Bowl Games

aumoore

Has anyone watched the current bowl games? I have not had any reason to watch any of them as I would rather watch reruns of Ally McBeal back to back with Baywatch than Kansas vs. Houston or Memphis vs. Akron. Yes I am sure the fans of these schools are watching but I doubt the regular football fans are tuning in. This is another reason to have playoffs as if these games meant something other than winning a San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia trophy(that makes me want to drive to San Diego and put my money in their credit union).

It must be pretty bad when you have to have a local credit union sponsor your bowl. I bet if they were playoff games then bigger sponsors would step up. Also if there were actual playoff games then some of the smaller bowl venues could host the early bowls for the teams that did not make the playoffs then maybe a first round playoff game. There could be so much money generated maybe some of the stadiums could actually make much needed improvements and line the pockets of the greedy bowl committees.

Now if these games meant some of the teams could advance and maybe play my Tigers I would be interested in watching them.

What are your thoughts?

Rock Chalk, Jay Hawk, KKKKKKKUUUUUUUU

Watch it Bud, I'm a graduate of KU.

When I was there, you could get into the football games by showing a proof of purchase from any (don't remember the name brand) package of lunch meat!

You had to kill someone to get Bball tics, however.

Other than KU, I agree. :blink:

Actually I've enjoyed watching most of the games. if you are a student of the game and not just a rah rah fan, it's interesting to see what other offenses and defenses are doing. Plus, most of the games have been competetive and went down to the 4th quarter. The only game I didn't watch any of was the Houston-Kansas game. For me that was a really "who cares.'

I watched the Arizona St. Game last night, which was the 2000 yards of Offense only bowl. Pretty interesting, I never knew Rutgers could score that much :o

I have actually enjoyed the bowl games up to this point and have watched a great deal of them. They are teams that I usually don't get to see play and I enjoy the change.

legal

you proved my point that unless you are a fan of one of the schoosl you probably have little or no interest in the "early" bowl games. I was not knocking KU and I actually watched about 30 minutes of the game before I decided I had better things to do. I am sure there are KU fans who would not watch Auburn play in the GMAC Bowl but would if it was a first round playoff game.

These early bowl games mean little except for a trophy and another entry into the schools archives. Now if it ment they could be this years Cinderella and advance to the top 8 teams I bet there would be more interest.

I like to watch the NCAA tournament to see who will be the underdog that makes it to the sweet 16.

There are too many bowl games...you could pare it down by about 10 games (there are 28 this year) without even noticing it.

* BCS games (4)

* Peach (soon to be just Chick-Fil-A)

* Gator

* Cap One

* Outback

* Cotton

* Holiday

* Liberty

* Independence

* Sun

* Alamo

* Music City

* Aloha/Hawai'i/whatever they're calling it

* GMAC (really needs an SEC tie-in, imo, to make it long-term)

* Champs

That'd be plenty.

What's going to be amusing is when there are fewer bowl eligible teams than there are bowl slots...'course, with the 12-game season coming, 6-6 will get you in.

I watched the Arizona St. Game last night, which was the 2000 yards of Offense only bowl. Pretty interesting, I never knew Rutgers could score that much  :o

207285[/snapback]

What you think a Pac10 team can keep someone from scoring?? That would mean they learn about defense, which means they would have to come to the south, which they are not going to do!!!

How did that ASU team almost beat LSWho?

PT, tell me about the defenses you observed last night in the Insight.com Bowl.

AUMoore, don't worry about my feelings. I'm a lawyer - pretty much numb. Somebody like PT would pick KU out as an example just because he saw I "gaduated" there. You didn't know. I understand. Could you imagine getting into an Auburn football game by showing a proof of purchase for one package of all chicken weiners? Mmmm.

Thanks to Jenny, I can at least watch some of the games before falling asleep.

Has anyone watched the current bowl games?  I have not had any reason to watch any of them as I would rather watch reruns of Ally McBeal back to back with Baywatch than Kansas vs. Houston or Memphis vs. Akron.  Yes I am sure the fans of these schools are watching but I doubt the regular football fans are tuning in.  This is another reason to have playoffs as if these games meant something other than winning a San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia trophy(that makes me want to drive to San Diego and put my money in their credit union).

Now if these games meant some of the teams could advance and maybe play my Tigers I would be interested in watching them. 

What are your thoughts?

207275[/snapback]

Actually I've enjoyed watching most of the games. if you are a student of the game and not just a rah rah fan, it's interesting to see what other offenses and defenses are doing. Plus, most of the games have been competetive and went down to the 4th quarter. The only game I didn't watch any of was the Houston-Kansas game. For me that was a really "who cares.'

207282[/snapback]

I'm with you PT, I have enjoyed most of these games.

Being from the NY area and watching Rutgers hang with one of the "PAC 10 elite" last night was pretty enjoyable. Also enjoyed watching the Deangelo kid from Memphis make history.

Legal did also say something right:

Thanks to Jenny, I can at least watch some of the games before falling asleep.

Being in this and some other pools make any game interesting.

Heck, the only "good" bowl game so far has been the Champs Sports Bowl....

Clemsons defense was all over the place, and that James Davis kid looks like the real deal at RB for the Tigers. It could have been a lot worse for Colorado, but they held in there for a long time.

Other than that one, it's been lots of "O" and little "D"

I am going to sound like an old man when I say this but I have loved the bowl games so far even though no specific teams have interested me.

The Clemson/CU game was pretty fun to watch and the Rutgers game was cool as well.

Navy game was interesting as well as they beat CSU down.

I am going to sound like an old man when I say this but I have loved the bowl games so far even though no specific teams have interested me.

The Clemson/CU game was pretty fun to watch and the Rutgers game was cool as well.

Navy game was interesting as well as they beat CSU down.

207361[/snapback]

The navy game was fun to watch. The Navy offense was dealing CSU all kinds of trouble.

So far today the Boston College game wasn't bad and the first three quarters of the Michigan & Nebraska, Michigan is taking over now which helps me in the bowl pick'em.

just finished watching the alamo bowl, hope nobody missed it, almost cal-stanford at the end, ball still alive for michigan, nebraska bench runs onto field during the play, ball was not down until the 15 yd line, should have been a penalty on nebraska for having 75 people on the field and one more play. the officials just ran off the field. the worst officiated game i have ever seen in my 37 years, michigan had to burn timeouts so that refs and replay guy could get the call right, however, they badly missed the arm going forward call--ruled a fumble, that setup the nebraska go ahead TD. if we ever suffer the same fate it would take me a LONG, LONG, LONG, time to get over that one. best game by far to date this bowl season, only thing missing was keith jackson, "WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA NELLIE!!!!!!!! which he would have worn out by the end of this one. looks like we both missed this one in the pick'em. at least some of us are no longer perfect.

Michigan is taking over now which helps me in the bowl pick'em.

207414[/snapback]

I had to open my mouth, :angry: I no more got this post up when nebraska had to make a come back.

just finished watching the alamo bowl, hope nobody missed it, almost cal-stanford at the end,  ball still alive for michigan, nebraska bench runs onto field during the play, ball was not down until the 15 yd line, should have been a penalty on nebraska for having 75  people on the field and one more play.  the officials just ran off the field. the worst officiated game i have ever seen in my 37 years, michigan had to burn timeouts so that refs and replay guy could get the call right, however, they badly missed the arm going forward call--ruled a fumble, that setup the nebraska go ahead TD.  if we ever suffer the same fate it would take me a LONG, LONG, LONG, time to get over that one.  best game by far to date this bowl season, only thing missing was keith jackson, "WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA NELLIE!!!!!!!! which he would have worn out by the end of this one. looks like we both missed this one in the pick'em. at least some of us are no longer perfect.

207422[/snapback]

From start to finish, this play lasted 42 seconds. That's unbelievable.

Nebraska/Michigan was a heck of a game. The NU running back, Ross?, was fun to watch. He was quick and could cut back inside on a dime. I was kind of stunned by the announcers and their assessment of the officiating. Usually, you won't hear the announcers just flat out say it sucks. They were saying "This Sunbelt crew is in way over their heads." Unfortunately, it was true. It really looked like that crew was not ready for the speed of the game at that level.

For those in the officiating business, TMajor, Cola' etc. can we get some input on that last play? As n'town made reference to, the last desperation play by Michigan was a series of about 8 laterals, ala Cal/Stanford. The last guy takes off down the sidelines and Nebraska's entire team is pouring on the field to celebrate. Michigans coaches were already on the field too along with camera guys, reporters etc. When the Michigan runner was finally tackled, I would guesstimate there were at least 60-70 people all over the field, illegally. The refs just headed for the locker room.

Am I missing something here?

Guest Tigrinum Major

That would have been a hard call to make, but that is why those guys are paid about 300 bucks a game. Throw a flag, give the Wolverines one more shot at the end zone and then head to the locker room.

I am not a football official, so I don't know the exact rule, but I would imagine that it exists for such an occurence.

I believe it would fall under the illlegal participation rule. But yes, they should have thrown the flag and used the replay to figure out time on the clock. Of course, if you watched most of the game you know that TWICE the Michigan coach had to call a TO just to get the officials to review a play. The first was the NU TD which was clearly an incompletion. The other was on a fumble I believe. The officials were bad to put it politely.

the call would have been illegal participation on both squads which would have been offsetting penalties, and game over, i hate it when michigan had nothing to lose and guy gets tackled out of bounds, keep it alive, two more latterals and its in the endzone, then there would have been a firestorm of controversy the likes of which possibly never seen before. anyway, way to go sun belt refs!

Archived