Big Brother outrage

quietfan

For you outraged types:  Please provide me with examples of methods for collecting intelligence to which you would provide your stamp of approval. (1)

If you don't feel there are any methods that make you feel comfortable, then please tell me exactly how you think the government should go about protecting you from terrorist threats, and how you intend to respond to the government the next time a possibly preventable event occurs.

I am curious to see how you would define an acceptable policy and defensive strategy. (2)

234952[/snapback]

NO ONE ever answered my question...

236587[/snapback]

Sorry, I though I had:

(1) What sort of intelligence gathering would I approve of? Spying aimed at specific individuals based on prior suspicion, or limited searches under the auspices of legitimate warrants issued by a court (even the secret NSIA court) based on probable cause.

(2) I just fear the universal eroding of constitutional rights more than I fear dying from a terrorist’s dirty bomb.  Ordinary criminals kill many more Americans every year, and I am much more likely to die from the actions of a petty criminal enterprise than from a terrorist act, but I would be equally opposed to such a universal registry of citizens’ behavior to protect me from that.

234968[/snapback]

Or, to clarify #2 a bit more: I want a policy/strategy that does not sacrifice the freedoms that make us America for fear of some future attack. If we let fear of the terrorists cause us to abandon what America stands for, then they have won already.

Also, as far as #1, I added:

Here's how I think this should have been handled: You want to investigate associates of, say, Khalid Sheik Mohammed? Let's assume you have sufficient probable cause on him. Start by getting a legal warrant for his phone records (use the secret NSIA Court if security is a concern).  Those records can be used to identify the persons he's talked to.  If any of those persons sticks out because of name/location/frequency or timing of calls, etc., i.e., if there is again sufficient probable cause, proceed to get a proper warrant for that person's records and repeat the process.  Each step is then protected by due process and court scrutiny.  Don't start by saying "Oh, let's just get every American's records and see if something suspicious pops up."

235072[/snapback]

236628[/snapback]

Yeah, Jenny...Whatcha want?

;)

Most of the arguments put forward against this are the same ones that were put forward to stop the deployment of ANI or caller ID type services in the past within the US in the past. The reality is, courts have ruled over and over that we have very few privacy rights when it comes to phone communications; and even less on wireless phone communications.

There is no universal constitutionally protected privacy right regarding your phone number or it's use. Anyone can pick up you cell phone conversations; it is not illegal to monitor them.

The "experts" who are calling this illegal seem to have a very poor understanding of what the Courts have actually said in the past on this topic. Those who actually work in the field, are acurately assessing the legality of the program.

Keep me and my family safe......given the nature of my phone calls, I have a high likelyhood of actually showing up in a search like this since I call the US from a little bit of everywhere (Dubai coming up next). It doesn't phase me in the least as I have no connection to terrorists and would be more than happy to explain what I am doing.

Those doing all the hand-wringing will be the first to complain about not protecting them when something happens.....when you make omelets, you break eggs....

Archived