Irons Applies for Medical Redshirt!

SKCAUB

AU's McClover to skip senior season

Collin Mickle / Staff Writer

January 6, 2006

Southeastern Conference quarterbacks can sleep a little easier tonight: Stanley McClover won’t be terrorizing opposing backfields anymore.

Thursday, the Auburn University junior announced he would enter April’s National Football League draft, ending his college career.

“After careful thoughts and prayers, I have decided to forgo my senior season at Auburn to pursue my dream of a career in the NFL,” McClover said in a statement released by the school. “I feel like this is the right opportunity for me to take my game to the next level.”

The move had been the topic of speculation for weeks. It started when McClover said he had applied to the NFL for information about his draft status, and didn’t rule out foregoing his final year of eligibility if he was rated highly enough.

To make it official, he’ll have to file with the NFL by Jan. 15, the deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft. Once the Jan. 15 deadline passes, all decisions are final: Fence-sitting underclassmen can’t enter the draft later, and anyone in the draft after the deadline is in for good.

McClover played in 24 games during the last two seasons at Auburn, totaling 66 tackles, 15 1/2 sacks and 23 1/2 tackles for loss. He finished 2005 with eight sacks, including 6 1/2 in the final three games of the regular season.

McClover earned Associated Press All-SEC honorable mention honors each of the last two seasons and was a first-team all-conference selection by the league’s coaches in 2004.

During bowl practice, the Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., native said repeatedly that he would consult with his family after the game and make a final decision.

“I am going to miss my teammates and the Auburn fans,” McClover said in his statement. “Auburn fans are the best in the country and playing in front of them in Jordan-Hare Stadium is second to none. I had a great experience at Auburn and will never forget it.”

An Auburn University spokesman said McClover’s departure would not harm Auburn under the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rating. The APR penalizes teams if players leave school early while also struggling academically, but McClover’s grades were in order for the fall semester.

Calls to McClover’s mother’s home in Florida were not returned.

AU’s other possible NFL defector, senior cornerback David Irons, has reportedly applied for a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA.

Irons, who missed two seasons with knee injuries, is applying for a medical hardship waiver. He is expected to hear from the NCAA before the start of spring practice. If his request is denied, he will be eligible for the NFL draft.

cmickle@oanow.com | 737-2561

:au::homer:

Maybe DI will try to stick it out one more year. I can hardly blame him for wanting to leave under his circumstances, but I really feel he has more to gain by staying. On a selfish note, we really need him back if only to give some of our young corners some more time to mature. Either way, it has been great watching him this year and I wish he and SM the best.

Archived