Kicking Situation

AUfan88

After watching the Auburn-LSU game, I believe I have a suggestion for the field goal unit. No offense to John Vaughn, but I believe the best idea to bring a good kicker in is to bring a soccer player in, possibly a foreign guy. I know that kicking a football is different than kicking a soccer ball, but I would think for someone that had been playing soccer their entire life, which is a game with scoring and passing by kicking a ball, would see kicking a ball through two posts as a much more minimal task than someone who played football and was not primarily a kicker in High Schoo and played a different position. That is my two cents, take it or leave it. Again, no offense to John Vaughn, if I had to kick a field goal in Tiger Stadium at night, I probably would lose control of my bladder and/or bowels.

But Vaughan was primarily a kicker in high school, wasn't he? I recall he had some incredible kicking stats at Brentwood. The big difference is, in high school you can use a tee.

John Vaughn and Kody Bliss were both very highly sought after kickers coming out of High School. John has basically been a kicker for his entire football career.

I think it was a combination of wind and, well, he just had an off night. He did very well in '04. Sometimes, well, stuff just happens.

Did anyone see Tiger Woods "attempt" to play Golf over the weekend? Here is the BEST golfer in world hitting shots that reminded me of ME!

IF we had scored more tds, there would have been no need for John to conect on FGs.

It is over. I am certain John cares more about His kicking than we do and he will get it all "figured out" with the help of his teammates and Coaches.

I am looking forward to John kicking EXTRA Points the rest of the season. I'll bet he would say the same. :D

WAR :au: EAGLE...O N E at a time.

After watching the Auburn-LSU game, I believe I have a suggestion for the field goal unit. No offense to John Vaughn, but I believe the best idea to bring a good kicker in is to bring  a soccer player in, possibly a foreign guy. I know that kicking a football is different than kicking a soccer ball, but I would think for someone that had been playing soccer their entire life, which is a game with scoring and passing by kicking a ball, would see kicking a ball through two posts as a much more minimal task than someone who played football and was not primarily a kicker in High Schoo and played a different position. That is my two cents, take it or leave it. Again, no offense to John Vaughn, if I had to kick a field goal in Tiger Stadium at night, I probably would lose control of my bladder and/or bowels.

Stupid move.

First off, could the soccer player handle the pressure? Doubtful...

Second, the SEC's All-Time leading football scorer is who? Billy Bennett. In 2004, he missed 3 FG's that would have without doubt won us that game at LSU.

It happens.....

First off, could the soccer player handle the pressure? Doubtful...

Are you saying that soccer players never have pressure put on them? please..thats absurd. Kicking a Penalty Kick to win the game is probally just as nerve racking as Kicking a field goal to win the game. I do agree though that a soccer player as a field goal kicker prolly wouldn't work.

Soccer players actually do make decent kickers at times (i.e. the Grammaticas). But, I don't think it's time to throw in the towel on Vaughn. He had an off night. The offensive execution, or lack thereof, and coaching decisions put him in a very difficult situation. He's in a hostile environment with a crazy wind blowing through the stadium. The kid had an off night. Today LT rushed for like six yards. I doubt you'll find a San Diego Chargers board on the net where the fans are asking why Darren Sproles or Michael Turner aren't starting. These things happen. But again, it never should've come down to that. The game should not have been on his shoulders. This loss rests firmly on the coaching staff.

Even when John Vaughn makes a field goal it usually isn't by much. I have watched him kick field goals for 3 years now and alot of his kicks just barely make it through the uprights. I sure hope he can get it turned around.

Food for thought:

If he had to kick a 35 yard field goal to beat Alabama in the last seconds of the game - how confident would you be that he would make it?

Are you saying that soccer players never have pressure put on them?

No, I am saying a soccer player at Auburn (or UGA, lsu, wherever) has never had even remotely the type of pressure situation that a kicker on an opposing team at LSU faces....

Unless he has played in the World Cup, it hasn't happened.

That is what is absurd....thinking any soccer player with a strong leg could automatically make kicks in a situation like Vaughn was put in

Let me ask one question. Could not being allowed to warmup prior to the attempts outside the players box have affected any of the kicks? LSU was allowed to have their kickers warmup, as usual, outside the players box.

just my take...

1. John was 7/9 on FGs coming into the game. That's pretty good. He (obviously) had an OFF night vs LSU. Happens to everyone at some point; that was his turn.

2. Wind, noise, & pressure. Each sucks, and combined they suck worse.

3. The offense should have done more. They moved close to the goal and quit. Kenny is awesome; "veteran receiver corps" not-so-awesome. With the ridiculous yards KI put up, we should have been able to get more TDs than FG attempts.

Edit: I didn't know that Vaugn wasn't allowed to warm up. That sucks bad. Any reason for not allowing him?

First off, Vaughn will be all right, he just had a bad night and I know the wind there was terrible. Not making excuses because I think that missing 5 kicks is absolutely absurd, but it's over now.

About the soccer player thing... Auburn doesn't have an NCAA soccer team for men, it's only club soccer, so the people that are going to be playing on that team are probably not going to be scholarship-caliber soccer players, because they probably wouldn't be at AU if they were. They are probably not any more qualified to kick than someone that has been kicking their whole career and is used to being a collegiate kicker.

1/6 is more than a bad night, thats just plain out horrible.

WarTim does make a great point though...but John Vaughn is no Tiger Woods ;)

The coaches need to have open tryouts....not to find a fg kicker, but to put the pressure on Vaughn to perform. If he cant perform under pressure, then we need another fg kicker period. In the SEC, special teams are what makes or breaks a game (see LSU's special teams).

But Vaughan was primarily a kicker in high school, wasn't he?  I recall he had some incredible kicking stats at Brentwood.  The big difference is, in high school you can use a tee.

192152[/snapback]

Thank you. I've been wanting to point that out but I was afraid it would go over the head of some of the coaching geniuses here :big:

I get the feeling some of you perfect people would just like to fire Vaughn. We did that one time. One of our kickers, Robert McGinty missed two FGs against bama and we lost. McGinty subsequently had his scholly taken away. He transferred to Florida (remember he was so bad we didn't even object). But as you might guess, he later kicked the winning FG against Auburn. Be careful what you wish for. <_<

Even when John Vaughn makes a field goal it usually isn't by much. I have watched him kick field goals for 3 years now and alot of his kicks just barely make it through the uprights.  I sure hope he can get it turned around. 

Food for thought: 

If he had to kick a 35 yard field goal to beat Alabama in the last seconds of the game - how confident would you be that he would make it?

192172[/snapback]

more importantly, how confident do you think john vaughn would be that he could make it? that is what really counts. a lot of times when a kicker ha a night like vaughn did saturday they can't get thier confidence back. it becomes kind of like a golfer who can't quit slicing the ball. remember how good duval was his junior year and then how bad he was his senior year? it wasn't because he didn't have the ability it was just a mental thing. sure hope this is not the casewith vaughn.

btw getting a soccer player to kick field goals in the middle of the year would be a dumb idea. jmo.

more importantly, how confident do you think john vaughn would be that he could make it? that is what really counts.  a lot of times when a kicker ha a night like vaughn did saturday they can't get thier confidence back.

Billy Bennett came back from missing 3 at LSU two years ago to have a great senior season

OSU's kicker came back from last year's LSU game and was a finalist for the Best Kicker of the Year award.

Many kickers are able to block one game out.

that is why i said i hope vaughn can work out the kinks. this was the first game he has ever really had to make a pressure kick of any distance. hopefully having the experience will help him and not hurt him in the future.

Don't we have a second kicker?

I won't say John Vaughn lost the game for us, I would say he's part of it but too much happens in a game to be placed squarely on one man's shoulder. There are always some weird stuff happening when we play LSU, like that earthquake game, fire, "falling on defender" penalty... this is just another addition to a great tradition we're having with our LSU rivalry :D

Soccer player? Please, this is football :lol:

After watching the Auburn-LSU game, I believe I have a suggestion for the field goal unit. No offense to John Vaughn, but I believe the best idea to bring a good kicker in is to bring  a soccer player in, possibly a foreign guy.

192149[/snapback]

Okay......so who you do propose we bring in to replace all the receivers who were having problems catching some well thrown passes to them?

My point is this....you cannot lay sole blame for this loss on Mr. Vaughn.

Admittedly I know very little about soccer, however I do know that soccer balls as a rule don't get more than 3 or 4 feet off the ground so that leads to very little or no chance of effects when things like wind are in the picture.

Not that a soccer kicker couldn't get the job done but I just don't see a pure soccer kicker being able to come in and deal with the wind, like vaughn had to do. John will come back from this, NO ONE feels worse about missing those kicks than him.

Archived