Do we need a big margin win over UW?

DKW 86

With :lsu: destroying Miami. I have to wonder if beating UW now almost has to be by a large margin or we will suffer a too low launch next season. Anyone else see it that way? HEck :lsu: may jump over us with that performance...

I thought about the same thing. It definately takes the attention away from us, even if we do beat wisconsin badly, we won't be thought of as "the best team in the SEC", like we were after the Iron Bowl and SECCG.

Honestly I dont think we can be ranked higher than LSU preseason, they always have national hype and their win over Miami will no matter what be considered greater than if we beat Wisconsin.

If I heard correctly tonight, LSU is loosing 6 on offense & 6 on defense. Which will have an impact on next years standings. If AU takes care of business Monday, has a good recruiting year and has no problems in the off season, they should be ranked fairly high.

If I heard correctly tonight, LSU is loosing 6 on offense & 6 on defense.  Which will have an impact on next years standings.  If AU takes care of business Monday, has a good recruiting year and has no problems in the off season, they should be ranked fairly high.

207933[/snapback]

I agree....

We should definitely show something during the Wisconsin game. I believe Tubbs might offer some playing time to some younger players during the 2nd half...in which we see some drop off.

wishful thinking i know but... i think we def have to put a large margin of victory on the badgers. I know that we will probably call off the dogs in the second half but i wish we would run it up on them.

This bowl game is a true test for us. This is the kind of game that for CTT's first five years was our achilles heel. A game that we should definitely win against a pretty good opponent. If we are truly entering the upper echelon of college teams we will beat Wisconsin and be ranked in the top 5-7 next year and I don't think it matters by how much. Then we are in the race if the chips fall properly.

I expect us to win, but ANYTHING can happen on any given day. If Wisconsin brings their A-game we will need ours.

Don't forget that Wisconsin is ranked far below us (22nd is it?) and we go into the game big favorites. LSU just convincing drummed a team ranked ahead of them. I know UGA beat 'em in the SECCG and we should have beaten them, but if I had a vote in the polls I'd have a hard time not ranking them as the cream of the SEC after last night.

Playing against a team we are supposed to beat like Wisconsin, we really need to put on a great show to stay ahead of LSU in the rankings.

Margin of victory won't matter, we win we will stay ahead of LSU in the polls. Lot of talk about Alavarez's last game and his team playing for him in the media, they don't expect Wisconsin to rollover.

Far as next year, who knows how they will vote em. Finish has something to do with it, but also so does returning players.

Last year and to some extent this year, CTT has developed a pension for running clock and playing defense and field position as soon as he gets a lead, usually by the second quarter. I hope he lets Borges use the playbook at least until the 4th quarter, regardless of the score.

On the other hand, Wis may give us all we want and then some.

i'd take a one-point victory right now, and feel good about it.

doesn't matter if we start below LSU next year or not since we get to play them...it's the teams we don't play that are ahead of us that we'll have to worry about more (that and the teams we actually do play i guess :) )

ct

i'd take a one-point victory right now, and feel good about it.

doesn't matter if we start below LSU next year or not since we get to play them...it's the teams we don't play that are ahead of us that we'll have to worry about more (that and the teams we actually do play i guess :) )

ct

208005[/snapback]

I agree CT, I was thinking of that one point victory just moments ago. But to keep with the title of this thread, a blowout by AUBURN would look good this year and going into next year.

This is another one of those "cross roads" building block type games that can lesd this program to being perceived to have reached the next level.

We definitely need an impressive performance and an repectable margin of victory. A loss or a close game here would be problematic as regards where we start next year. I believe it's very important to start in the top ten.

I will take a victory in any form or fashion and by 1 point.

This is almost a no-win situation for CTT --

Large margin of victory and he is portrayed as running the score up on "good ole coach" BA in his swan song game.

Close game with an AU win and we didn't live up to our hype.

Lose the game and ...................

I see a very close game with AU winning in the 4th. CTT will not allow a large margin of victory due to his respect for CBA. Any victory gives us a 10 win season going into next year and a top 10 finish this year (I know a top 5 would be better). As was mentioned previously, it doesn't matter if either LSU or UGa is ranked ahead of us at year end or at the beginning of next year. We play both and our ranking will be based on our performance next year on the field against those two teams. My concern, as has also been previously voiced, is the ranking of the teams we don't play and how/who the media chooses to place on the bandwagon with usc - psu, nd, tx, and/or osu.

Whether LSU is ranked ahead of us next preseason doesn't matter to me. We will settle that head on during the season. What worries me most is that a lot of us are way overconfident in the upcoming game with Wisconsin. Look at how many favories have lost already. Wisconsin will be pumped since it's Alvarez's last game as HC and they will also be looking to redeem themselves against us. Right now I'll just take a win.

Running up the score won't impress as many as a dominating defensive performance would. If we hold UW to 150 yards, there should be talk going on. That can be a stout offense at times, unlike UM who just gets the job done. If we completely dominate their offense, there will be some buzz as we return most starters and have awesome people ready to take the reigns of departing seniors.

The Seer seeth well, methinks.

A win is a win is a win...sometimes bowl wins are springboards to something great the next season (Wisconsin '03 Music City into '04), sometimes they aren't (Penn State '02 Cap One into '03).

My advice is to not try to draw too many inferences for '06 success based on how well the bowl game goes on Tuesday. Stock up on the food and drink and try to enjoy the game.

If AU and UGA won....I would be very surprised if LSU was ranked ahead of UGA.

With that said, I doubt UGA would jump AU.....

Thus...I doubt LSU jumps either.

Archived