanks for playing, try again next week.

Where are the condescending threads about Tubb's decision to leave Cox in so long? Wasn't he in when AU was up by 40...? "Well he didn't get hurt!" You can't have your cake and eat it too guys. Hindsight will ALWAYS be 20/20.

185697[/snapback]

Why don't bammer fans actually read posts?

Streyeder please go back and read this whole thread again. There have been several comments about how our starters should have been pulled earlier. I'll say it now, Tubbs should have pulled our starters earlier! The reason there aren't threads started over it was because we were lucky andd no one got hurt. You better believe if Cox, Irons, or our main receivers got hurt there would be many threads stating how dumb it was.

185784[/snapback]

Thanks for pointing this out YET AGAIN, good god it seems like every thread bammers are going on the defensive and forgetting to READ the article before responding.

185790[/snapback]

I was responding to SL, not to the rest of the posters. If I were responding to the other posters I'd have quoted them. :rolleyes:

185803[/snapback]

Sorry I didn't realize that all post that aren't directly quoted on this board are directed to SL. My bad. :rolleyes:

Weighing in without looking at anybody's post, but slinky's, I have to say that this is just a bad injury for the tide, nobody's at fault (I have a baaaaaaad feeling that I'm agreeing with BG on this one).

TP could have broken his leg at any point in the game, coaching is not the reason TP broke his leg. If it were, that would be like saying dont get out of bed.....you might trip over something in the floor and kill yourself. I think the whole Shula is to blame is BS. Yea, a punt would have been the better call.......but I really think that play was suppost to be a "saftey" play to a tight end or something. If you noticed, TP broke and was open..........total fluke about the leg. NO!! SHULA IS NOT TO BLAME.

185477[/snapback]

That argument makes no sense with the context of the injury to Protho. Yes, injuries do happen at any point of the game. But you are missing the point of the argument. An injury to a star player should not happen when you are up 31-3 with 9 minutes left in a game. That injury should not happen because that star player should not be in the game at that time. If the injury happens at the beginning of the game or when the game is still close, then that is a totally different matter, because those are the times when the starters should be in the game. I don't understand your statement that "TP could have broken his leg at any point" as to the context of the issue at hand. I could break my leg at any time, but if I break it while climbing a tree for no good reason, then if I would not have been climbing that tree, then I would not have broken my leg at that time. Basically, I should not have been climbing that tree unless I had a good reason. TP should not have been in that game at that time unless there was a good reason. Can anybody think of a good reason? Heck, I was screaming for our starters to be out of the game when they were still in it!

185494[/snapback]

All im saying is, TP could have gotten hurt reguardless of the score....blah blah blah.

I dont think Shula should ahve taken him out, I dont blame him at all. That is stupid to blame a coach for a freak injury. Something he cant control.

185552[/snapback]

ECE, what do you not understand??? Yes, it is a freak bizarre injury, that would not have happened if Shula does one of following:

1. Doesn't have starters, i.e. big playmakers in the game

2. Kicks a field goal on the 4th down

3. Punts on fourth down.

That is the POINT!!! Yes it could have happend 5 seconds into the game, BUT it happened on a 4th down pass to thier biggest offensive weapon into the endzone when bama was up by 28 with 9 min left in the game. It is going to be hurtful for bama. That takes away a lot of their big play capabilities on O and especially on kick returns!! Bama will still be good and compete WITH US for the SEC west, but it will hurt. Be anxious to see who will step it up for them!!

Your exactly right, Cox was in for the first two plays, one pass/one run to finish off the drive that he started.

The next Auburn possession, if he was still in, was 3 straight hand offs to Stewart who has fallen to third on the depth chart regardless of yardage.

After that its Field under center, Smith in the backfield, and Perry, Rodriguiz, Guess and Swinton making the receptions.

I was gonna say that with Texas/USC being written in and having to lose for anyone to jump them (ie. OU/USC last year, look what the high road got Auburn) that you really can't blame Shula for taking the extra against Florida in case they are still undefeated down the road. Its a fault in the voting system.

But after reading the Bama remarks in several threads, I'll just say Shula is stupid and that Alabama and its fans can go to hell.

Grats on the win, I was wrong and gave UF's defense too much credit. Bama did prove one thing I thought, that Urban Myers offense's would struggle against SEC defenses due to the speed. Tenn showed how to frustrate them and Kines did a good job building off of what Tenn exposed.

So, once again, UT "schooled" uat? I'll buy that. :D

What Shula was thinking, "Now with Prothro hurt, If we lose to Tennesse or AU then we can use the tried and true excuse of, If Prothro was healthy then you would have lost." For further reference see the "Iron Bowl 2003 and 2004", and "Brodie Croyle".

AWK, be very careful. You are starting to think like a uater. :)

Where are the condescending threads about Tubb's decision to leave Cox in so long? Wasn't he in when AU was up by 40...? "Well he didn't get hurt!" You can't have your cake and eat it too guys. Hindsight will ALWAYS be 20/20.

185697[/snapback]

Streyeder please go back and read this whole thread again. There have been several comments about how our starters should have been pulled earlier. I'll say it now, Tubbs should have pulled our starters earlier! The reason there aren't threads started over it was because we were lucky andd no one got hurt. You better believe if Cox, Irons, or our main receivers got hurt there would be many threads stating how dumb it was.

185784[/snapback]

Thanks for pointing this out YET AGAIN, good god it seems like every thread bammers are going on the defensive and forgetting to READ the article before responding.

185790[/snapback]

I was responding to SL, not to the rest of the posters. If I were responding to the other posters I'd have quoted them. :rolleyes:

185803[/snapback]

Sorry I didn't realize that all post that aren't directly quoted on this board are directed to SL. My bad. :rolleyes:

185848[/snapback]

How dare you think that he was speaking to anyone else. :rolleyes::roflol:

Personally, I am offended by this entire post.

"What was flipper thinking?" :rolleyes:

Indeed :blink:

#1 Who said flipper was capable of thinking?

#2 Prove it!

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

TP could have broken his leg at any point in the game, coaching is not the reason TP broke his leg. If it were, that would be like saying dont get out of bed.....you might trip over something in the floor and kill yourself. I think the whole Shula is to blame is BS. Yea, a punt would have been the better call.......but I really think that play was suppost to be a "saftey" play to a tight end or something. If you noticed, TP broke and was open..........total fluke about the leg. NO!! SHULA IS NOT TO BLAME.

185477[/snapback]

That argument makes no sense with the context of the injury to Protho. Yes, injuries do happen at any point of the game. But you are missing the point of the argument. An injury to a star player should not happen when you are up 31-3 with 9 minutes left in a game. That injury should not happen because that star player should not be in the game at that time. If the injury happens at the beginning of the game or when the game is still close, then that is a totally different matter, because those are the times when the starters should be in the game. I don't understand your statement that "TP could have broken his leg at any point" as to the context of the issue at hand. I could break my leg at any time, but if I break it while climbing a tree for no good reason, then if I would not have been climbing that tree, then I would not have broken my leg at that time. Basically, I should not have been climbing that tree unless I had a good reason. TP should not have been in that game at that time unless there was a good reason. Can anybody think of a good reason? Heck, I was screaming for our starters to be out of the game when they were still in it!

185494[/snapback]

All im saying is, TP could have gotten hurt reguardless of the score....blah blah blah.

I dont think Shula should ahve taken him out, I dont blame him at all. That is stupid to blame a coach for a freak injury. Something he cant control.

185552[/snapback]

ECE, what do you not understand??? Yes, it is a freak bizarre injury, that would not have happened if Shula does one of following:

3. Punts on fourth down.

That is the POINT!!! Yes it could have happend 5 seconds into the game, BUT it happened on a 4th down pass to thier biggest offensive weapon into the endzone when bama was up by 28 with 9 min left in the game. It is going to be hurtful for bama. That takes away a lot of their big play capabilities on O and especially on kick returns!! Bama will still be good and compete WITH US for the SEC west, but it will hurt. Be anxious to see who will step it up for them!!

185851[/snapback]

You do realize that CTT had his starters in late in the 4th and was throwing the ball.

Yea, the play call was stupid. But taking out his starters wasnt....bottom line......

185477[/snapback]

185494[/snapback]

185552[/snapback]

3. Punts on fourth down.

185851[/snapback]

You do realize that CTT had his starters in late in the 4th and was throwing the ball.

CTT had his starters in LATE in the 4th quarter? :blink:

What game were you watching? Blake Field went into the SC (signature win) game with over ten minutes left in the fourth. If having your second string qb throw a pass is a crime, well, of that CTT is guilty! :D

I thinks it's funny how all of the AL fans were jumping on Shula last year for leaving Croyle in and getting hurt and NOW that they've actually beaten a ranked team, it's ya'll leave Shula alone...those kids were just having fun.....I personally don't care but you have to admit it's a little hypocritical....and deep down you all have to admit it was dumb on 4th and 5...

If the rolls were reversed and it was :ut: or :lsu: or :uga: ...the other coach would have been called classless because Coach Bryant didn't do that sort of thang....but now it's just kids having fun...WHATEVER.....jsut call it like it is....Like I said I really don't care....but at least be honest about it....Does anyone really believe Florida could have staged a come back?...PLEASE they were looking for the bus...the just had their :moon: wooped by more than they thought possible and that crappy offense of Meyers didn't have a chance....

I personally don't care but you have to admit it's a little hypocritical....and deep down you all have to admit it was dumb on 4th and 5...

If the rolls were reversed and it was  :ut:   or  :lsu:   or  :uga: ...the other coach would have been called classless

186135[/snapback]

I totally agree with this.

but now it's just kids having fun...WHATEVER.....jsut call it like it is

Good luck with that....for some reason, the obvious wont stand out to some.

185697[/snapback]

185784[/snapback]

185790[/snapback]

185803[/snapback]

185848[/snapback]

185954[/snapback]

Yea, God forbid I be replying to the THREAD STARTER. :rolleyes: Common sense guys, it helps out in other aspects of your life too. ;)

185697[/snapback]

185784[/snapback]

185790[/snapback]

185803[/snapback]

185848[/snapback]

185954[/snapback]

Yea, God forbid I be replying to the THREAD STARTER. :rolleyes: Common sense guys, it helps out in other aspects of your life too. ;)

186163[/snapback]

They also have email, PM, or a phone for private communication. Or you could quote the person or write "This is in response to ________'s post and only ________ can respond to it". Public message board with many posters, yeah, thats not common sense. Common sense would be to refrence who you are speaking to, even though you were completely incorrect in you assumption in your origianl post. Kind of like we are doing now. Hmm imagine that. Stop being a bammer, it helps out in other aspects of your life too. ;)

185697[/snapback]

185784[/snapback]

185790[/snapback]

185803[/snapback]

185848[/snapback]

How dare you think that he was speaking to anyone else.

185954[/snapback]

186163[/snapback]

They also have email, PM, or a phone for private communication. Or you could quote the person or write "This is in response to ________'s post and only ________ can respond to it". Public message board with many posters, yeah, thats not common sense. Common sense would be to refrence who you are speaking to, even though you were completely incorrect in you assumption in your origianl post. Kind of like we are doing now. Hmm imagine that. Stop being a bammer, it helps out in other aspects of your life too. ;)

186203[/snapback]

:yes: So that’s how this common sense thing work apparently I had no idea. :lol:

Archived