Gibbs Gone.....

SKCAUB

AU expected to get new defensive coordinator

By Collin Mickle

Staff Writer

Wednesday, February 1, 2006

College football fans who follow recruiting are familiar with the concept of the “Signing Day Surprise.”

Usually, that means a player makes an unexpected decision on Signing Day, signing with a school most observers thought was out of the running for his services.

For Auburn University football fans, the term has taken on a new meaning the last two seasons.

For the second year in a row, AU is expected to have a new defensive coordinator after National Signing Day.

A source close to the football program told the Opelika-Auburn News on Wednesday that defensive coordinator David Gibbs has coached his last game for the Tigers.

Rumors have swirled around Gibbs since the Tigers closed the season with a lackluster showing in the Capital One Bowl. He earned the ire of media and some fans for skipping the post-game press conference, then spent January avoiding a host of media requests for interviews.

He broke his silence in an interview with Auburnsports.com, a Web site that covers AU football and recruiting.

“I was obviously upset and I made a big mistake," Gibbs told the site. “I should have stopped by the interview room. I made a mistake and it won't happen again.

“Just like we'll learn as a football team, I'll learn as a coach. I have to represent this University, go in there and accept the criticism and move on.”

In his first season on the Plains, Gibbs’ defense struggled down the stretch, surrendering more than 400 yards in three of the last four games.

The 38-year-old Gibbs coached defensive backs for the National Football League’s Denver Broncos before coming to Auburn. He is rumored to be weighing offers to return to the NFL as a defensive assistant.

Last season, defensive coordinator Gene Chizik left in mid-January, leaving AU scrambling to lock down its defense-heavy signing class. This year, Gibbs reportedly delayed his departure to prevent a similar situation.

AU head coach Tommy Tuberville was unavailable for comment early Wednesday afternoon.

cmickle@oanow.com | 737-2561

:au::homer:

:o Really didn't think that would happen. Not that I disagree with the decision, I just figured they'd give him another year. Well, let the new DC speculation begin.

Wow...that is big news. The D certainly had some problems, but I was not expecting this...in fact I was really looking forward to finally having an off-season without coaching changes...

I played under Mike Dubose at Northview High School, he has a great defensive mind, and is a great coordinatoor. I would like to see him come to Auburn and take over the defense. :roflol::no:

I played under Mike Dubose at Northview High School, he has a great defensive mind, and is a great coordinatoor.  I would like to see him come to Auburn and take over the defense.   :roflol:   :no:

216806[/snapback]

Lock up the AD secretaries!!!!! :rolleyes:

The only kind of defense this guy knows is how to defend himself from sexual harassment suits - and he isn't even very good at that.

I wasn't that unhappy with the overall job Gibbs did. I thought that he did pretty good considering it was his first season and we'd lost some good players on that side. But I did expect him to do whatever he needed to do to make sure that the meltdowns vs Wisconsin and UGA didn't happen again. So this news neither elates nor upsets me. I guess it depends on who we get in his place.

I played under Mike Dubose at Northview High School, he has a great defensive mind, and is a great coordinatoor.  I would like to see him come to Auburn and take over the defense.   :roflol:   :no:

216806[/snapback]

i played for Dothan High while Dubose was at Northview. If he was such a great coordinator/great defensive mind, then why were ya'll not able to stop us? Or anyone else during the year at that? AND i'm proud to say that just like Auburn beat Alabama FOUR YEARS IN A ROW (WDE), us Dothan Tigers, CLASS OF 2005, beat Northview ALL FOUR YEARS I attended and played for Dothan High...GO TIGERS! and wasn't Northview's record 0-31 before ya'll finally won a game? (SORRY EVERYONE, JUST A LIL PROUD OF MY HIGH SCHOOL CAREER AGAINST NORTHVIEW(DOTHAN HIGH'S RIVAL))

Either way, WDE and theres NO WAY we will hire Dubose...isn't he still at Luverne High School? :beer2::au:

ok...so, a few of us on the board was saying BEFORE the bowl game that he was bad and had to go, but it seems now the CTT might be thinking the same. Of course, I wonder how much this decision is based on what he did at the bowl game.

ok...so, a few of us on the board was saying BEFORE the bowl game that he was bad and had to go, but it seems now the CTT might be thinking the same.  Of course, I wonder how much this decision is based on what he did at the bowl game.

216820[/snapback]

I don't think CTT is the type to make rash decisions based on one game. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that it had to do with personality conflicts, performances in the UGA and Wisconsin games (as well as giving up that last TD to Bama) and Gibbs not showing up at the press conference after the bowl game. All that stuff combined probably just made the decision for him.

I don't think it's based on the bowl game as much as it is based on the overall performance of the defense throughout the season.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but I was at every game the past 4 years, and this seemed, to me, to be the worst tackling defense out of the 4 years. Tackling is basically all technique, is it not? Broken plays, missed assignment, getting beat on routes....those are player errors. Poor tackling technique is a coaching problem.

I realize they are not releasing him because the defense did not tackle well. That is just an illustration of a less-than-potential defense.

That's just my 2 cents. Best of luck to Gibbs if he really is moving on! If he is really staying with us, then best of luck to him as he gets our killer defense ready for 2006!

:au:

I played under Mike Dubose at Northview High School, he has a great defensive mind, and is a great coordinatoor.  I would like to see him come to Auburn and take over the defense.  :roflol:   :no:

216806[/snapback]

i played for Dothan High while Dubose was at Northview. If he was such a great coordinator/great defensive mind, then why were ya'll not able to stop us? Or anyone else during the year at that? AND i'm proud to say that just like Auburn beat Alabama FOUR YEARS IN A ROW (WDE), us Dothan Tigers, CLASS OF 2005, beat Northview ALL FOUR YEARS I attended and played for Dothan High...GO TIGERS! and wasn't Northview's record 0-31 before ya'll finally won a game? (SORRY EVERYONE, JUST A LIL PROUD OF MY HIGH SCHOOL CAREER AGAINST NORTHVIEW(DOTHAN HIGH'S RIVAL))

Either way, WDE and theres NO WAY we will hire Dubose...isn't he still at Luverne High School? :beer2::au:

216818[/snapback]

Ooooh, high school smack talk! :poke:

I believe it was the LSU game. Tuberville flipped out because we had to call a timeout because Gibbs was too slow calling in the defense. CTT screamed at Gibbs. Happened twice in that game and at least a couple other times throughout the season.

This had nothing to do with tackling or lining up or recruiting good talent. This had to do with being able to coach in college. You don't have as much time to match personnel in college. Gibbs tried to coach NFL style when we are playing college ball.

Just my opinion, but this was a bad hire from the start. Our defense is so fast, but we play a relaxed secondary and give the quarterback time to throw. With the exception of the Alabama game, we struggled to get pressure with a lot of talent. Thats coaching. We had 1st down guys, 2nd down guys, 3rd...let the best 11 strap it up and knock heads. This is college, not the NFL. We don't need a nickle defense. On 3rd and long blitz, don't sit back and let them pickup 15, sack em for 10.

I'm sick of the powder puff defense we play. Could you imagine the pressure the guy from Georgia Tech could get with the talent we have on defense? Thats what we need to win it all...aggressiveness

216806[/snapback]

216818[/snapback]

wow you are pretty proud of that, and you should be. I would be proud if we beat yall four years in a row too! But can you tell me who won this past year? Oh, and your allmost sounding like a bammer with all that back then talk. If a bammer came on here bragging about how they have 12 NC, you would burn them for living in the past, when all that really matters is who won the last time the two teams played. Well, who won between NHS and DHS this year? what happened to your dynasty? (Northview beat Dothan 30 to 20 last year)

Oh, and to all those who didnt get my remark about Dubose, IT WAS A JOKE!, I was playing on the fact that the sheer outragousness of saying Dubose should come to Auburn would be alittle funny.

I played under Mike Dubose at Northview High School, he has a great defensive mind, and is a great coordinatoor.  I would like to see him come to Auburn and take over the defense.  :roflol:   :no:

216806[/snapback]

216818[/snapback]

wow you are pretty proud of that, and you should be. I would be proud if we beat yall four years in a row too! But can you tell me who won this past year? Oh, and your allmost sounding like a bammer with all that back then talk. If a bammer came on here bragging about how they have 12 NC, you would burn them for living in the past, when all that really matters is who won the last time the two teams played. Well, who won between NHS and DHS this year? what happened to your dynasty? (Northview beat Dothan 30 to 20 last year)

Oh, and to all those who didnt get my remark about Dubose, IT WAS A JOKE!, I was playing on the fact that the sheer outragousness of saying Dubose should come to Auburn would be alittle funny.

216834[/snapback]

BTW, How many state championships does Dothan High have? :roflol:

I believe it was the LSU game.  Tuberville flipped out because we had to call a timeout because Gibbs was too slow calling in the defense.  CTT screamed at Gibbs.  Happened twice in that game and at least a couple other times throughout the season. 

This had nothing to do with tackling or lining up or recruiting good talent.  This had to do with being able to coach in college.  You don't have as much time to match personnel in college.  Gibbs tried to coach NFL style when we are playing college ball. 

Just my opinion, but this was a bad hire from the start.  Our defense is so fast, but we play a relaxed secondary and give the quarterback time to throw.  With the exception of the Alabama game, we struggled to get pressure with a lot of talent.  Thats coaching.  We had 1st down guys, 2nd down guys, 3rd...let the best 11 strap it up and knock heads.  This is college, not the NFL.  We don't need a nickle defense.  On 3rd and long blitz, don't sit back and let them pickup 15, sack em for 10.

I'm sick of the powder puff defense we play.  Could you imagine the pressure the guy from Georgia Tech could get with the talent we have on defense?  Thats what we need to win it all...aggressiveness

216832[/snapback]

Yeah I agree with all of this. Just the whole style of the defense in general. Like I said, tackling was just one illustration. You hit the nail on the head that it was the larger picture rather than one or two isolated things.

I believe it was the LSU game.  Tuberville flipped out because we had to call a timeout because Gibbs was too slow calling in the defense.  CTT screamed at Gibbs.  Happened twice in that game and at least a couple other times throughout the season. 

This had nothing to do with tackling or lining up or recruiting good talent.  This had to do with being able to coach in college.  You don't have as much time to match personnel in college.  Gibbs tried to coach NFL style when we are playing college ball. 

Just my opinion, but this was a bad hire from the start.  Our defense is so fast, but we play a relaxed secondary and give the quarterback time to throw.  With the exception of the Alabama game, we struggled to get pressure with a lot of talent.  Thats coaching.  We had 1st down guys, 2nd down guys, 3rd...let the best 11 strap it up and knock heads.  This is college, not the NFL.  We don't need a nickle defense.  On 3rd and long blitz, don't sit back and let them pickup 15, sack em for 10.

I'm sick of the powder puff defense we play.  Could you imagine the pressure the guy from Georgia Tech could get with the talent we have on defense?  Thats what we need to win it all...aggressiveness

216832[/snapback]

I agree with that, the Kentucky game was the BIG warning sign, and it proved to be not talent but coaching. CTT knows to stay ahead of the curve, he has the players, now he needs to make sure the coaches are here to get the most of this talent.

I have total confidence in CTT and that he knows what's best for the program. He must have had some MAJOR personality clashes with Gibbs for him to get booted after the first year.

At least now the defense is so loaded with talent I could coach them :P:P

I agree with all of that, but I think the final straw was when he didn't show after the Wisconson game. Part of a college coaches job now-a-days is to talk to the media, especially after a game at a press conference where you were scheduled to talk. If gibbs had avoided the media after practice one day, that would have been different, but you just dont skip out on a scheduled press conference. I know nobody is perfect, but that kinda showed how his true character is. (again, i know nobody is perfect and i might have done the same thing if i was in his shoes, but you all know sometimes in the buisness world, you just cant make a mistake like that.)

Archived