What was the real problem area today?

DKW 86

What was the real problem area today?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What was the real problem area today?

• Poor Offensive Execution?
    • Poor Offensive Gameplan?
    • Poor Defensive Execution?
    • Poor Defensive Gameplan?
    • Overall Coaching?
    • Overall Play?

What was the main problem today? Was it Coaching or Players? Was it Offense or Defense?

IMHO: The Offensive Execution was so bad that the D was on its heels all during the first quarter. Remember that the O gave up two turnovers right off the bat. The D gave up no points! Finally the D just wore out.

I think we were out coached on D, O, and Head Coach. As the players said, "We vacationed too much." Borges could get nothing going because the O played so badly. The O playing badly wore the D out. You cannot win any ball games scoring only 10 points. Then again you aint going to win many giving up 584 yards on Defense.

Poor offensive execution all day long and don't think it was the play calling

or officiating(except one or two calls).Auburn was caught off guard.Offense outta

sink and those extra days off woulda payed off huge if practiced.

Timing is everything.WAR EAGLE anyway!!! :au::au::au::au::au::au:

I selected coaching because ultimately it is their responsibility to get the players prepared. Play is a very close second, at all positions (except RB). Cox was having accuracy problems, the receivers dropped balls when they were delivered well, the line didn't block, d-lineman and linebackers couldn't shed blocks (the skinny receivers blocking bigger, stronger players got old quick with me), and if the secondary was on the field at all today they'd probably have messed up some too.

Coaching though, is the main reason we got smacked. Obviously we weren't prepared. Play calling wasn't the best (why pass when the RB's are getting 4.5 ypc????) but I can't knock Borges for not being perfect for one day. While I've been quiet about it all season, I'm not a fan of this Gibbs style D. Yes, we put up some terrific numbers, but the 3 good offenses we faced (4 if you count GT) put up some terrific numbers on our D. The UGA game should have been a wake up call, but it wasn't, at least to myself. Our secondary, which should be good, allows big plays consistently. Our DL is awesome, I'll give credit there. Our LB's are pretty dang good too. However last year, we were one of the best tackling teams I saw. This year, we stink at it... not just today, but all season.

Is the sky falling on AU football? No. This might be a blessing in disguise for next year. Boy I sure hope so. I'm just glad we didn't get matched up with a juggernaut offense today, because that would have been ugly. The coaches now get to focus hard on recruiting, and address the many obvious issues shown today.

Anyways, the 2005 season went out on a sour note, but it was still an awesome season. We were a miracle catch and 2-3 less turnovers away from being undefeated up to this point, and I don't think anyone in their right mind could have anticipated that. This was a dang good football team this year, and we look to be about the same next year. A 9-3 or 10-2 season next year will be almost expected, but at the same time, it would be a great season once people realize the talent lost on offense and defense this year. Here's to hoping next August rolls around quickly. War Eagle.

PS - Why were we having such traction issues today? UW didn't seem to have near as many. Did someone sneak in the lockerroom and put Crisco on our cleats?

While I've been quiet about it all season, I'm not a fan of this Gibbs style D.  Yes, we put up some terrific numbers, but the 3 good offenses we faced (4 if you count GT) put up some terrific numbers on our D. 

208529[/snapback]

I, too, have been less than impressed with the defensive changes, but remained quiet for fear of being deemed a "complainer" or worse, being percieved as not supporting the team.

I thought the overall defensive plan against LSU was poor as it was against GT, UGA and Kentucky. I was disturbed that teams with any offensive punch at all were able to move the ball on Auburn. But I kept my reservations to myself so as not to be "chicken little".

I'm really pleased with Auburn's offensive progress over the past two seasons. But I don't want to become a PAC-10 team where our goal is to out-offense everybody we play. That may work on the left coast, but it isn't the formula for winning in the SEC.

Bowden? Bowden?

Now that the game has been over long enough I can make an honest assessment, without calling for Coach Gibbs head. I can say the two things that really standout to me for coaches and players.

Defense:

#1-A. How many times did the Wisconsin QB just sit back and hit a WIDE open receiver? Now I know coverage can only last so long and maybe it’s just me, but for these guys to get that open I was thinking either we were playing the worst zone I have ever seen or just not picking up coverages. Why did we just continue to put our D in that situation from 1st quarter to 4th, did Gibbs and Co. Not make adjustments at half or any during the game?

#1-B. Tackling, Tackling, Tackling!!!! I am not singling out Eric Brock on this I am just using him as an example for MANY MANY plays. But my god that has to be the worst display of tackling I have seen in a long time.

Offense:

#1-A. Play calling? Why was Borges so intent on running outside? We must have tried the toss play at least 15 times and never made more than two or three yards with it. When in contrast the inside running was working better albeit not great but Kenny was getting 6 - 10 yards carrying the ball inside. Play-action on 3rd and 10, C.A.B! NO ONE thinks your going to run the ball.

#1-B. Execution! Turnovers, over-thrown passes, under-thrown passes, and dropped balls. Need any more be said?

We had a good season and I still would argue we are the best team in the SEC, but when we had a bad afternoon boy did we ever stink the place up. Thank you seniors for a great 4 years and War Eagle to everyone.

MOTIVATION.....which involves Coaching preparation..............They were out to lunch! :( This ugly animal rears its ugly head once or twice in a season with Tubs and seems to be a trend.... :angry:

Wisconsin probably went back and looked at the Kentucky game tape and said

eureka! Tha game showed everyone how to beat Auburn. Sadly Auburn coaches

ignored it. Didn'y :uk: put up over 500 yards?

What about the end of the first half time use, awful. Auburn has the ball is moving it, has a timeout or two, could have made a pass to the endzone or get in field goal range. Instead let clock run out after player ejected (which he should have been). If you are behind, the last two minutes of the half are no different than the last two at the end of the game. PLAY to WIN the Half!!

:angry::angry::angry::angry: :argue: :gofig:

I picked "Overall Coaching". The only reason I included the D was that we gave up so much yardage...but I really blame the O game plan for the most part. If I've said this once, I've said it a dozen times...when the qb is having a bad day, RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES. Every time we did, we seemed to pick up pretty decent yardage...then we'd throw it again...and Bob's your uncle...it's 4th down! OVER AND OVER, we did the same predictable things. Oh well...they never seem to get it...so what's the use. But it's hard to complain about the year as a whole. Good coaching...good effort...and 9-3 is a pretty good result when you have to replace an entire O backfield. WAR EAGLE...and good job, everyone.

:au::homer:

I picked "Overall Coaching". The only reason I included the D was that we gave up so much yardage...but I really blame the O game plan for the most part. If I've said this once, I've said it a dozen times...when the qb is having a bad day, RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES. Every time we did, we seemed to pick up pretty decent yardage...then we'd throw it again...and Bob's your uncle...it's 4th down! OVER AND OVER, we did the same predictable things. Oh well...they never seem to get it...so what's the use. But it's hard to complain about the year as a whole. Good coaching...good effort...and 9-3 is a pretty good result when you have to replace an entire O backfield. WAR EAGLE...and good job, everyone.

P.S. If only Brandon had thrown the ball 2 feet farther on that first bomb of the game...TD Auburn...and we're off to the races.... Sheesh....

:au::homer:

But I don't want to become a PAC-10 team where our goal is to out-offense everybody we play. That may work on the left coast, but it isn't the formula for winning in the SEC.

Bowden? Bowden?

208533[/snapback]

I was thinking something similar. It looked like AU took the role of a Big10 team with all passing, no D, while Wisconsin emulated the good rushing attack with a strong D of the SEC. That Bowden thought is just scary. But, you never know. USC is the best team that has played, or will ever play, in the universe and according to ESPN, could probably take down Heaven's army 34-10. And they got that way with an offensive minded team.

I think Tuberville will do the right thing here and grab some of the reigns on D. He's a smart guy, he'll recognize the problem.

P.S. If only Brandon had thrown the ball 2 feet farther on that first bomb of the game...TD Auburn...and we're off to the races.... Sheesh....

:au:   :homer:

208569[/snapback]

I believe that was the plan, to hit them in the mouth early. When it didn't work, it seemed that they didn't have a plan B. That is the first time I can truly say that about CAB's offense in the last 2 years.

I chose Defensive Coaching as I saw the worst performance yet of a Gibbs coached defense. As to abide by the rules of the site, I won't mention any names, but if the coaches could rescind a scholly, they really need to take the opportunity on the part-time rapper IMO so that they can get someone who wants to play in this system.

My rant is over, please excuse me but I have seen a replay of the same attitude and playing style for 3 years now out of one player in particular...

Archived