USC: If this isn't an NCAA violation..

GalensGhost

There's an article in Friday's Tuscaloosa News written by John Nadel of the Associated Press. I have searched in vain for this article online. Buried in the middle of the article is Carroll's assessment of Vince Young's stated intention to remain at Texas for his senior season.

"Vince Young's stock couldn't go higher," Carroll said. "He has to rethink his decision...There's never been a quarterback like that. Nobody's ever been that big, that fast, that strong. And he's got a great arm, too. He's an extraordinary prospect"

REALLY? Young has to rethink his decision? You don't say. HAS to? When did Vince Young's draft status become Pete Carroll's concern? If I were Mack Brown, I would drive to Los Angeles and punch Carroll in the mouth.

I'd like to drive to Cali and punch him in the mouth myself just on general principle.

It became Pete Carroll's concern when he beat them for the NC, and he knows he'll have to wait another year with Vince in the lineup.

209563[/snapback]

Seriously. When it comes to the NCAA is there any regulation that prevents one coach from encouraging a player from another team to go pro?

If it isn't illegal, it should be. Imagine two years ago if Saban, Richt, Beamer, Stoops, Carroll and some of the other respected college coaches -- and then Shula, too -- had come out in print encouraging Carnell and Ronnie to leave AU before their senior seasons.

Illegal or not, it's still a crappy thing to do.

Galen, i agree... I dont know whether its illegal or not by NCAA rules..In fact, with the NCAA what is illegal today, could be legal tomorrow...

Very inappropriate comments from Carroll regarding this. I guess he knows he's in the crappiest conference of them all, and knows if VY does return, he doesn't have an answer on how to stop him if he gets another opportunity against UT.... I didn't know coaches were scared of players?? LOL...but this is what it sounds like to me..

There's an article in Friday's Tuscaloosa News written by John Nadel of the Associated Press. I have searched in vain for this article online.  Buried in the middle of the article is Carroll's assessment of Vince Young's stated intention to remain at Texas for his senior season.

"Vince Young's stock couldn't go higher," Carroll said. "He has to rethink his decision...There's never been a quarterback like that. Nobody's ever been that big, that fast, that strong. And he's got a great arm, too. He's an extraordinary prospect"

REALLY? Young has to rethink his decision? You don't say. HAS to? When did Vince Young's draft status become Pete Carroll's concern? If I were Mack Brown, I would drive to Los Angeles and punch Carroll in the mouth.

I'd like to drive to Cali and punch him in the mouth myself just on general principle.

209542[/snapback]

Ghost, I would be happy to drive for you. I would want you good and rested so that that PUNCH would be as strong as possible. :D

The best couple of underclassmen on all the teams other than USC should go early so that USC can regain their place as the annointed one. Have these guys been taking lessons from Bammer????

He is just trying to level the playing field, he knows his junior stars are going to leave...

Besides, he has a strong point, Vince could walk away at the top of his college game and walk into millions right now, why wait a year? Auburn's former b'ball star Chris Porter is one example of a top pick that came back for his senior year, and ended up dropping off the face of the earth after an average year. I am not saying all juniors with decent pro prospects should go, but those that can gain only a few more draft slots with a senior season. Now, coming back for a Heisman, that's a different story...

I think it is VERY seldom that an underclassman should go out early. Maby once every 3-5 years someone comes along who, outside of finishing their education, has nothing left to stay for. That said, what does VY have to stay for. The Heisman is the biggest BS dog and pony show ever invented. It has become more of a popularity contest than anything. Though I'm sure if he comes back, ESPN will make sure he wins it. Other than that, the guy would be the #1 pick in the draft and he just led his team to the NC in a game that he pretty much put on his shoulders. I can't imagine him having that many unrealized goals.

I think it is VERY seldom that an underclassman should go out early. Maby once every 3-5 years someone comes along who, outside of finishing their education, has nothing left to stay for. That said, what does VY have to stay for. The Heisman is the biggest BS dog and pony show ever invented. It has become more of a popularity contest than anything. Though I'm sure if he comes back, ESPN will make sure he wins it. Other than that, the guy would be the #1 pick in the draft and he just led his team to the NC in a game that he pretty much put on his shoulders. I can't imagine him having that many unrealized goals.

209682[/snapback]

although i do think pete carrol should keep his nose out of it because its none of his business, i would have to agree with your opinion. if he goes pro now, he walks into a ton of cash and a sure fire thing. wait a year, and things can happen (god forbid of course, an injury, etc.), then you would kick yourself every day for not leaving early. he's a great player and should be fun to watch in the nfl.

209682[/snapback]

although i do think pete carrol should keep his nose out of it because its none of his business, i would have to agree with your opinion. if he goes pro now, he walks into a ton of cash and a sure fire thing. wait a year, and things can happen (god forbid of course, an injury, etc.), then you would kick yourself every day for not leaving early. he's a great player and should be fun to watch in the nfl.

209808[/snapback]

*sigh*

Whether Young goes or stays is not the issue here. It's whether a rival coach has the right to offer his opinion one way or another.

If not illegal, it is certainly without class.

I agree with you Galen but unfortunately as you well know, there are plenty of things that are legal to do that are not the RIGHT thing to do. I have to admit I have come to the line of thinking that carroll is a tool.

Chris Porter is not a good example to use. He dropped off the face of the earth for activity with an agent right before the Tournament and then a subsequent marijuana possession bust. Both things that were clearly in his control, it's not like getting injured or something.

Chris Porter is not a good example to use. He dropped off the face of the earth for activity with an agent right before the Tournament and then a subsequent marijuana possession bust. Both things that were clearly in his control, it's not like getting injured or something.

209923[/snapback]

Exactly right Jaydubb...he was on the GS Warriors roster & playing a couple of years and did himself in with drugs.

Archived