Unbelievable!!

Donutboy

These are the people that we gave huge tax breaks to create jobs? Not if they can fire 1000 employees and then spend $1 million on Super Bowl tickets.

Fire 1000 employees and then spend millions on Super Bowl tickets!!

First of all, you do realize that $1 million would only have kept 25 people on making $40,000 for one year. Layoffs, while not something that companies like to do, are something that affect long term planning, not a one-shot deal like this. If they laid off 1000 people (out of workforce of over 34,000), that amounts to $1000 per person.

Second, companies frequently do things like this in the community to their home city in various ways. In fact, gestures like this can take pressure off of local communities who are trying to get events like a Super Bowl to showcase their city for business and tourism, or it can keep taxpayers from footing the bill in some situations because corporate purchases or tickets, luxury suites, and so on help defray the costs of stadiums and other commitments they made in getting a team to their town or financing a new stadium.

I don't know the ins and outs of CSX. They could be the slimiest company around for all I know. But in principle, I don't see the relevance of what you're insinuating here. Layoffs happen, but the company must keep going and doing thing they feel enhance their standing in the business world and their local community.

First of all, you do realize that $1 million would only have kept 25 people on making $40,000 for one year. Layoffs, while not something that companies like to do, are something that affect long term planning, not a one-shot deal like this. If they laid off 1000 people (out of workforce of over 34,000), that amounts to $1000 per person.

Second, companies frequently do things like this in the community to their home city in various ways. In fact, gestures like this can take pressure off of local communities who are trying to get events like a Super Bowl to showcase their city for business and tourism, or it can keep taxpayers from footing the bill in some situations because corporate purchases or tickets, luxury suites, and so on help defray the costs of stadiums and other commitments they made in getting a team to their town or financing a new stadium.

I don't know the ins and outs of CSX. They could be the slimiest company around for all I know. But in principle, I don't see the relevance of what you're insinuating here. Layoffs happen, but the company must keep going and doing thing they feel enhance their standing in the business world and their local community.

Gee, wouldn't it have been a nice gesture to give those losing their jobs an extra $1000 in severance pay at a time like that instead of rewarding the CEOs who make millions a year with added perks? Nah, there is never TOO MUCH for our nation's CEOs.

Would you re-read the very article you posted before blowing more crap?

The company would use the tickets to entertain Fortune 500 clients and to reward employees

I suppose you have some sort of clairvoyant ability to predict that the employees that will be rewarded will only be the rich folks. :roll:

And frankly, since you have no idea what they gave them in severance, your argument rings hollow. It could have been a very generous severance package already. And no matter what they decided regarding the layoffs, that doesn't mean you stop spending money in other areas that benefit your business.

Geez, calm down and breath a little oxygen everynow and then.

Archived