Tray Blackmon - Auburn's Next Big Thing?

SupperClub

Link

While the strongside linebacker position will be held down by a converted senior safety in Will Herring, the weakside position offers youth packed with overwhelming athleticism.

There are two names currently listed on the depth chart at weakside linebacker: Tray Blackmon and Merrill Johnson.

A redshirt linebacker, Blackmon, has the potential to follow in the line of great AU linebackers that includes names like Karlos Dansby, Dontarrious Thomas and Takeo Spikes, a player Blackmon is often compared to.

The 6-foot, 210-pound youngster redshirted last year because of the presence of Travis Williams and Antarrious Williams. Blackmon was a terror on the scout team and during the Capital One Bowl practices, where the redshirt players are brought to the forefront, he was arguably the best defensive player out there on the field. He was making tackles, bone-jarring hits and playing with an energy that recalled the Takeo Spikes years.

Blackmon - who was a Parade All-American and All-USA Today second team during his senior year at LaGrange High School (GA) - collected 115 tackles, eight sacks, and forced seven fumbles. Blackmon has been clocked in the 40-yard dash at 4.5 seconds.

Blackmon breaks fast to the ball, tackles with force and makes big plays. He also possesses great instincts for a young linebacker. What Blackmon needs to work on is his strength overall and especially in his legs, where it can help him level up when taking on big offensive linemen.

Blackmon came into spring number 2 on the weakside depth chart to Merrill Johnson, who played in 11 games last year and was in on 20 tackles last season as a backup to AW.

Johnson was number 1 on the weakside LB depth chart entering spring practice, but due to an ankle sprain early, Johson was relegated to the sidelines while Blackmon collected most of the reps.

Johnson is built the same way as Blackmon and MJ possesses speed for a linebacker. Johnson will battle Blackmon for the starting job in fall.

It's going to be interesting to see them develop under the tutelage of James Willis, Auburn's new linebackers coach. Willis said during spring practice that the weakside LB is responsible for blitzing the quarterback and making the big play.

The new defense will be much more aggressive in scheme than David Gibbs' playcalling in 2005. Will Muschamp, the Tigers new defensive coordinator, installed more risk-taking schemes in the defense, which could pay big dividends this season.

And the weakside LB position is noted for players who are speedy and making big plays (look at the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, which boasts Derrick Brooks, a future NFL Hall of Famer or in Denver, where Ian Gold patrols).

With Johnson's injury, Steve Gandy, a safety, was moved to weakside LB. Gandy played there and at safety for the rest of practice. Gandy's size and abilities are better suited for safety, but the coaching staff was "mixing-and-matching" guys at different positions and they did this base out of necessity.

Other players, particularly youngsters, could be moved over to weakside, but for now, its a two-man battle for the spot unless someone comes in and blows away the competition between Johnson and Blackmon, which is highly unlikely.

For me personally, Tray is the one player I have been waiting to see since he signed with Auburn. I can't wait to see him lay the wood to some opposing SEC QB's, a'la Karlos Dansby. War Tray!

Blackmon has been clocked in the 40-yard dash at 4.5 seconds.
Willis said during spring practice that the weakside LB is responsible for blitzing the quarterback and making the big play.

Dear God:

Thank you for making last year my senior season at bammer.

Sincerely,

Brodie Croyle

:big:

Man, reading those quotes makes me DROOL... I was/still am a HUGE Takeo Spikes fan. To see him reincarnated in this kid will be goosebump worthy.

His hits during Spring ball as well as the bowl practices gave me aches.

did Takeo make it to the pro Bowl every year?? except for this year.

232176[/snapback]

Nope, Takeo only made the pro bowl in 2003 and 2004 his two season as a Bill. He should have made it in 2002. It will be great to see him back in a Bills uni, he is about the only bright spot I have on an otherwise hapless bills squad.

232176[/snapback]

It will be great to see him back in a Bills uni, he is about the only bright spot I have on an otherwise hapless bills squad.

232204[/snapback]

Come on, you're not excited about Lee Evans?

Blackmon has been clocked in the 40-yard dash at 4.5 seconds.
Willis said during spring practice that the weakside LB is responsible for blitzing the quarterback and making the big play.

Dear God:

Thank you for making last year my senior season at bammer.

Sincerely,

Brodie Croyle

:big:

Man, reading those quotes makes me DROOL... I was/still am a HUGE Takeo Spikes fan. To see him reincarnated in this kid will be goosebump worthy.

232069[/snapback]

Takeo is great. Tray is faster, but smaller. He sounds like a blend of Takeo and Travis Williams.

I can't wait to watch him play.

232176[/snapback]

It will be great to see him back in a Bills uni, he is about the only bright spot I have on an otherwise hapless bills squad.

232204[/snapback]

Come on, you're not excited about Lee Evans?

232208[/snapback]

:puke: yeah as excited about Evans as I am having Peerless Price back on the squad. <_<

Archived