Kicking Situation

AUfan88

Speaking of kickers. Whats little Al Del Greco doing these days? ;)

192264[/snapback]

he coaches the golf team at Spain Park high school...and he used to coach the kickers for the steeldogs

1/6 is more than a bad night, thats just plain out horrible.

WarTim does make a great point though...but John Vaughn is no Tiger Woods  ;)

The coaches need to have open tryouts....not to find a fg kicker, but to put the pressure on Vaughn to perform.  If he cant perform under pressure, then we need another fg kicker period.  In the SEC, special teams are what makes or breaks a game (see LSU's special teams).

192190[/snapback]

Well, the way I see it with what little time I've been awake, a FG kicker has become a precious commodity in the SEC West, and LSU and Auburn have unfortunately shown their true stripes when it comes to this position.

With the likes of John Vaughn or Chris Jackson, Bama could very well be sporting a 5-2 record right now.

Admittedly I know very little about soccer, however I do know that soccer balls as a rule don't get more than 3 or 4 feet off the ground so that leads to very little or no chance of effects  when things like wind are in the picture.

Not that a soccer kicker couldn't get the job done but I just don't see a pure soccer kicker being able to come in and deal with the wind, like vaughn had to do. John will come back from this, NO ONE feels worse about missing those kicks than him.

192253[/snapback]

Unless of course you going for a 40 yard switch over the top to breaking winger, in North Texas or Oklahoma, or maybe up in the mountains of Colorado for example where the wind easily is blowing at 20-30 mph in the winter, and your trying to lay it into a 5 yard box with just the right amount of top spin so it continues to run so your winger doesn't break stride. As a rule doesn't get 3-4 feet off the ground? Even if you don't take it more than 4 feet off the ground wind still plays with your bends/slices, the strength used for through balls (if you want it to run or sit)

Far as those discussing could they handle the pressure why wouldn't they be? There are states and cities where soccer players play their HS ball in front of as big of crowds as this wide-out or that tailback, or some QB. Depends on the person,like the other positions they will adjust to the pressure of the SEC if they can.

What sucks about stadiums is the wind can swirl. So you make your adjustment, play for the wind and hook it out and then it 1) hits the area when the wind takes a break and thus it never comes back, 2) or it can catch the back end of the swirl and end up actually going the opposite direction 3) or the thing just gets locked up in the swirl and goes straight with a knuckle.

As for scholarship soccer players, while the money is increasing not a ton of schools have a whole lot of full scholarship soccer players and then most rosters only carry about 22 at the max (60 less than football). So landing on a top 25 program is more difficult, but most those guys on the club team could probably find a scholarship somewhere if they wanted (D-II, III). Thing is most don't need the scholarship to go to college so they say I'll just play club at the university of my choice. What I did, I wanted to play at SMU but my grad year they had like 3 slots open, so I went to a smaller school in Texas, and found out I hated college athletics, so transferred out that spring.

And alot of you HS kickers, kicking footballs cause they couldn't make/start on their soccer teams.

I did both in HS for a short while (quit FB for a travelling squad) and would say that most of the ideas in this thread are off.

John Vaughn and Kody Bliss were both very highly sought after kickers coming out of High School. John has basically been a kicker for his entire football career.

I think it was a combination of wind and, well, he just had an off night. He did very well in '04. Sometimes, well, stuff just happens.

Did anyone see Tiger Woods "attempt" to play Golf over the weekend? Here is the BEST golfer in world hitting shots that reminded me of ME!

IF we had scored more tds, there would have been no need for John to conect on FGs.

It is over. I am certain John cares more about His kicking than we do and he will get it all "figured out" with the help of his teammates and Coaches.

I am looking forward to John kicking EXTRA Points the rest of the season. I'll bet he would say the same. :D

WAR :au: EAGLE...O N E at a time.

192154[/snapback]

Well put, my friend. Some of these armchair coaches on here that seem to have never had an off day really need to take a step back and get off Vaughn's case. He had a bad night.....so did the receivers. The TEAM lost. It's over, so lets move on and hope for better things Saturday against :om: .

Archived