Conditioning

deceks7

Seeing the award that Coach Yox received the other day caused me to recall an item I saw on a bama site the other day. The theme was the lack of conditioning of various units, particularly the OL. It seems as though position coaches were in charge of conditioning for their units, even though bama has a strength coach. I know position coaches have input, but that CMS gave them the lead in this area is just another example of poor coaching. The responsibility has now been returned to the strength coach, and comments abounded on how they have trash cans at the end of each aisle to catch the evidence of the hard work.

I kept thinking what a terrible way to judge the effects of a conditioning program, the quantity of vomit that is produced. I know Yox works our guys hard, but the lack of injuries and the players like McNeil overcoming his injuries are the real tests. Bama can keep their garbage cans, we can keep Yox.

Amen.

Yox tailors the players' workouts to the position they play and of course to their individual needs. It's not just how many bench presses of a given weight a guy can do.

Running backs do the "hill run", linebackers learn lateral footwork, etc.

If I ever get the chance, I would like to hear his views on nutrition. I know that Spurrier is big on having guys eat properly and all the research that I've done says you can't over emphasize good food balance. College kids are horrible junkies--I'd hate to have to be the one to try to get them to discipline their intake and selection.

The comments on the trash cans show just how far behind AU is. These are the type of comments that help ease the feelings of the backward fans that actually think this represents progress. To think they would even consider leaving conditioning up to the position coaches in the first place shows just how far behind they are. Yox customizes the workouts of each position to accentuate the specific movements they encounter during a game. Also (like McNeil), if the player has a special need in terms of conditioning, his workout is altered to fit his needs. No postiton coach has the time or the training to do this in addition to his duties as a position coach. Plus, Yox can devote ALL of his time to standing over them making sure that they are working their butts off twelve months out of the year. Then you don't need the trash cans.

I dare you to show me a team that has been in better condition than AU. No one will be next year either.

Ug, bad memories.

Year I played college soccer the first two weeks were fully about conditioning. 10,000 yards of wind sprints twice a day. All suicides, all with time limits. I left alot of my meals on the field more than once.

Seeing the award that Coach Yox received the other day caused me to recall an item I saw on a bama site the other day.  The theme was the lack of conditioning of various units, particularly the OL.  It seems as though position coaches were in charge of conditioning for their units, even though bama has a strength coach.  I know position coaches have input, but that CMS gave them the lead in this area is just another example of poor coaching.  The responsibility has now been returned to the strength coach, and comments abounded on how they have trash cans at the end of each aisle to catch the evidence of the hard work.

I kept thinking what a terrible way to judge the effects of a conditioning program, the quantity of vomit that is produced.  I know Yox works our guys hard, but the lack of injuries and the players like McNeil overcoming his injuries are the real tests.  Bama can keep their garbage cans, we can keep Yox.

222358[/snapback]

Yea measuring the amount of vomit that is produced doesnt sound like the best way sum things up. But every conditioning program in college requires ALOT of physical endurence, which means most of the bigger guys are going to need a trash can. Not saying AU doesnt have a good program, im sure its great. But I promise you (even at AU) trash cans are very close by once Mat Drills start.

Ug, bad memories.

Year I played college soccer the first two weeks were fully about conditioning.  10,000 yards of wind sprints twice a day.  All suicides, all with time limits.  I left alot of my meals on the field more than once.

222392[/snapback]

I didnt play soccer, I played football for a year. Those early morning 6 am practices were the worst. Most of us made trips to the trash can.

In order to achieve mid-season form, one addition to uat's conditioning program is to have their quarterbacks do "get-downs" for 30 minutes, so they will be ready for the Auburn game. :poke:

In order to achieve mid-season form, one addition to uat's conditioning program is to have their quarterbacks do "get-downs" for 30 minutes, so they will be ready for the Auburn game. :poke:

222403[/snapback]

In Naval Aviation that is called a "Controlled Ejection."

Guest Tigrinum Major

Coach Yox has done a great job with our players. The fact that he received the award is just further proof.

I have heard him praised for the lack of injuries the last few years and I think that it is true. The times that players get hurt many times is when they are going at less than full speed. No talways, but probably more than half the time.

Even the guys that don't have cut abs and bulging biceps (such as Tommy Jackson) are in great shape and able to go at the end of the game.

War Yox.

Ug, bad memories.

Year I played college soccer the first two weeks were fully about conditioning.  10,000 yards of wind sprints twice a day.  All suicides, all with time limits.  I left alot of my meals on the field more than once.

222392[/snapback]

I didnt play soccer, I played football for a year. Those early morning 6 am practices were the worst. Most of us made trips to the trash can.

222397[/snapback]

Lord yes, was nothing like waking up at 5:30 and know that pain was the first thing on the agenda for the day. We would start out with a 3-5 mile run, timed of course, to make sure we didn't just train the anaerobic abilities of our bodies.

The comments on the trash cans show just how far behind AU is. 

222378[/snapback]

"AU"? I think you meant uat. And Brodie Croyle agrees with you, re uat.

223270[/snapback]

Your right. Excuse my fat fingers.

remember the bammer that said our players were so strong because they were using steroids? I wonder how far his foot is in his mouth now? :muscles::au:

Archived