Runningback U Stat

StatTiger

Over the past 6 seasons, an Auburn runningback has eclipsed the century mark 47 times. :o Auburn's record in those games is 40-5. We fielded two 100-yard backs in two of those games. During the 6 year period under Bowden, Auburn had 22 individual rushing games.

Under Tuberville, Auburn backs are averaging nearly eight 100-yard games per season from 2000-2005.

2000: 10

2001: 3

2002: 8

2003: 8

2004: 9

2005: 9

Al Borges proved that two "star" runningbacks could share the load at Auburn and still be highly regarded in the NFL draft. It's not about quantity but quality and our coaching staff can show this to our future backfield stars. Kenny Irons should be the next NFL caliber back, continuing a growing list of backs currently playing in the NFL.

:au::football::cheer::cheer:

Over the past 6 seasons, an Auburn runningback has eclipsed the century mark 47 times. :eek Auburn's record in those games is 40-5. We fielded two 100-yard backs in two of those games. During the 6 year period under Bowden, Auburn had 22 individual rushing games.

Under Tuberville, Auburn backs are averaging nearly eight 100-yard games per season from 2000-2005.

Al Borges proved that two "star" runningbacks could share the load at Auburn and still be highly regarded in the NFL draft. It's not about quantity but quality and our coaching staff can show this to our future backfield stars. Kenny Irons should be the next NFL caliber back, continuing a growing list of backs currently playing in the NFL. 

:au:   :football:   :cheer:   :cheer:

205715[/snapback]

IMHO, I think Kenny Irons will be competing with Brad Lester for the starting TB position when Lester finally heals up. And then the truly scary part is, AU has a reserve defensive back that could step right in at tailback and work on his 20 ypc average should Irons or Lester falter. {dayyum, just dayyum.} C'mn CTT, bring in some more blue chip OL to block for these guys!

Over the past 6 seasons, an Auburn runningback has eclipsed the century mark 47 times. :eek Auburn's record in those games is 40-5. We fielded two 100-yard backs in two of those games. During the 6 year period under Bowden, Auburn had 22 individual rushing games.

205715[/snapback]

IMHO, I think Kenny Irons will be competing with Brad Lester for the starting TB position when Lester finally heals up. And then the truly scary part is, AU has a reserve defensive back that could step right in at tailback and work on his 20 ypc average should Irons or Lester falter. {dayyum, just dayyum.} C'mn CTT, bring in some more blue chip OL to block for these guys!

205734[/snapback]

I'd phrase it as "Lester will compete with Irons" for starting TB. I think Kenny pretty well locked up the starting spot with his season after Brad went down. Lester is very good and might offer Kenny a real challenge, but I think Kenny would have to be considered the front-runner now. However, I'm still looking forward to seeing Brad break a few kick returns for TD's--he came so close a few times before he was hurt.

Don't we have one or two hot-shot running back commits coming in as well?

Also, has Tre Smith definitely announced that he's leaving for med school, or is that still just a consideration at this point? [And congrats to Tre for making pre-med level grades while also doing football full-time--that's quite a feat in itself!]

i think i'd phrase it like this: brad lester will be the best second string back in the southeast and possibly in the united states, but he's going to be second string. kenny is: 1) a senior, 2) a returning starter, 3) an all-american on some lists. he's going to start. brad will be second and if he plays like he did pre-injury, he could work himself into a ronnie brown situation where cadillac started and brown got almost as many carries.

by the way, i was watching nfl games the other day and it was really fun b/c on one channel there was cadillac against stephen davis. on the other channel was rudi. then after that round of games tony richardson was on. so that was fun. it's getting to point where you can't watch an nfl game without hitting a tailback that played here. cadillac (tampa), ronnie (miami), bjacobs (new york), heath (new england), rudi (cincinnatti), beasley (san francisco), stephen (carolina), richardson (kansas city), morrow (arizona). that's a lot of teams, and i think jake has a shot at getting on this year too. add kenny, brad... i mean what's it going to be like when 16 out of the 32 teams field an auburn back?

205715[/snapback]

205734[/snapback]

IMHO...Kenny should be the every down back, and Brad should be the change of pace guy who blows them away when he comes in with that extra gear. I think that philosophy worked very well before Brad got hurt...and it should work very well for us next year.... :cheer:

:au::homer:

A footnote to the 2 back Caddy/Ronnie comparisons: that arrangement worked because those guys had a rare maturity found only occasionally in 20 year old supermen. Props to our coaches for bringing in that caliber of player, but Irons/Lester may be a whole different dynamic as far as putting egos on the shelf.

A footnote to the 2 back Caddy/Ronnie comparisons: that arrangement worked because those guys had a rare maturity found only occasionally in 20 year old supermen. Props to our coaches for bringing in that caliber of player, but Irons/Lester may be a whole different dynamic as far as putting egos on the shelf.

205957[/snapback]

A valid concern! And even they probably don't know what they'll be feeling inside, ego-wise, a year from now. But if anyone can bring out the best in them, I think the team of Tommy Tuberville, Al Borges, and Chette Williams has as good a chance as anyone. They seem to do a great job of it.

In general, I don't think we have any junior that couldn't profit big time at the signing table by taking one more year to make their case. They should all stay. We just seem to have a lot of guys (Including Stanley, David, Courtney and others) on the edge of breaking as big as Carnell, Ronnie, Jason, and Carlos. Another year might put them there. And I'd say the same thing about the same set of talent if they played at another school.

Archived