The reason Nagin was re-elected

DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE WORKED TO DEFEAT NAGIN

**Exclusive**

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) secretly placed political operatives in the city of New Orleans to work against the reelection efforts of incumbent Democrat Mayor Ray Nagin, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

DNC Chairman Howard Dean made the decision himself to back mayoral candidate and sitting Lieutenant Governor Mitch Landrieu (D-LA), sources reveal.

Dean came to the decision to back the white challenger, over the African-American incumbent Nagin, despite concerns amongst senior black officials in the Party that the DNC should stay neutral.

The DNC teams actively worked to defeat Nagin under the auspice of the committee's voting rights program.

The party's field efforts also coincided with a national effort by Democrat contributors to support Landrieu.

Landrieu had outraised Nagin by a wide margin - $3.3 million to $541,980.

Preliminary campaign finance reports indicate many of Landrieu’s contributions came from out of state white Democrat leaders and financiers, including a $1,000 contribution from Sen. Ben Nelson's (D-NE) PAC.

The defeat of Mitch Landrieu is the latest setback for Dean's often criticized field operation.

In his victory speech late Saturday night, Nagin praised President Bush.

"You and I have probably been the most vilified politicians in the country. But I want to thank you for moving that promise that you made in Jackson Square forward," Nagin said

Link

....also because apparently either nearly 53% of the people in New Orleans are complete idiots or have very short memories. Sorry guys, but if NO goes under water again and the same crap happens, I will have not sympathy whatsoever for the people.

Guys. Nagin played the race card as well as any I've ever seen and got away with it. His "Chocolate City" statement would have gotten most people defeated in a heartbeat if he had not been so aware of the fact that he had to have absentee votes to win. Moreover, there were some dim witted whites who crossed over and voted for him on the premise that he was "experienced" in this area. Seems like they forgot he didn't know what the H--- to do and probably still doesn't. Oh well, Good Night and Good luck! :blink:

Nagin is a life-long Republican who was supported by the white establishment in New Orleans. He switched to the Dem party right before the last election much as Michael Bloomberg switched to the Republican Party in NYC-- to get elected. This election was more complicated than most national commentators realize.

Nagin is a life-long Republican who was supported by the white establishment in New Orleans.  He switched to the Dem party right before the last election much as Michael Bloomberg switched to the Republican Party in NYC-- to get elected.  This election was more complicated than most national commentators realize.

236288[/snapback]

To me, this has nothing to do with parties. I don't care if he would have ran as a republican, this guy was a complete moron and left his people behind when Katrina hit! Hundreds of public and school buses were sitting in lots and never used. For him to get re-elected shows that apparently the majority of NO residents are complete idiots!

Nagin is a life-long Republican who was supported by the white establishment in New Orleans.  He switched to the Dem party right before the last election much as Michael Bloomberg switched to the Republican Party in NYC-- to get elected.  This election was more complicated than most national commentators realize.

236288[/snapback]

To me, this has nothing to do with parties. I don't care if he would have ran as a republican, this guy was a complete moron and left his people behind when Katrina hit! Hundreds of public and school buses were sitting in lots and never used. For him to get re-elected shows that apparently the majority of NO residents are complete idiots!

236352[/snapback]

Maybe. But the Republicans in the state didn't care to give Mitch Landrieu a spotlight. And many others in New Orleans may have seen him as "the past."

Do some people have any idea what they are talking about? Like...at all?

I did not vote for Nagin. I voted for Mitch L, his opponent.

But to hear people talk about Nagin is really funny because people look at his choc comment and run with it instead of looking at the facts of what he did before and has done right now with Katrina.

He was the first mayor in the last 30 years to actually clean up the police force. Instead of hiring friends or politician policeman, he actually got rid of numerous corrupt police officers in the higher ups and finally put in men who knew what they were doing.

For the first time in 20 years, he was able to connect with local businessmen all around New Orleans, Metairie, and Kenner Pre-Katrina like we hadn't seen in years.

He got rid of numerous school councilman/women who had done nothing for years and instead sat on their fat asses while our school systems failed worse every year.

He was a big reason why the Hornets came to New Orleans as he secured numerous local businessmen's money for their arrival, which was vital.

To top it all off, the guy is far from an actual racist. Even after his comments, he is one of the best mayors we have had in terms of caucasion connections then I have ever heard about since the 80's.

I mean....this is just the first of many

And I did NOT vote for him.

236288[/snapback]

236352[/snapback]

Maybe. But the Republicans in the state didn't care to give Mitch Landrieu a spotlight. And many others in New Orleans may have seen him as "the past."

236360[/snapback]

Again, what does this have to with party? The people do the voting themselves. Party leaders do not put a gun to anybody's head. The fact that this guy was re-elected is by the people, not by an party.

SL, the guy may have did all sorts of stuff and it sounds great. If you notice, I did not even reference the comment he made even though it was dumb thing to say. I base my opinion on the fact that he made sure he got out of dodge while the poor black people were left where they lived while plenty of buses sit idle and got flooded themselves. Would you not agree that on that point alone, the man does not need to be the leader of your city? He may have did a bunch of other good things for the city, when it came to to be a true leader, he failed miserably.

236288[/snapback]

236352[/snapback]

236360[/snapback]

Again, what does this have to with party? The people do the voting themselves. Party leaders do not put a gun to anybody's head. The fact that this guy was re-elected is by the people, not by an party.

236369[/snapback]

I'm not really arguing with you, dude, just offerin' a little perspective.

SL, the guy may have did all sorts of stuff and it sounds great. If you notice, I did not even reference the comment he made even though it was dumb thing to say. I base my opinion on the fact that he made sure he got out of dodge while the poor black people were left where they lived while plenty of buses sit idle and got flooded themselves. Would you not agree that on that point alone, the man does not need to be the leader of your city? He may have did a bunch of other good things for the city, when it came to to be a true leader, he failed miserably.

236369[/snapback]

No, I don't. He was not the reason the levee's broke. Everyone who wanted to get out of the city....got out. Those that stayed were not leaving anyway. When you hear about Rita terror stories, you hear about people on the roads being stuck in Dallas, Houston, ext....no stories exist about people being stuck in New Orleans while trying to evacute on the highways or roads.

As for the bus argument, why do people bring that up when 2 blocks away their were fine, usable buses at the Algeirs Bus Station? That is why nobody down here ever uses that argument anymore.

You don't feel bad for us because he got re-elected? I still have no idea why you say that.

I love that Nagin has now bad-mouthing the trash companies down here for taking too long to pick up trash. The last 10 mayors would have sat on their asses and done nothing as usual.

Nagin is NOT the reason for the slow progress in Lakeview and the 9th Ward. It is a combination of numerous problems including FEMA that moves at a snails pace for anything

In fact, the mayor before Nagin was Mark Morial who graduated from my High School, Jesuit, and I still hate his lazy, corrupt SOB ass.

SL, he blamed everybody but himself for the screwups in NO after the hurricane hit. He did not even try to take a little blame for the lack of organization with getting the lower income people out and also the FUBAR situation at the Superdome. There is no way you can convince me that this man did nothing wrong as the leader of that city when they needed him the most.

Are you sure you didn't vote for him? :poke:

SL, he blamed everybody but himself for the screwups in NO after the hurricane hit.

He has gone on TV (WWL, WDSU, ext...) numerous times in the last few months saying he made numerous mistakes.

Not sure where you think he has never blamed himself.

A big portion of his new campaign was what he learned from his MISTAKES during Katrina.

did not even try to take a little blame for the lack of organization with getting the lower income people out and also the FUBAR situation at the Superdome.

Got 80%+ of the city out which is quite impressive to me.

There is no way you can convince me that this man did nothing wrong as the leader of that city when they needed him the most.

Nothing? He did a LOT wrong. I am simply pushing you for specific reasons instead of

"He sucks!"

"He is to blame for Katrina!"

"He is a racist"

Are you sure you didn't vote for him? :poke:

Unless my vote was changed, not at all.

I liked his opponent who went to my HS (Jesuit) and is also a Democrat.

Archived