Could Bush Lose the Heisman link

JohnDeere

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2419079

Could Bush lose his Heisman?

The director of the Heisman Trophy Trust told ESPN's Joe Schad on Monday that he will reach out to board members to determine the potential ramifications of an investigation involving 2005 winner Reggie Bush.

"We're doing some soul-searching ourselves right now," Rob Whalen said. "To the best of my knowledge no one has ever had a Heisman Trophy revoked."

Whalen said he's already begun to receive e-mails from Texas fans who believe runner-up Vince Young should now receive the trophy.

"Clearly that's premature," Whalen said. "Let's see what happens and how this plays out."

The official Heisman ballot includes this wording: "In order that there will be no misunderstanding regarding the eligibility of a candidate, the recipient of the award MUST be a bona fide student of an accredited university. The recipient must be in compliance with the bylaws defining an NCAA student."

• Schad on Reggie Bush

Could he? Yes. Will he? No. I dont see any reason to punish USC unless someone on the coaching staff or the boosters knew about it and encouraged it. However, If the accusations are true, I think Bush should be hit with some penalty along with his parents. You don't move from an apartment to a 3002 Sq foot house in San Deigo.

It does give us something to talk about but to take away the heisman is crazy he was the best player by far last year 3000sq ft house or not!

It does give us something to talk about but to take away the heisman is crazy he was the best player by far last year 3000sq ft house or not!

232382[/snapback]

he may very well have been, but that doesn't excuse him for breaking the rules, and not adhering to the standards and rules the NCAA has in place. If he was with an agent, then the trophy should be stripped and left vacant for 2005. It should not be awarded to any other player on any kind of technicality. Just my opinion.

Scarbinsky weighs in (for what it is worth).

Take away Reggie Bush's Heisman Trophy.

Forfeit every game his USC team won in the last three years, except maybe that Auburn game in 2003. He didn't play much that night.

Vacate the national championships. Strip away scholarships. Issue a postseason ban. Make Pete Carroll get a buzz cut.

These are just a few of the helpful suggestions for the NCAA from Alabama football fans in the strange case of the house of Bush.

Not that they're bitter or anything.

Every time they get a whiff of a potential scandal involving another major college football program, some Tide fans sound remarkably like Cubs fans.

They hope for the best (death penalty?) and expect the worst (wrist slap).

Like the rest of college football, they'll be keeping both eyes on this developing story because the odor drifting in from southern California doesn't smell good.

The money Logan Young supposedly shelled out for Albert Means might not landscape the back yard at the big house near San Diego where Bush's mother, stepfather and brother lived for the past year.

And, unlike the man who bought the house, Young never expressed any desire to work for Means in some sort of marketing capacity.

Bush told ESPN on Monday that there's a perfectly logical explanation for all this, though he declined to offer it at the time.

Let's hope he and his family get the chance to sit down for a nice, long chat to explain everything to someone like Rich Johanningmeier. You can bet he'll ask tougher questions than Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon.

The Pac-10 has stepped up and declared that it'll examine the situation - imagine a conference that lets its members know before it investigates them - but it's the NCAA that has an extra obligation to get out its microscope on this one.

The Trojans didn't beat Texas in the Rose Bowl to retain their national title, but they remain the glamour boys of college football.

They can't be perceived as above the law.

If Bush's family got a sweet deal on a posh house because of his stature as the best player in college football, that's an extra benefit. That sounds like a violation at least as severe as Antonio Langham's pledge on the back of a cocktail napkin to sign with an agent.

That violation helped cause Alabama to forfeit games and lose one year of postseason play.

Don't tell Alabama fans it's not a big deal if USC knew nothing about the Bush family house until now. No one ever proved that Alabama knew about Young's deal with Means' high school coach.

Yet that violation helped cause Alabama to lose 21 scholarships and two years of postseason play.

Since Alabama last got busted, there have been 15 major infractions cases involving Division I-A football programs. If the NCAA's major infractions database is correct - big if, Ronnie Cottrell would say - those 15 programs combined lost two years of postseason play.

Either everyone's been scared straight or the NCAA has gone soft.

The last word on the first pick in the NFL draft may provide the answer.

Scarbinsky

Dammit.  I am going to send that little SOB a letter.  Comparing Cubs fans to Bammer fans...sheesh.

232480[/snapback]

I don't think the comparison is too far off, both groups of fans are a bunch of whiners. :poke:

Dammit.  I am going to send that little SOB a letter.  Comparing Cubs fans to Bammer fans...sheesh.

232480[/snapback]

I don't think the comparison is too far off, both groups of fans are a bunch of whiners. :poke:

232506[/snapback]

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Archived