Defensing Alabama

aunavy

:) Given Prothro is history how does a defensive coordinator defend Bama. I say attack. Put your best lock down corner on the Brown; double the other side and put 8 in the box to stop Darby. Fire the ends on every play and hit Croyle on every down. He will come apart like a $2 watch.

Come on Navy. You know that brodie Heisman can run a 4.2 and can't possibly be caught by any mortal. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

p.s. I like the way you think. I am certain that fat phil -les miles-Tommy Tuberville already have that exact game plan in mind. :D

8 in the box = 1 Safety and press man coverage. Good luck with that.

DJ Hall, Keith Brown, and Zeke Knight are all 6-3/6-4 and can flat out fly.

Dont forget, our Fullback had 40 yds receiving last week. And we have good TEs but havent had to throw to them yet.

Zone blitz, i think, is the better option. You dont over commit on play action with it, and you force the QB to find holes quickly underneath and across the middle. Given KB's recent showing of having alligator arms across the middle, id say that would be your best bet.

Dont forget, our Fullback had 40 yds receiving last week. And we have good TEs but havent had to throw to them yet.

Zone blitz, i think, is the better option. You dont over commit on play action with it, and you force the QB to find holes quickly underneath and across the middle. Given KB's recent showing of having alligator arms across the middle, id say that would be your best bet.

186132[/snapback]

WOW, you're right! Unfortunately, Mike Shula doesn't know how to coach like that, too bad! :poke::big:

I think you will see teams play their base defense initially and see what happens. From the outside looking in, I would think most defensive coordinators geared a good bit of what they did around a triple threat like Pro. I know I'd have someone shadowing him every step.

Without him in the lineup, some of the options for Bama are eliminated, like lining Pro up at QB a few plays every game. I imagine there's a little sigh of relief not having to plan for what he does.

Bama is well balanced at this point with a solid backfield and good receivers. I think you have to play your base package and not overplay one or the other.

I know all the above because I coached my son's T-Ball team this year. :P

While the defensive schemes are very important, uat has good team chemistry and desire. Equally they believe they can win. These guys have been down for a long time and they want to win....and they want it badly....

I'm concerned that the loss of Prothro will bring their team closer together and will increase their determination and desire.

The question could arise as to whether the AU team has an equal amount of dedication, desire and confidence. In a couple of weeks, we will begin to know....

Guest Tigrinum Major

The loss of Prothro does not hurt Bama in the passing game. It hurts them a little in the alternate look of lining him up at QB and having him just get the ball and run. Like esquire says, DC will not have to scheme for the gimmick plays that he brought to the offense, UNLESS they move Jimmie Johns into the "Slash" position, which is a possibility based on his background and athletic ability.

His injury will be felt the most in the return game. There is no one else that will compare to him in that regard, so don't try to tell me that someone else is "just as good or better" than Prothro at returning punts/kickoffs, Bama Guys. If there was someone better, he would be out there before the break.

I don't think they will miss him as far as leadership. I suspect he will still be on the practice field and the sideline during the bigger games. They have a strong senior class that will take up the slack in the huddle.

fish, why would the question arise about Auburn's dedication and desire? Has that been a problem to this point? Just curious why that shot is taken in a thread about defensing Alabama post Pro.

While the defensive schemes are very important, uat has good team chemistry and desire.  Equally they believe they can win.  These guys have been down for a long time and they want to win....and they want it badly....

I'm concerned that the loss of Prothro will  bring their team closer together and will increase their determination and desire. 

The question could arise as to whether the AU team has an equal amount of dedication, desire and confidence.  In a couple of weeks, we will begin to know....

186165[/snapback]

Does Auburn have anything, Saturday night the players came out linked arm and arm for the first time this season. Things are building.

The loss of Prothro could also cause them to revert to the here we go again we are cursed mentality also. He was the leader of their young WR group, think his loss will be felt more than people realize.

Bama wideouts are average, no one in that group warrants a double team. They drop way too many balls. I don't want to give brodie any credit but his numbers would be much better this year had there not been so many drops. Prothro was without a doubt their biggest playmaker and losing him will allow defenses to tighten up on their coverage and take more chances on blitzes. I'm not bashing the dumbos, they have a really good team this year, its just wideout isn't their strongpoint.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Bama wideouts are average, no one in that group warrants a double team.  They drop way too many balls.  I don't want to give brodie any credit but his numbers would be much better this year had there not been so many drops.  Prothro was without a doubt their biggest playmaker and losing him will allow defenses to tighten up on their coverage and take more chances on blitzes.  I'm not bashing the dumbos, they have a really good team this year, its just wideout isn't their strongpoint.

186178[/snapback]

Disagree. They do drop balls and they are young, but they can fly and they are big and strong. Brown, Hall and Knight are all studs that are not at Prothro's level, but they all have big play capability. I think every one of them have some long TDs to their credit to go with those drops.

Would I trade them for our seniors and juniors? No. Do I think they are suddenly a liability without Prothro? An emphatic no.

fast doesn't always mean stardom, Tim Carter was an exceptionally fast reciever for us but did he draw double teams and give defensive coordinators nightmares (i've heard rumors that he didn't try very hard from former players)? I agree they aren't a sudden liability, but they definitely are not a strong point for that offense, if darby can't run then they won't win.

Bama wideouts are average, no one in that group warrants a double team.  They drop way too many balls.  I don't want to give brodie any credit but his numbers would be much better this year had there not been so many drops.  Prothro was without a doubt their biggest playmaker and losing him will allow defenses to tighten up on their coverage and take more chances on blitzes.  I'm not bashing the dumbos, they have a really good team this year, its just wideout isn't their strongpoint.

186178[/snapback]

his numbers are just fine right now, considering our BC has a better QB rating than your BC right now... :poke::moon:

therefore, does that make your WR's average? I think not... Basically, we can look at it like this (or at least i do) Prothro, as a receiver, was like Courtney Taylor for y'all. Great receiver, came up with big catches, but there are others y'all have who can, and have, stepped up to make the catches Cox needs them to make. Brown, Hall, and Knight for us have all proven to be good, capable receivers (except maybe Brown across the middle ;) ). I think our passing game will be just fine.

His injury will be felt the most in the return game. There is no one else that will compare to him in that regard, so don't try to tell me that someone else is "just as good or better" than Prothro at returning punts/kickoffs, Bama Guys. If there was someone better, he would be out there before the break.

No, TM, there is no one "as good" as him, considering every time he touches the ball on a PT or KR, he presents the threat of returning it all the way. However, we have a pretty good backup in Brandon Brooks, who you will remember did pretty well as a starting PT, KR last year, till he got a bad case of butterfingers. He's quick, real quick, and when he steps up and actually catches the ball, he'll be good. He'll play next week in this regard, and until i see what he does this year, i won't give him much cred, nor will i take anything away from him. :);)

his numbers are just fine right now, considering our BC has a better QB rating than your BC right now...  :poke:   :moon:  

by the way, here is the stats to back myself up... just so i'm not being a "homer"

1. D. Shockley Georgia 165.94

2. B. Croyle Alabama 154.78

3. B. Mitchell S Carolina 151.42

4. C. Leak Florida 149.35

5. B. Cox Auburn 146.76

Complete Leaders

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?s...ar=2005&group=8

his numbers are just fine right now, considering our BC has a better QB rating than your BC right now...  :poke:   :moon:  

by the way, here is the stats to back myself up... just so i'm not being a "homer"

1. D. Shockley Georgia 165.94

2. B. Croyle Alabama 154.78

3. B. Mitchell S Carolina 151.42

4. C. Leak Florida 149.35

5. B. Cox Auburn 146.76

Complete Leaders

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?s...ar=2005&group=8

186185[/snapback]

where in my post did i say brodie's numbers were bad, he's having an excellent year, you bammers sure do get touchy when we mention vanilla vick. All i was saying was that the strength of bama's offense is not the wideouts, they are young and they drop too many balls.

Speaking of statistics...

Can anyone easily lay their hands on Prothro's production numbers to date? That is, what were his rushing, receiving and return yards for the season prior to the injury?

I'm sure some of the other guys will step up to make up for some of it, but there's really no one just like him and I'm curious as to his specific production at each area. Just how much offensive production is Bama going to have to make up in his absence?

186132[/snapback]

and our corners are about 6 inches taller than :uf: 's, not to mention a safety that is 6'5"......... :uf: did not match up well with bammer and anybody that understands :football: knew that ( :uf: 's defense doesn't match up well against anybody in the :sec: except for Ainge). Bammer will play at least three teams in the coming weeks that can match up on the outside and those teams are probably stronger than bammer up the middle.

I know that I will enjoy watching those games!

WDE

Brown, Hall, and Knight for us have all proven to be good, capable receivers (except maybe Brown across the middle ;) ).  I think our passing game will be just fine.

here are some more stats...

1. Chad Jackson, Florida 40 451 11.3 80 6

2. Erik Davis, Vanderbilt 35 445 12.7 40 2

3. Tyrone Prothro, Alabama 17 325 19.1 87 3

4. Sidney Rice, S Carolina 18 298 16.6 45 4

5. Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt 25 278 11.1 28 0

6. Dallas Baker, Florida 22 277 12.6 42 1

7. Keith Brown, Alabama 11 269 24.5 65 3

8. Dustin Dunning, Vanderbilt 18 238 13.2 38 0

9. Mario Hill, Ole Miss 14 238 17.0 38 1

10. D.J. Hall, Alabama 12 231 19.3 47 3

as you can see, Brown and Hall are both in the top ten receivers in the SEC right now... neither has as many catches or as many yards as PRO, but both have more yards per completion. So, i think we'll be all right going to either one of these guys... or Knight, once he steps up and plays a lil more...

Can anyone easily lay their hands on Prothro's production numbers to date?  That is, what were his rushing, receiving and return yards for the season prior to the injury?

I'm sure some of the other guys will step up to make up for some of it, but there's really no one just like him and I'm curious as to his specific production at each area.  Just how much offensive production is Bama going to have to make up in his absence?

186188[/snapback]

check out the stats page on ESPN.com, and you'll find most of what you are looking for... i listed his Receiving production just above here...

Can anyone easily lay their hands on Prothro's production numbers to date?  That is, what were his rushing, receiving and return yards for the season prior to the injury?

I'm sure some of the other guys will step up to make up for some of it, but there's really no one just like him and I'm curious as to his specific production at each area.  Just how much offensive production is Bama going to have to make up in his absence?

186188[/snapback]

rushing 26. Tyrone Prothro, Alabama 9 92 10.2 41 0

186188[/snapback]

rushing 26. Tyrone Prothro, Alabama 9 92 10.2 41 0

186193[/snapback]

Your so swell...you know...how you niddly diddly from stat to stat on this thread, rubbing it in our faces :thumbsdown::lol:

For arguments sake, Cox has missed one game...so whatever that does for anything.

Any bama fan can admit, before the Florida game...Bama had some shakey times with Arkansas & Southern Miss. I believe bama just came out to play with Florida...and Leak just was not there at all.

Bama will not win every game in the same fashion. You just dont go from almost losing to Arkansas and Southern Miss, to blowing out every team on the schedule. The loss of Prothro will hurt bama....maybe not by much, but the explosion will lack luster because of this loss.

I believe bama is a good team, but I also believe they shouldnt get too cocky in the SEC. As noted on other boards, not just this one, every team in the SEC is VERY beatable. One awesome performance could lead to a shakey one.....no team in this conference is a powerhouse this year.

I believe bama is a good team, but I also believe they shouldnt get too cocky in the SEC.  As noted on other boards, not just this one, every team in the SEC is VERY beatable.  One awesome performance could lead to a shakey one.....no team in this conference is a powerhouse this year.

186194[/snapback]

Let them get as cocky as they like, it makes it that much funnier when they lose, then lose again and again. Then we will hear all about how “if” they had prothro they would have won.

Archived