Look How This Program Has Progressed

AUesquire

The opinions of this board are not dominated by a "select few" 7, but are widespread. Maybe the 7 in your username is telling; you expect perfection and perfection only. If that's the case, how have you remained an Auburn fan so long? Why do you spend the hundreds or thousands of dollars to go to every game?

I have been an Auburn fan my whole life. Why did I become one? Because my parents were Auburn fans (my dad attended AU for one quarter). We'd go to a few game and we'd watch or listen to the rest. The funny thing is that beyond my parents, there were no other Auburn fans in my family. Thanksgiving, Christmas, family reunions, Tuesdays, it didn't matter, the bammers in my family would berate me for being an Auburn fan. I argued a little, but when uat was winning, the arguments were futile. I hated losing and would avoid wearing anything Auburn after an Iron Bowl loss. Then after not getting the chance to play basketball in college, I went to Auburn and my loyalties went from supporting them when they were winning to supporting my alma mater that I dearly love.

Some years have been easier than others, and I hate losing now more than ever. But I refuse to sit around and pout when things are "perfect". Yeah, we made mistakes this year that cost us games, but I still love Auburn. I still love CTT (not in the way you and vatz were insinuating about each other). I can stand to have an 8-3 team on a yearly basis with the occasional SEC Championship. I believe CTT can give that to us. I don't want to see us on the coaching carousel ever 2-3 years because we lose a couple of games.

Aubie7, you are more that right to have your own opinion and you don't need my permission to have it. We'll disagree and go our separate ways but know this. We are not the Auburn Nation (in spite of the title of our forum) we are the Auburn Family. Families don't throw bricks at their family members or send them packing when the going get tough. I'm in the Auburn Family, how about you 7?

Auburn may never claim 12 MNCs like the school up the road, but that's ok with me. When I get up on Saturday mornings and smell cool, crisp air I think of one thing, Saturdays in Auburn. I miss them, win or lose. I loved getting to the stadium early and walking in to see the giant AU logo on the field. I am proud of my school, maybe too proud as one day all this stuff is going to pass away and it won't matter who won what. But while I am still breathing air on this earth I'll cheer my Tigers and accept winning as graciously as I do defeat, because my well being does not rest on winning or losing. It rests first on Jesus and second on my family and then somewhere down the line (not sure how far :) ) on the fact that I am forever connected to a university of which I am proud. Even for all its faults, when I hit the Auburn city limits, I'm home.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post Jared. Last night, I was thumbing through the media guide and looked at Shug Jordan's coaching record year by year. There were some bad times, good and great times. Overall, his program won waaayyy more than it lost. Now, his name is on the stadium. I'm all for sticking with a coach who runs his program the right way and wins with that same consistency.

Aubie7, you are more that right to have your own opinion and you don't need my permission to have it.  We'll disagree and go our separate ways but know this.  We are not the Auburn Nation (in spite of the title of our forum) we are the Auburn Family.  Families don't throw bricks at their family members or send them packing when the going get tough.  I'm in the Auburn Family, how about you 7?

Auburn may never claim 12 MNCs like the school up the road, but that's ok with me.  When I get up on Saturday mornings and smell cool, crisp air I think of one thing, Saturdays in Auburn.  I miss them, win or lose.  I loved getting to the stadium early and walking in to see the giant AU logo on the field.  I am proud of my school, maybe too proud as one day all this stuff is going to pass away and it won't matter who won what.  But while I am still breathing air on this earth I'll cheer my Tigers and accept winning as graciously as I do defeat, because my well being does not rest on winning or losing.  It rests first on Jesus and second on my family and then somewhere down the line (not sure how far :) ) on the fact that I am forever connected to a university of which I am proud.  Even for all its faults, when I hit the Auburn city limits, I'm home.

192671[/snapback]

Amen & amen ... 52 you have spoken well. I'll bet the farm that you know character is NOT subjective as do most other posters in the AU Family.

Amen & amen ... 52 you have spoken well.  I'll bet the farm that you know  character is NOT subjective as do most other posters in the AU Family.

192676[/snapback]

When all else fails, people must be referred to the dictionary.

Subjective

Character

Amen & amen ... 52 you have spoken well.  I'll bet the farm that you know  character is NOT subjective as do most other posters in the AU Family.

192676[/snapback]

When all else fails, people must be referred to the dictionary.

Subjective

Character

192684[/snapback]

I must disagree the most authoritative source for information on character would, of course, be the Bible ... a reading of which reveals it to be the plumbline for character which is definitely not subjective.

"None is so blind as he who WILL NOT( not can't but WILL NOT) see."

Some "battles" are worth the effort. This is not one of them. My opinion is MY opinion. That, I can assure you, will not change. :au:

p.s. Jared, very well said. WAR :au: EAGLE ! ! !

I think that last year was more about the particular team we had at the time than the overall program, and that this year is the opposite. Sending 4 first-round picks to the NFL, then remaining competitive while breaking in a new DC & QB, and compensating for Carnell and Ronnie at RB...that to me points to an elite program. We can only go up from here. We have so many great Saturdays ahead of us that Aubie7 will have to get reeeeeal creative to stay negative!!

NEVER underestimate the ability of certain people to be negative. B)

I must disagree the most authoritative source for information on character would, of course, be the Bible ... a reading of which reveals it to be the plumbline for character which is definitely not subjective.

192694[/snapback]

The Bible may be the source of the standards you apply to character. There is nothing wrong with that, although it has nothing to do with anything I have said. For the purpose of this discussion it does not matter what your standards are, or how you arrived at them. What does matter is that they can vary by individual and by group. The standards that you choose to apply to character are what define it. When I say "standards", think "qualities".

P.S. I check my "premises" quite often. (Heck, I even make sure the doors and windows are locked each night!) :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

192661[/snapback]

No matter how vehemently we may disagree on anything, your sense of humor never fails to produce a laugh. Thank you for that.

P.S. I check my "premises" quite often. (Heck, I even make sure the doors and windows are locked each night!) :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

192661[/snapback]

No matter how vehemently we may disagree on anything, your sense of humor never fails to produce a laugh. Thank you for that.

192803[/snapback]

If I can make someone laugh, the day has been a success.(All they need do is take a look at this "mug" of mine!)

Some folks take "stuff" on this board far too serious. I LOVE my Auburn Tigers. I enjoy discusions on this board because I have found, for the most part, it's members have a ton of character.(Unlike me. I simply AM a character.) ;)

If I can make someone laugh, the day has been a success.(All they need do is take a look at this "mug" of mine!)

Some folks take "stuff" on this board far too serious. I LOVE my Auburn Tigers. I enjoy discusions on this board because I have found, for the most part, it's members have a ton of character.(Unlike me. I simply AM a character.)  ;)

192818[/snapback]

Did you not get the memo? The internets is serious business!!!

I will fax it immediately.

I would hope everyone here that flies the Auburn banner can at least agree on a love of the Tigers. I think if we all sat down around a grill on any one of those fine Saturdays, we would all have a grand time and emerge with a new respect for one another. Maybe even Aubie7.

I have lurked and posted irregularly for a long time (I remember the phpBB version of AUNation), and this is the only sports-related messageboard that I find worthy of following.

I hardly ever post on here, choosing only to lurk around and see what is going on.

But Jared's post made me want to speak up and say War Damn Eagle!

:cheer::thumbsup::au:

After reading through this whole thread and sifting through the chaff, I have to say:

AUesquire -- Nicely done, Counselor. You're right on.

jared52 -- Solid post. I would only add that if you feel that strong about AU, then you should wear your AU stuff AFTER a loss (just like I did after last Saturday.) A breakdown in the kicking game will happen from time to time.

Before the LSU/AU game, I watched UGA struggle with Arky and I also watched UT gift wrap their sure win to uat in BDS. All I have to say is that UGA & uat are in for the games of their seasons when they get the privilege to play AU this year. Poll rankings & won/loss records be damned. :au: WDE

Guest Tigrinum Major

Ditto, loggerhead. I am ashamed at myself for being part of the chaff. esquire and jared were right on track with their comments.

Just wanted to say that I have never in my 30+ years of being an Auburn fan felt better about the Auburn football program.

We are recruiting great kids and helping them become great men. Tuberville is light years better than I expected him to be. The program was in horrible shape when he took over and he has turned it completely around.

Other than bringing in great kids Tuberville has shown a great ability to find excellent coaches to put around him.

War Eagle all.

192694[/snapback]

The Bible may be the source of the standards you apply to character. There is nothing wrong with that, although it has nothing to do with anything I have said. For the purpose of this discussion it does not matter what your standards are, or how you arrived at them. What does matter is that they can vary by individual and by group. The standards that you choose to apply to character are what define it. When I say "standards", think "qualities".

192799[/snapback]

The Biblical standards of character are the only true standards by which we ALL will be judged in the end whether you choose to acknowledge them or not. Any standards that conflict with these are ultimately like betting on a dead horse to win the Kentucky Derby. I would not want ot meet my Maker with a scheme that differs with His.

You just can't argue with an idiot. Anyone that doesn't know AU could have easily won Saturday night is just that...an idiot. :angry:   :moon:

192310[/snapback]

Tigrinum said the Aubie7 fails to make the distinction between facts and opinion. Aubie7 then proceeded to make that distinction in response to your post. While I cannot be bothered to research the validity of Tigrinum's statement, Aubie7 did properly differentiate fact from opinion in your statement. Several people here (I will call no names) need to learn how to differentiate fact from opinion, and how to disagree on matters of opinion without insulting anyone. Insults give no weight to your arguments, and the only individuals they impress are fools.

Before I proceed any further, I will issue a caveat by saying that I also believe Auburn could have easily beaten LSU. I also believe that Auburn has an excellent coaching staff that recruits excellent players with equally excellent character.

"Fact: Auburn could have VERY easily won this past Saturday night."

Aubie7 was correct, that statement is indeed speculative. You (and many others) concluded that Auburn could (and even should) have beaten LSU, and you base that statement on legitimate observations. While your deduction may have facts in its basis, that does not make the deduction factual. The only fact in that statement is an indirect statement: the fact that Auburn lost to LSU.

"Fact: Auburn has a very good Coaching staff(see "Tuberville Coach of the Year'04") that has done a great job of recruiting kids with character and integrity that "get it done" on and off the field."

That statement is indeed opinion. An assessment based on subjective values is an opinion by nature. The popularity of an opinion does not cause it to become a fact.

That said, I will now respond to the spirit of this thread.

Like Esquire, I was concerned about the LSU game for the same reasons. If we lost, I was concerned about how the loss transpired. Although disappointed, I changed the channel realizing that this team is much better than I had anticipated. While I recognize that Georgia or Alabama are very capable of beating us, I consider neither to be superior. It is very possible that our losses for this season are already behind us.

192636[/snapback]

You must be a Science major, or graduate? Fact can easily be seperated from opinion, as you and I have both shown. Your open-mindedness is appreciated.

Archived